Simple question about finding a manager?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple question about finding a manager?

1) once you have the name of a management company (or agency even), how do you find out the specific names of the managers working there?

And

2) once you have located the names of some managers, how do you find out their specific contact information (email, where to send queries, anything of that sort)

Also (I warn you, this may sound like a very stupid question), are all managers linked to a management company in the first place?

Thanks a bunch. I'm just trying to get an overall feel for the process of finding a manager, starting at absolute step zero

Re: Simple question about finding a manager?

You can get names from several places -- public tracking boards (which do cost money) or places like Deadline and The Wrap which will say managers names and where they work when talking about specific projects and clients.

Then from there it's a matter of figuring out their email structure. Is it first initial last name, first name, last name, just initials. It varies.

Then go from there.

Example -- if John Smith works at Company A management and you know their email is @companya.com and the structure is first initial last name then you can email: [email protected]
    Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Liv it might be a good idea to do the blacklist service before you query. If you get a good rating you can get read a lot easier. If you get an 8+ on a script you have a good shot at reads.

I was 1/300 when I queried... it really sucks--and is basically a waste of time. And when you do find success it's most likely going to be an overworked assistant reading it.
      Twitter @CameronAlxander

Comment

Also, because it hasn't been called out by name - IMDB Pro is awesome. I just subscribed a few days ago and does it ever have a wealth of information! Don't forget DDPs subscription site is only $24 a year or something, with lots of info on current and recent deals in one place too.

Regarding the letters themselves, my only piece of advice will hopefully stop you from making a mistake I made recently:

ALWAYS send out your query letters in small batches and gauge the response rate.

I was doing that up until recently. I had a very short letter in a conversational tone about the story I'm pitching. I only sent a few out at a time and was getting a 10-15% positive reply rate per batch.

But then I had my letter "professionally edited" (What was I thinking!? I'm an editor. That's actually my day job). I thought, since the query was now much more in line with the "industry standard", I sent it to a much larger list. So far, the positive response rate to the more "professional letter" has been .02%

Oh well. It makes for a good lesson to share, anyhow.

And if anyone contacts you regarding representation or production and you can't find any info on them, post it and your fellow DDPers will let you know how legit it is. I've been on the receiving end of that help a couple of times already, and I can't tell you how helpful and knowledgeable everyone here is.

And don't ever think asking questions is weird. After all, we all have to start somewhere!

Comment

I always thought that "test queries in small batches" was a dumb idea.

If Batch 1 goes to Group 1 and gets a 5% response rate, and Batch 2 goes to Group 2 and gets a 10% response rate, you'd reasonably go with Batch 2.

But how do you know that Batch 1 wouldn't have got a 10%(or more) response rate if it went to Group 2? You don't. You'd need a parallel universe to truly test this.

There are probably several good variations of loglines for one script. As long as your idea is compelling to the recipient and your grammar is beyond reproach, the vast majority of people aren't going to care about what else is in the query letter. Concept is king.

Comment

I know this isn't a universality - but if you have to ask said questions.... You're probably not ready yet.

Liv... you've asked a TON of newb questions on this message board over the last few months. ...and oddly enough, no pages posted. What exactly are you doing to litmus test your material?

I'd wager it's not ready yet. I know i'll be lambasted for saying that by some here, but as a writing community, i think we're better off taking responsibility for our own brethren. If we all helped curb premature ejaculating queries into Reps' mailboxes, they might be inclined to pay more attention to the ones they do get.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradis View Post
              I know this isn't a universality - but if you have to ask said questions.... You're probably not ready yet.

Liv... you've asked a TON of newb questions on this message board over the last few months. ...and oddly enough, no pages posted. What exactly are you doing to litmus test your material?

I'd wager it's not ready yet. I know i'll be lambasted for saying that by some here, but as a writing community, i think we're better off taking responsibility for our own brethren. If we all helped curb premature ejaculating queries into Reps' mailboxes, they might be inclined to pay more attention to the ones they do get.
              Sorry to call you out as you predicted Paradis, but are having "pages posted" on, presumably, DDP really the "litmus test" for a writer who's ready to query?

Let me give you an example from my previous work: I was brought on staff at a newspaper. My work was sometimes syndicated, and I was pretty happy, so I never had to query out for freelance work.

Years go by. I have great clips, a ton of experience, and definitely work ready to be published anywhere, but no clue how to query a soul! And, if I had never pursued freelance work in the intervening years, I would have arrived where I am today- with kickass stories, treatments and scripts- and still not have a clue how to try and get them out into the world. But I got some guidance and help to learn dos and don'ts along the way. I'm still learning all the time and I've been doing this forever!

To your point about clogging up the inboxes of the gatekeepers... I'm going to assume Liv is someone who wants to write just by virtue of the fact that she's on DDP and she cares enough to ask for help before anyone's mailbox explodes. I'm assuming she's not a "Hey! My life/observation/story is awesome and though I have no clue or interest or talent in writing anything, I want to get rich, so I'm sending out this awesome idea!" (Sorry if that assumption is too Pollyanna but, if it helps, the latter group is indeed huge and pisses me off royally.

