No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Famous uncle as an 'in'?

Hi all,

I've been lurking this forum for quite some time. My writing partner and I recently finished drafts of some screenplays and we feel that they are just about ready to be presented to managers and agents for consideration, but here's the deal (and I hope that this doesn't come off 'turd-ish'): My writing partner has a very famous (director) uncle, but currently he's insanely busy and extremely inaccessible. We considered going to him for an 'in' but realize that it might take quite some time before he could help us out. Regardless, we are aware that it means nothing unless our work is good, so we've decided to query without his help just to see if we can get a response. The ultimate question is, should we even be trying to trade on my writing partners name with these people that we query? We don't want to come off as entitled douches, but it's very tempting to at least try and use his last name as a way in. Additionally if we were to try and open some doors with his name, is there even a tactful way to do it?

Again, I really hope this doesn't come off badly, just wanted some honest advice and or opinions. Thanks!

Re: Famous uncle as an 'in'?

Originally posted by lt47 View Post
    The ultimate question is, should we even be trying to trade on my writing partners name with these people that we query?
    What specifically does that mean?

If your partner's name is Spielberg, then it goes on the script. If his name is Smith, are you asking if it's non-douchey to put in your query letter, "As I recall my Uncle Stephen SPIELBERG telling me at my Bar Mitzvah..."?

Comment

Originally posted by Manchester View Post
      What specifically does that mean?

If your partner's name is Spielberg, then it goes on the script. If his name is Smith, are you asking if it's non-douchey to put in your query letter, "As I recall my Uncle Stephen SPIELBERG telling me at my Bar Mitzvah..."?
      Well we were just thinking to put his last name in bold... But in a sense. He wants to use it as a conversation starter with people but at the same time doesn't want to be an ass-hole.

Comment

Do they or don't they have the same last name?

Comment

They do. It's fairly recognizable.

Comment

Then they should recognize it without the bold face type.
            "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

They do. It's fairly recognizable.
              In that case, what's the problem? That is, if people are gonna make the connection, let them make the connection. Then when they do, take it from there.

Beyond that... I can see it being a bit awkward from a sentence-structure perspective to mention it in a letter since there are two of you. If it were just the guy with the uncle, he could say something along the lines of, "Movies are a family thing..." But with the two of you. Maybe you could say in a query, "We were inspired by [enter name here of movie directed by the uncle, but don't mention his name]." Wink-wink, nudge-nudge.

Of course, you should consider why someone you're targeting would care. And think how the conversation might go after your partner name-drops. "Oh, Steven's your uncle? How's he doing? And what's [name of Uncle Steven's kid/your partner's cousin] doing now?"

In my experience, it's not simply a matter of name-dropping being good/bad, it's whether the person doing it can sell it. So, for example, even if your partner is very close to his uncle, it could still come across as being phoney - as if they are NOT close at all, which would not be good. And in an industry infamous for everyone claiming to know everyone, it's even more difficult to pull this off in a non-douchey way - again, even if your partner really is close with his uncle.

Comment

Additionally if we were to try and open some doors with his name, is there even a tactful way to do it?
                I can't imagine a non-douchey way.

I think it's far more likely that Uncle Director can get someone at his agency's lit dept. to read you. Keep at him.
                ==========

Comment

Originally posted by Hasil Adkins View Post
                  I can't imagine a non-douchey way.

I think it's far more likely that Uncle Director can get someone at his agency's lit dept. to read you. Keep at him.
                  Wait so the bolding the last name trick WOULD look douchey? (kidding)

But yeah, I guess the real answer is patience...

Comment

Maybe it's the cynic in me (since I obviously don't know you or your situation) but if I got queried by someone with a famous director uncle, I would wonder why they didn't just go to him.

If they told me he was busy or they didn't want to bother him, I would just assume that they had already called in too many favors and he's too polite to tell them their work's not good enough.

Seems fishy is all I'm saying. Anyone could write under a famous sounding pseudonym. Best not to mention it at all.

Good luck.

Comment

I had a similar connection and decided not to mention it while querying agents and managers. I brought it up only when I decided to sign, after the offer had been made.

I guess in some respects, I wanted to prove I could do it on my own. I also didn't want to ask that person for favors, for a variety of reasons (although he offered to do so repeatedly). I'm happy with how it turned out, but if I'd been querying for years and years, I'm sure I would used every possible "in".

Comment

How about being honest. Say you both want to prove yourselves without trading on the uncle's name. There's something noble in that. Honesty always resonates.
                        Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Opps - in my haste I misread. You do want to trade on his name but you don't want it to be obvious. 'Scusa.
                          Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Here's what you do.

You ask the uncles assistant to read your script and give you notes.

If he loves it, he'll tell his boss, who may or may not read it, but will certainly give the go ahead for his assistant to pass it on to someone at his agency.

If you've really written something that's great and ready for the big time, people will love it and champion it because finding a great script makes you a hero.

If he reads it, has a bunch of notes, or more likely, takes forever and a half to get back to you, then it's probably not ready.

Just have your friend email the uncle and ask if he can contact his assistant for a read.

Unless there's bad blood in the family, he'll say sure.

Comment

Originally posted by jimjimgrande View Post
                              You ask the uncles assistant to read your script and give you notes.
                              Darn, beat me to it. But I'd also encourage you to get the assistant a gift of some kind after he's returned notes so it's not like you're the douche relative for whom the assistant has to add one more script on the pile.

Comment

Working...
                              X