Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concept posters in your query?

I was interested in getting your guys' opinion on including a visual piece (say a concept poster) with your query email or letter? Has anyone done this with success/failure in the past? Would also love to hear from a agent/manager/studio person's perspective on this if they are so obliged.

I ask this because I feel having that visual aid would do two important things: 1) perhaps give your query a bit of separation from every other query, and (more importantly) 2) give the recipient a much better visual idea of what you're going for along with the log line (as they say a picture is worth a thousand words and yada, yada).

As a reference, here's what I was planning on sending when I start querying soon: http://bit.ly/z9LPZN.
    Smiling Girl (short) // Treasure (short)

Re: Concept posters in your query?

Ordinarily, I'd say that it was a horrible idea... But I'd watch that movie. So if the person you're querying thinks like me you'll be golden. And should let me know who they are!
    Trainee Writer Blog

Comment

Originally posted by rahulvictor View Post
      I was interested in getting your guys' opinion on including a visual piece (say a concept poster) with your query email or letter? Has anyone done this with success/failure in the past? Would also love to hear from a agent/manager/studio person's perspective on this if they are so obliged.

I ask this because I feel having that visual aid would do two important things: 1) perhaps give your query a bit of separation from every other query, and (more importantly) 2) give the recipient a much better visual idea of what you're going for along with the log line (as they say a picture is worth a thousand words and yada, yada).

As a reference, here's what I was planning on sending when I start querying soon: http://bit.ly/z9LPZN.
      I don't think it's a good idea.

Comment

Might as well. People are breaking in with sizzles, reedit, twitter etc. so why not?

Your specific poster looks a ton like Rivals/Dogfight/whatever they're calling the Galifinakis+Ferrell movie.

Comment

Kandiman - thanks!

SBScript - would you mind elaborating on why it wouldn't be a good idea? If I'm not mistaken you're a manager so certainly your opinion carries weight.

Hilario - such is Hollywood, although reading what little is out there on Dog Fight, it seems it's fairly different from mine. I did write it with Zach G in mind (thus the poster) but hoping to get in touch with Charlie Day now.
          Smiling Girl (short) // Treasure (short)

Comment

Originally posted by rahulvictor View Post
            Kandiman - thanks!

SBScript - would you mind elaborating on why it wouldn't be a good idea? If I'm not mistaken you're a manager so certainly your opinion carries weight.

Hilario - such is Hollywood, although reading what little is out there on Dog Fight, it seems it's fairly different from mine. I did write it with Zach G in mind (thus the poster) but hoping to get in touch with Charlie Day now.
            SBScript thinks it's a bad idea because all you're supposed to do in a query is pitch a logline. Granted, your poster is interesting, but it might ruin your chances of getting your script read.
            "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

The problem is that sending attachments is often considered a no-no.

If you were snail-mailing queries, I wouldn't see any problem with printing that graphic in some of the white space on the page. But in an email, attachments from people you don't know are often covers for bad things ...

Comment

The answer is NO.

Don't do it.

You won't be taken seriously.

It's not a new idea.

Plenty of amateurs have made the same mistake.

All you're doing is advertising that you are a new writer.

New writers who try to get cute with their queries and screenplay covers usually suck.

An attachment could also land your query in the spam folder or booted as a potential virus.
                Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
                  SBScript thinks it's a bad idea because all you're supposed to do in a query is pitch a logline. Granted, your poster is interesting, but it might ruin your chances of getting your script read.
                  Yes, exactly. Your query should do one thing only--create enough interest in your target to get a "yes."

If your logline is good, if it is in a genre that they are interested in, if it sounds commercial, then they are probably going to say yes. You want them to be interested in the idea...in their own way

From that point on, it's very easy to turn a yes into a no. Including a poster or concept art, even if it's well done, limits the possibilities in how they will see the idea by being very specific. That can work against your goal, which is simply getting a read request.

If it's badly done, of course, you've just done even more to turn the yes into the no.

Comment

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
                    Yes, exactly. Your query should do one thing only--create enough interest in your target to get a "yes."

If your logline is good, if it is in a genre that they are interested in, if it sounds commercial, then they are probably going to say yes. You want them to be interested in the idea...in their own way

From that point on, it's very easy to turn a yes into a no. Including a poster or concept art, even if it's well done, limits the possibilities in how they will see the idea by being very specific. That can work against your goal, which is simply getting a read request.

If it's badly done, of course, you've just done even more to turn the yes into the no.
                    Not to mention that without the approval of the actor on the poster, you put out the possibility of getting a cease and desist if he (or his reps) came across it and didn't like you doing it without their permission.

At the same time, if you have some great stuff that really helps everyone visualize your script, it can work wonders. They weren't going to let Ridley Scott near Alien until he showed them his concept drawings, but this was after he had representation. Plus, he didn't use anyone's image without permission.

Now, if you get in touch with Zach Galifianakis and he says "Sure, shop it around, I'd love to do it!" then I'm sure a poster would be a great thing to send to studios and prodcos.

Comment

Originally posted by christopher jon View Post
                      The answer is NO.

Don't do it.

You won't be taken seriously.

It's not a new idea.

Plenty of amateurs have made the same mistake.

All you're doing is advertising that you are a new writer.

New writers who try to get cute with their queries and screenplay covers usually suck.

An attachment could also land your query in the spam folder or booted as a potential virus.
                      Concur.

Comment

Working...
                      X