And BillG - I agree with you. To a point. Testing does have it's limits, but trends are easy to spot. You see, the query letter that was doing very well for me didn't even have a logline in it (shocker, I know) and it still generated many more positive responses than one that had a logline within a "recommended" format. Crazy, right? Who'd have guessed?

Comment

No logline? Can I get a proverbial "lol wut?" Was there a synopsis?

Comment

Originally posted by eireu2 View Post
                  Sorry to call you out as you predicted Paradis, but are having "pages posted" on, presumably, DDP really the "litmus test" for a writer who's ready to query?

Let me give you an example from my previous work: I was brought on staff at a newspaper. My work was sometimes syndicated, and I was pretty happy, so I never had to query out for freelance work.

Years go by. I have great clips, a ton of experience, and definitely work ready to be published anywhere, but no clue how to query a soul! And, if I had never pursued freelance work in the intervening years, I would have arrived where I am today- with kickass stories, treatments and scripts- and still not have a clue how to try and get them out into the world. But I got some guidance and help to learn dos and don'ts along the way. I'm still learning all the time and I've been doing this forever!

To your point about clogging up the inboxes of the gatekeepers... I'm going to assume Liv is someone who wants to write just by virtue of the fact that she's on DDP and she cares enough to ask for help before anyone's mailbox explodes. I'm assuming she's not a "Hey! My life/observation/story is awesome and though I have no clue or interest or talent in writing anything, I want to get rich, so I'm sending out this awesome idea!" (Sorry if that assumption is too Pollyanna but, if it helps, the latter group is indeed huge and pisses me off royally.

And BillG - I agree with you. To a point. Testing does have it's limits, but trends are easy to spot. You see, the query letter that was doing very well for me didn't even have a logline in it (shocker, I know) and it still generated many more positive responses than one that had a logline within a "recommended" format. Crazy, right? Who'd have guessed?
                  I appreciate your opinion. I too genuinely enjoy learning new things about agents, managers, queries, and writing in general; it's just so fascinating (and sure helps feed into those successful-writer fantasies we all have!) And yes, I am a newb. Though, as far as the "excessive" research goes, you can never start too early I suppose writing and seeking out advice/research/opinions CAN coexist after all

For a young writer, it gives me hope to see older, more experienced writers who still hold such a positive outlook on the craft and business of screenwriting, despite that this can turn many into curmudgeons by the age of 40. To those who retain such optimism; thank you

Comment

These questions really don't matter at all yet. It's time to dip your toe in the water and actually write something, there's only so much research that you need right now. I'd advise not looking into managers for a couple of years.

Comment

Next step for you is posting some loglines in the appropriate forum on DDP and deciding the best idea to move forward with.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post
                        Next step for you is posting some loglines in the appropriate forum on DDP and deciding the best idea to move forward with.
                        Next step for you, Liv, is whatever you want it to be. Not what people tell you it should be.

Listen to any and all screenwriting advice and take from it what makes the most sense to you.
                        il faut d'abord durer

Comment

My point is the next step is writing. However you wish to begin is fine. Just begin.

Comment

Originally posted by LMPurves View Post
                            Next step for you, Liv, is whatever you want it to be. Not what people tell you it should be.

Listen to any and all screenwriting advice and take from it what makes the most sense to you.
                            Next step for you, Liv, is whatever you want it to be or whatever you don't want it to be. Not what people tell you it should be, or maybe it is what people tell you it should be, I don't know, don't listen to me, or maybe you should listen to me. You have to make up your mind, or don't make up your mind. Just don't make up someone else's mind that is a real hassle and an infringement on their constitutional freedoms.

Listen to any and all screenwriting advice or don't listen to any and all screenwriting advice. Or listen to just a little. Or listen to a lot! Or none. Those are the options. Now wait ... yes. I think that covers it.

You have to make up your mind or don't make up your mind, and take from it what makes the most sense to you or don't take anything at all. Take what makes no sense. Take what makes only half sense. Or some other fraction of sense. Or maybe take a negative amount, which is giving back, but then someone will tell you they don't want your advice and you shouldn't be giving anyone else advice either, who the heck do you think you are.

Comment

Originally posted by winter dreams View Post
                              Next step for you, Liv, is whatever you want it to be or whatever you don't want it to be. Not what people tell you it should be, or maybe it is what people tell you it should be, I don't know, don't listen to me, or maybe you should listen to me. You have to make up your mind, or don't make up your mind. Just don't make up someone else's mind that is a real hassle and an infringement on their constitutional freedoms.

Listen to any and all screenwriting advice or don't listen to any and all screenwriting advice. Or listen to just a little. Or listen to a lot! Or none. Those are the options. Now wait ... yes. I think that covers it.

You have to make up your mind or don't make up your mind, and take from it what makes the most sense to you or don't take anything at all. Take what makes no sense. Take what makes only half sense. Or some other fraction of sense. Or maybe take a negative amount, which is giving back, but then someone will tell you they don't want your advice and you shouldn't be giving anyone else advice either, who the heck do you think you are.
                              Now THAT'S a nifty piece of screenwriting advice I'll listen to

Comment

Working...
                              X