Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question Regarding Attorneys

I had a bit of luck cold calling a couple of people last week. A particular producer I really want to submit my screenplay to told me I would need to submit through an attorney. My boyfriend is an attorney but by no means an entertainment attorney. He is not dialed in with anyone in that practice area.

So my questions and concerns are:

Can any type of attorney submit for me or better yet is that acceptable? How would he do that? Just contact the producer and say he was submitting on my behalf? My boyfriend's speciality is healthcare law, so he knows nothing about the process.

If not, how do I go about finding the best attorney for this? I do have a membership on IMDbPro which as you know lists the contact info for attorneys for each producer, actor etc.. What is the process? I contact one to submit for me? Does anybody know the average cost of this? Am I going to be spending $300 or $3000 to have them submit for me? Also, is it a good idea to use the same attorney of the producer I want to read it?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Re: Question Regarding Attorneys

Originally posted by ijustknow View Post
    I had a bit of luck cold calling a couple of people last week. A particular producer I really want to submit my screenplay to told me I would need to submit through an attorney. My boyfriend is an attorney but by no means an entertainment attorney. He is not dialed in with anyone in that practice area.

Can any type of attorney submit for me or better yet is that acceptable? How would he do that? Just contact the producer and say he was submitting on my behalf? My boyfriend's speciality is healthcare law, so he knows nothing about the process.

If not, how do I go about finding the best attorney for this? I do have a membership on IMDbPro which as you know lists the contact info for attorneys for each producer, actor etc.. What is the process? I contact one to submit for me? Does anybody know the average cost of this? Am I going to be spending $300 or $3000 to have them submit for me? Also, is it a good idea to use the same attorney of the producer I want to read it?

It's a pass. If the producer wanted to read it, he/she would have asked you to send it over. Don't bother with finding an entertainment attorney.

Comment

I did not get a chance to pitch to this particular producer. If I do not have a manager or agent some will only take submissions through an attorney.

Comment

Hmmm, I've never had that experience... I'm sure there are others here who will be able to give you more practical advice. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Cooper View Post
          It's a pass. If the producer wanted to read it, he/she would have asked you to send it over. Don't bother with finding an entertainment attorney.
          Not necessarily. When I wasn't repped I twice had a Producer ask for my attorney to submit my screenplay. Both times I did so. One ended up in a pass and another a phone call.

Comment

I would never pay to submit a script, even through an attorney. You'll go broke before you ever have the chance to make money.

It could be two things: A) They are concerned with legal issues so having an attorney helps that. B) They hope the difficulty of finding a lawyer to submit will deter you and you'll give up.

Or maybe it's a bit of both.

You're free to do whatever but again, I wouldn't pay because if it's a pass you just wasted that money and majority of the time it's a pass for people.

Just my two cents.
            Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Originally posted by ducky1288 View Post
              I would never pay to submit a script, even through an attorney. You'll go broke before you ever have the chance to make money.

It could be two things: A) They are concerned with legal issues so having an attorney helps that. B) They hope the difficulty of finding a lawyer to submit will deter you and you'll give up.

Or maybe it's a bit of both.

You're free to do whatever but again, I wouldn't pay because if it's a pass you just wasted that money and majority of the time it's a pass for people.

Just my two cents.
              I concur...I would not pay, either. In my case I have an attorney friend who did it for free.

Comment

Thank you all for the valuable input. Do you think it is okay to have an attorney that isn't in entertainment submit it? That I can have done without paying for it. How important is it to have an "entertainment" attorney submit?
                Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post
                I concur...I would not pay, either. In my case I have an attorney friend who did it for free.

Comment

Any attorney will do - just gives the producer an element of protection in case they are developing something similar.

I have had success going the attorney route - got a script in front of Kevin Costner through his managers that way...
                  "The most terrifying thing is to accept oneself completely." ~Jung

Comment

Have your boyfriend send an email that says, "As you discussed with my client, %%%%%, please find %%% enclosed for your review. We look forward to your thoughts.

I assume your bf has a signature in his emails with name of fir,m etc..

And that's it.

Originally posted by ijustknow View Post

Comment

Yeah, while I agree it may seem more likely that it was just a pass, I've had producers read stuff without having to send through an attorney, he might just be cautious. It doesn't necessarily have to be an Ent. Attorney or one whom the producer knows.

Comment

You guys are awesome! Thank you for the helpful advise.

Comment

Originally posted by markerstone View Post
                          Any attorney will do - just gives the producer an element of protection in case they are developing something similar.
                          I guess I've never understood this ... Doesn't having an attorney make it more likely that you would sue the company, not less? It's almost as if they are saying "hey, before you send in your script, make sure you're lawyered up so you can sue us if we steal your idea."

That's why I've always thought this line was just a way to make the writer go away by making things more difficult/expensive on them.

Comment

Working...
                          X