X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CoC merging with D/F Management

Anyone else see this story today?

D/F Management to merge with Circle of Confusion

Looks like these two are joining forces to bring together a single consolidated management company that handles literary and acting talent.

On the one hand, great. More powerful management companies with larger, more diverse stables of personnel typically means more industry clout. On the other hand, bummer. Fewer discrete companies usually means they also dump a certain portion of their client roster, since one company cannot usually provide as much individualized attention as two or more.

Thoughts?

Re: CoC merging with D/F Management

I only see an upside right now. The same reps who deal with writers don't usually deal with actors. This only makes the company stronger.
    Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by UglyShirts View Post
      Anyone else see this story today?

D/F Management to merge with Circle of Confusion

Looks like these two are joining forces to bring together a single consolidated management company that handles literary and acting talent.

On the one hand, great. More powerful management companies with larger, more diverse stables of personnel typically means more industry clout. On the other hand, bummer. Fewer discrete companies usually means they also dump a certain portion of their client roster, since one company cannot usually provide as much individualized attention as two or more.

Thoughts?
      It's only upside for current clients of both companies because COC is primarily lit and some directors and D/F was primarily talent and almost no writers, so now clients have more direct avenue to each company's roster to do more in house.

Comment

SBS is this common now with management? Agents have been packaging forever, but I didn't think management firms did it that much. Is this new, or has it been ongoing? I would think eventually management will replace agents if this keeps up because the packaging situation is one of the advantages to having agents.

That's a lot of thoughts. Anyway, just curious as to how it all works in this situation. Personally I'm stoked right now 'cuz I'm at Circle.

Comment

DF doesn't really seem to have clients who can help CoC. Great clients but just don't see the synergy. And if it doesn't help, unfortunately it seems it'll hurt CoC. Scratching my head as to the why, really.

Comment

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
            It's only upside for current clients of both companies because COC is primarily lit and some directors and D/F was primarily talent and almost no writers, so now clients have more direct avenue to each company's roster to do more in house.
            Exactly.

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
            SBS is this common now with management? Agents have been packaging forever, but I didn't think management firms did it that much. Is this new, or has it been ongoing? I would think eventually management will replace agents if this keeps up because the packaging situation is one of the advantages to having agents.

That's a lot of thoughts. Anyway, just curious as to how it all works in this situation. Personally I'm stoked right now 'cuz I'm at Circle.
            When wasn't it? All of us at the big management companies have been doing that for years. No, they won't replace agencies, apples and oranges my dear.

Originally posted by AlexNoa View Post
            DF doesn't really seem to have clients who can help CoC. Great clients but just don't see the synergy. And if it doesn't help, unfortunately it seems it'll hurt CoC. Scratching my head as to the why, really.
            Alex, you are a very nice guy, so please don't take this the wrong way, but that may be one of the most ridiculous things ever posted on this board (and that's saying something. Plus, you don't know the business, so why say something so wrong/crazy). CoC was lit. DF was talent. Peanut Butter, meet Jelly.

Even if DF didn't have huge mega stars to package film, this will help all of them.

Anyway, good for all of them.
            twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

This is all really interesting to me. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post

I'll add that, while bigger management companies have been packaging for a while, this is only going to accelerate, and will also require additional mergers in order to creater deeper pools of resources for these companies. Basically, the traditional commission business is drying up, particularly on the lit side, so these companies need to find new ways to own IP and create longer term revenue streams. Gotham is a very good example of a company that is, IMO, ahead of the curve on this, and has been for a long time, but is now really starting to see the benefits.

Comment

Michael, you're a great guy even when you help me make sense of myself.

Comment

Kick-ass move by CoC. A smart merger in keeping with growing trends. Not sure why anyone would see this as anything but a positive move.

From a common sense perspective, any merger that adds new talent to a client roster can only be a good thing. Especially when both management companies specialize in one field (ie. One, Actors/talent. One, writers/lit).

They'll only ever be stronger together.

Same sort of situation with when my manager joined Zero G. Whatever opinion people on here seem to have about said company, the resources and increased access to talent can only be a positive. That's just common sense.

Clearly I'm not as directly affected by this good news as Emily, but I might be doing stuff for these guys so it could come into play down the line.

So all good stuff and HUGE CONGRATS to them and Emily and anyone else repped by them. I always said CoC were going to make waves.

Now they're beginning to take names..... literally
                    Last edited by Harbinger; 08-09-2012, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X