Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on agent

Hi, I've recently been approached by a trainee agent at CAA who after seeing a short film of mine on youtube asked for material sending through.

Trouble is I've been reading up on how much the spec script market is in the dog house and I'm wondering if this will work out.
    I know I should try anyway but I don't know what to expect.
    UTA is a massive agency but is that enough to sell a script should they get behind it?
    Isn't that only the first step with the rest relying on the hope that a studio may or may not be interested in it.

I always thought once an agent has your script and champions to sell it that's it, it's as good as in, although this may now not be the case.

This agent is prepared to evaluate and critique too he seems very keen on forging this relationship but has assured me that unless it sells they cannot represent me and as I have said that seems like a super slim chance after reading that only about 62 spec scripts a year are sold and that it is totally right script, right time.

What is the situation I am facing? I'd really appreciate some advice.
    Last edited by Super Existence; 03-30-2011, 04:19 PM.

Re: Advice on agent

Originally posted by Super Existence View Post
    Hi, I've recently been approached by a trainee agent at UTA who after seeing a short film of mine on youtube asked for material sending through.

Trouble is I've been reading up on how much the spec script market is in the dog house and I'm wondering if this will work out.
    I know I should try anyway but I don't know what to expect.
    UTA is a massive agency but is that enough to sell a script should they get behind it?
    Isn't that only the first step with the rest relying on the hope that a studio may or may not be interested in it.

I always thought once an agent has your script and champions to sell it that's it, it's as good as in, although this may now not be the case.

This agent is prepared to evaluate and critique too he seems very keen on forging this relationship but has assured me that unless it sells they cannot represent me and as I have said that seems like a super slim chance after reading that only about 62 spec scripts a year are sold and that it is totally right script, right time.

What is the situation I am facing? I'd really appreciate some advice.
    What do you have to lose? Where's the downside?

Comment

Gotta agree. At this point, I'd let anyone who wants to read my script read it. Never know where they may take me. It's about all taking risks.

Comment

I think he may be worried about having his script go out, maybe by an inexperienced agent to people who don't buy/option it, then it dies.

But any kind of exposure is a good thing for you, especially as a new writer. There's nothing you could lose. Plenty of **** fails to sell even when the market is hot, maybe a meeting or assignment could come out of an agent's work too.

Comment

Ask yourself this - what are you doing now that's so important?

Don't over-think it. This is an opportunity for you. It may not lead to anything, but then again, it could. So don't say no, just go for it.
          @TerranceMulloy

Comment

I wonder if you're not worried about being disappointed. Take a chance on yourself.
            It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

go for it!
              Writing bio: http://seanryanmovies.blogspot.ie/2012/09/my-bio.html

Comment

You're being hip-pocketed. Enjoy and be careful not to choke on the lint and the chewed coin bags.

And why the CAA/UTA double-speak?

Farnsworth, is that...you?
                "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

No pain, no gain. Who else have you got knocking on your bedroom door?
                  http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Best case scenario, all your dreams come true. Worst case scenario, nothing comes of it. Where's the problem? Do it.

Comment

So...is it CAA or UTA?

Comment

Working...
                      X