Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting in at UTA

I'm looking for an agency, but am having trouble getting represented by the big ones. How do you get represented by agencies like UTA?

I mean, you obviously have to have talent, be in the public eye, and have some success. However, I know that Charlie Ferraro at UTA started representing Randy Brown (essentially a joe-shmoe, nobody writer) before Trouble With the Curve. How does that happen?

Re: Getting in at UTA

Originally posted by jackmaniswolvie View Post
    I'm looking for an agency, but am having trouble getting represented by the big ones. How do you get represented by agencies like UTA?

I mean, you obviously have to have talent, be in the public eye, and have some success. However, I know that Charlie Ferraro at UTA started representing Randy Brown (essentially a joe-shmoe, nobody writer) before Trouble With the Curve. How does that happen?
    Most of this business, with big agencies, works on referral.

Somebody passed Randy's script to Charlie, and he liked it, and decided to take him on.

Now, it's worth pointing out that a lot of the time, you can be repped at a big agency but the agent isn't doing much for you. He's just sort of nodding along, waiting to see if anything shakes free in your career - trying to grab you early in case your career takes off. A big agent might have a dozen minor clients who he keeps tabs on but doesn't put a tremendous amount of work in to, just on the off chance ...

I'm a big advocate of celebrating every milestone. Land an agent? Get yourself a nice bottle of something. On the other hand, it's important to remember that getting a big agent doesn't mean you're on easy street. The reason why your agent gets 10% of your paycheck and you get 90% is because you are (AT LEAST) 90% responsible for your career. There isn't an agent in the world who can make your career happen if people aren't reading your scripts and saying either, "I have to make this movie!" or "I have to work with this writer!"

There isn't a big advantage to being repped at a big agency when you're starting out. Heck, overall, the most important thing is NOT the name on the agency door, but the passion your agent feels for your work. I could tell you at least a dozen stories (in fact, I heard one yesterday) about an writer who loves their agent, has the agent move to a bigger company, and suddenly the agent isn't doing such a good job for them any more - they have to service bigger clients.

Comment

RB knew people. He was not a "complete nobody."

Comment

General consensus is to target managers first. Secure solid management and you'll find it easier to get read at solid agencies.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronaldinho View Post
          Most of this business, with big agencies, works on referral.

Somebody passed Randy's script to Charlie, and he liked it, and decided to take him on.

Now, it's worth pointing out that a lot of the time, you can be repped at a big agency but the agent isn't doing much for you. He's just sort of nodding along, waiting to see if anything shakes free in your career - trying to grab you early in case your career takes off. A big agent might have a dozen minor clients who he keeps tabs on but doesn't put a tremendous amount of work in to, just on the off chance ...

I'm a big advocate of celebrating every milestone. Land an agent? Get yourself a nice bottle of something. On the other hand, it's important to remember that getting a big agent doesn't mean you're on easy street. The reason why your agent gets 10% of your paycheck and you get 90% is because you are (AT LEAST) 90% responsible for your career. There isn't an agent in the world who can make your career happen if people aren't reading your scripts and saying either, "I have to make this movie!" or "I have to work with this writer!"

There isn't a big advantage to being repped at a big agency when you're starting out. Heck, overall, the most important thing is NOT the name on the agency door, but the passion your agent feels for your work. I could tell you at least a dozen stories (in fact, I heard one yesterday) about an writer who loves their agent, has the agent move to a bigger company, and suddenly the agent isn't doing such a good job for them any more - they have to service bigger clients.

Great! I appreciate your input. It seems pretty lucky to get your script passed to an agent at a big agency. I just moved to the city, but I suppose it's a lot about who you know here?

Comment

Originally posted by CColoredClown View Post
            RB knew people. He was not a "complete nobody."
            He knew people that high up? This city revolves so much about connections. Any suggestions for a newbie to LA like me?

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post
              General consensus is to target managers first. Secure solid management and you'll find it easier to get read at solid agencies.
              How do you suggest securing solid management without already knowing people to give me referrals?

Comment

Write a great script. Attend industry functions. Get an industry job. Meet people. Send out queries. Enter legit contests. Be patient.
                Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

For anyone who isn't, there could be no more pressing question than, "How do I get repped?" It's probably one of the most important questions any aspiring screenwriter could ever ask.

I think it was on either the first or second episode of "Scriptnotes" where Messrs. August and Mazin brought this up in order to "get it out of the way." They said that asking "How do I get a rep?" is like asking "How do I lose my virginity?" Unfortunately, you could ask that question of 100 different people, and no two would have the same story.

But they went on to say that people don't really want to hear that. They don't want to hear that there's no sure way...but that you can stack the deck in your favor by doing all the things Emily just said. By working hard on your craft, attending seminars, seeking out relationships, sending queries, and keeping at it. Instead, they want to hear, "Go to this address. Knock four times. Here's the secret handshake. Wear yellow shoes."

Unfortunately, the answer I hear most often is, "When you're ready, they'll find YOU."
                  Last edited by UglyShirts; 08-02-2013, 01:24 PM.

Comment

He knew people that high up? This city revolves so much about connections. Any suggestions for a newbie to LA like me?
                    He had very good connections that got him into Malpaso.

Have you tried the Black List service yet? If you're here, I'd say, get out and meet people. Bars are good start, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by CColoredClown View Post
                      If you're here, I'd say, get out and meet people. Bars are good start, IMO.
                      If you're not here, bars are still a good start for something. Writer's drink for a reason.
                      Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 08-02-2013, 03:01 PM. Reason: Fixed quote code
                      If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
                      Dave Barry

Comment

Originally posted by UglyShirts View Post
                        They said that asking "How do I get a rep?" is like asking "How do I lose my virginity?" Unfortunately, you could ask that question of 100 different people, and no two would have the same story.
                        But if you're gonna ask 100 people, maybe just rephrase the question to - "Will you help me lose my virginity?" And if that works, then you'll really know how.

And yeh, be sure to ask 100 different people. I made that mistake, asking the same person, like, 100 different times.

Comment

How do you suggest securing solid management without already knowing people to give me referrals?
                          Step 1: write a great script.

Step 2: make damn sure you really have a great script.

Step 3: seriously, it better be great.

Step 4: enter contests, sign up for the Blacklist 3.0, query managers.

Step 5: have patience, suck it up if the response isn't what you expected.

Step 6: write another great script.

Rinse and repeat.

Comment

My younger agent at UTA has never read a query letter. Ever.

Her new clients either come from lawyers, managers, or producers she trusts (as was the case with me) or she discovers them at important film festivals (as was the case with an indie filmmaker who has lots of tattoos and a show on HBO).

Comment

Randy actually wrote some eps of "The Sentinel" and "Twice In A Lifetime" and some polish work. He actually started out as an actor (handsome fellow). So, the idea of a newbie writer getting repped is not completely solid. Sure, there's the romantic tale of Shane Black getting "Lethal Weapon" off the ground fresh out of film school, yet you can't think that 's going to happen to you. Your writing might not be up to par, and agents and managers are the fickle sort. SO WRITE AND HAVE FUN DOING IT.

Here's a fun Q&A with Randy:
                              http://sabr.org/latest/scouts-screen...er-randy-brown
                              "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Working...
                              X