Targeting an Agency/Management Company Based on a Specific Actor?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Targeting an Agency/Management Company Based on a Specific Actor?

Has anyone had any success querying a talent agency or manager by pitching a screenplay or series for a certain actor or actress? Or is this more likely viewed as unprofessional?

Not talking about pitching for an A-lister, although I imagine that is done, but I have a project that would work for a lesser known actress who just signed a talent holding deal with a network, so they are definitely looking to develop something for her.

Re: Targeting an Agency/Management Company Based on a Specific Actor?

You've been on here before with your synopsis' and pitch questions.

Look...

Just sit down WRITE the entire project(s) you're talking about and stop worrying about pitching ideas - you're in no position to get them interested without finished product... you're not getting them interested without a screenplay/pilot already written.

It's all about finished product - 'ideas' have zero value for you.

Now go and write!!!

:-)

Comment

Originally posted by kenp View Post
      You've been on here before with your synopsis' and pitch questions.

Look...

Just sit down WRITE the entire project(s) you're talking about and stop worrying about pitching ideas - you're in no position to get them interested without finished product... you're not getting them interested without a screenplay/pilot already written.

It's all about finished product - 'ideas' have zero value for you.

Now go and write!!!

:-)
      Why do you assume I haven't written anything? I have posted a few questions about some things I am still outlining, yes, but I also have a large number of completed scripts. Why do you think I would be asking about pitching if I didn't?

Comment

My mistake - I thought you just had a bunch of outlines that you were trying to pitch.

Carry on...

K

Comment

Originally posted by kskywalker View Post
          Has anyone had any success querying a talent agency or manager by pitching a screenplay or series for a certain actor or actress? Or is this more likely viewed as unprofessional?

Not talking about pitching for an A-lister, although I imagine that is done, but I have a project that would work for a lesser known actress who just signed a talent holding deal with a network, so they are definitely looking to develop something for her.
          Do you have a specific lesser known actress in mind? Or are you saying a lesser known actress in general? I don't know about the querying aspect, but I've had more success calling the manager and discussing that type of thing. If you're not a decent talker or don't have your ducks in a row then maybe just stick to the query method though.
          "Making movies is a collaborative process...bend over."

Comment

I've tried in the past and it can be worthwhile. I contacted an actress' agent once and heard nothing back, left it at that. Then I saw Dock's response and tried her manager instead. She's requested the script and everything's gravy. So yeah, follow his advice on this one

Comment

Thanks, guys. I was asking in general, but there is a specific actress I have in mind. I'm going to see if I can contact her representatives.

Comment

Yea, I've found that managers are a bit more open to listening to something that may be of interest to their client versus and agent who is moreso focused on getting their client paid (definitely nothing wrong with that). Good luck to both of you.
                "Making movies is a collaborative process...bend over."

Comment

Sometime back I contacted a large Hollywood agency that represented a major comedy star. The agent answered the call and was rude and hung up on me. Then a month or so later, he called me and asked me to send the script for his client. They took a pass, but it indicates sometimes the rules will bend. Usually though, a writer can not contact a star through his agent or manager. They will say, send it only through an agent we know, or ask if the project has studio financing. Hollywood is a very closed system.

Here's an interesting story: I once wrote a personal letter to Eli Wallach, "Tuco" in "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly," hoping to interest him in a play. In the letter, I complained about Hollywood agents. I thought my effort was ridiculous, until one day a two page, hand written letter arrived from, guess who, Mr. Eli Wallach. In the letter he sympathized with me about agents and was very friendly. I should have saved the letter. I will always remember Eli Wallach.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeD View Post
                    Sometime back I contacted a large Hollywood agency that represented a major comedy star. The agent answered the call and was rude and hung up on me. Then a month or so later, he called me and asked me to send the script for his client. They took a pass, but it indicates sometimes the rules will bend. Usually though, a writer can not contact a star through his agent or manager. They will say, send it only through an agent we know, or ask if the project has studio financing. Hollywood is a very closed system.

Here's an interesting story: I once wrote a personal letter to Eli Wallach, "Tuco" in "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly," hoping to interest him in a play. In the letter, I complained about Hollywood agents. I thought my effort was ridiculous, until one day a two page, hand written letter arrived from, guess who, Mr. Eli Wallach. In the letter he sympathized with me about agents and was very friendly. I should have saved the letter. I will always remember Eli Wallach.
                    Nice story. I think I got the contact info for her manager so hopefully this works out. I'll keep everyone updated if it does move forward.

Comment

Working...
                    X