Shouldn't Agents and Managers Get Residuals Too?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shouldn't Agents and Managers Get Residuals Too?

Sacrilege!!!!

What?!!

Am I out of my mind? Should I be burned at the stake for even asking such a thing about the very small blood-soaked piece of Earth the WGA has fought for so valiantly for? Perhaps.

However, if an agent/manager/lawyer gets your script sold, which I would think it is fair to assume would not be sold otherwise-- or why would you need an agent/manager/lawyer... then it seems only fair that they would have some entitlement to all proceeds of that sale they helped actually make possible.

I would rather share the wealth than not have any in the first place....

It's not like it would hurt your reputation with you agent- unless you just really hate him or her- if they got a small check four times a year for work they helped you get.

If you want to hate on me for even asking the question that is fine, but if somebody can give me an intelligent answer besides "because that is the way it is" I would be glad to hear it.
    Get busy writin' or get busy dyin'.
    http://www.kiva.org/team/hollywood

Re: Shouldn't Agents and Managers Get Residuals Too?

Here's the short answer -

Residuals are NOT a form of profit sharing.

Residuals are payments that compensate writers for the re-use of their material.

This system exists, in part, because when working for studios we sign over our copyright and therefore have no claim on royalties, as authors do on novels or musicians do on the music they write.

Comment

no, and **** no

the already get a check cut off the top of the writer's earnings as commission. that's what they get paid for making the sale happen

Comment

Originally posted by jimjimgrande View Post
        Here's the short answer -

Residuals are NOT a form of profit sharing.

Residuals are payments that compensate writers for the re-use of their material.

This system exists, in part, because when working for studios we sign over our copyright and therefore have no claim on royalties, as authors do on novels or musicians do on the music they write.
        Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
        no, and **** no

the already get a check cut off the top of the writer's earnings as commission. that's what they get paid for making the sale happen
        That makes sense...so this is a stretch, but from what I gather it is more like the action of a commercial real estate broker. They may sell the building for a business to move into, but they are not entitiled to the profits the business makes once the building is sold and the deal is closed.
        Get busy writin' or get busy dyin'.
        http://www.kiva.org/team/hollywood

Comment

This feels like fishing. The answer is no.

If you have a script that sells, you are a rare and talented motherfvcker. That means you have given your reps an OPPORTUNITY to make money off of it and you (on going).

One of the deals of the partnership is they don't ask for a % of resids and you don't deny them commissions on projects they didn't get you (which is a net win for them in most cases).

But again, we all know this was bait. What bothered me about your post is that it assumes writers are lucky to get reps. This...
          gets your script sold, which I would think it is fair to assume would not be sold otherwise
          ...is retarded.

Writers at any given moment have their choice of reps. If you have a hot spec, reps and studios fight for you because you have the most magical thing of all: a seed that can birth a movie from nothing.

Blargh. I bit.

Comment

I would rather share the wealth than not have any in the first place....
            10% is not enough wealth sharing?
            Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

Your agent doesn't negotiate residuals, the WGA does. It's part of the MBA.

That's why you still pay WGA dues on residuals.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Karate View Post
                Your agent doesn't negotiate residuals, the WGA does.
                As does your other-half's divorce lawyer.

Comment

Working...
                X