What do agents/managers think when you want to play a role in your own script?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do agents/managers think when you want to play a role in your own script?

I see there's a lot of interest here with some of you interested in directing the film.

However, what if one is interested in acting in their script (little to no acting experience), how would their representation take this?

Re: What do agents/managers think when you want to play a role in your own script?

I'd imagine it's the same as directing. If you don't have anything to show as to why you should be cast, you're only making it harder for them to package the film. My guess is your best bet would be to write something short or low budget that you can film yourself, try and get some exposure and a reel going. I would also say that execs are always looking for new hot directors, but they're looking for established actors who bring a name, so that's not working in your favor.
    I've never dealt with it though. It's a good question.
    @ZOlkewicz - Don't follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Re: What do agents/managers think when you want to play a role in your own script?

I would go further than 8bit.

If you're talking about a major role in the piece, it would probably be an instant deal-breaker, just because it shows complete ignorance of how the business works and will make a piece impossible to sell.

First timers finding ways to direct their films? Happens.

First timers who aren't actors starring in their films? Doesn't.

Understand this: the star gets the movie made.

A script attaches a director, a director attaches a star, and a star attaches money.

Furthermore, while a producer can at least try to protect a script from a first-time director (get the right cast, get a strong D.P., and a strong A.D.) there's pretty much nothing you can do if an actor can't do it. The movie is sunk.

Lastly, you know, there's really no excuse. You can't necessarily just go out and make a movie, but if you want to act, why do you have little to no acting experience? Why aren't you taking acting classes, going out for jobs, that sort of thing? There is a lot of acting work out there, and no, it's not necessarily easy to get, because you actually have to be good, but if you're not good then the only reason you'd want to be in your movie is pure ego.

The only alternative is if you're funding the movie yourself, in which case you can do pretty much anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronaldinho View Post
        I would go further than 8bit.

There is a lot of acting work out there
        With all due respect this comment comes off like a writer talking about acting with no real clue about the mechanics of the audition process. Yes there is work out there (that you can get without an agent) but very little of this is of a high enough quality to use as a show reel. Most is low/unpaid work and is poorly produced and badly executed. Getting an acting agent that can change a career and give you leverage is a damn sight harder than getting a writing agent.

FYI This comment is from someone who has actually worked as both a professional actor and writer.

I trained at RADA -- that's one of the top acting schools in the world. 40,000 people a year audition for 25 places at the school. Yes I've got an acting agent and yes it's still very hard to get work. Even harder to get me into my own movies. Why? I'm not a name yet. Simple.

Compare that to writing. I've been writing for 3 years. In that time I've acquired managers, a lawyer, agents and have taken meetings at every major prod co and studio.

Even my managers skirt round the idea of me being in my own scripts and that's with west end credits, indie film lead roles and award winning shorts with me playing the main character in.

My advice is this. If you can do an Ed burns, Lena Dunham, Vin diesel etc and fund/star in your own feature that then does well on the festival circuit THEN you've got a much better shot. Otherwise the SAW's of this world are few and far between and with no experience just sounds like wishful thinking. Sorry to be harsh just being honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Mintclub View Post
          With all due respect this comment comes off like a writer talking about acting with no real clue about the mechanics of the audition process. Yes there is work out there (that you can get without an agent) but very little of this is of a high enough quality to use as a show reel. Most is low/unpaid work and is poorly produced and badly executed. Getting an acting agent that can change a career and give you leverage is a damn sight harder than getting a writing agent.

FYI This comment is from someone who has actually worked as both a professional actor and writer.

I trained at RADA -- that's one of the top acting schools in the world. 40,000 people a year audition for 25 places at the school. Yes I've got an acting agent and yes it's still very hard to get work. Even harder to get me into my own movies. Why? I'm not a name yet. Simple.

Compare that to writing. I've been writing for 3 years. In that time I've acquired managers, a lawyer, agents and have taken meetings at every major prod co and studio.

Even my managers skirt round the idea of me being in my own scripts and that's with west end credits, indie film lead roles and award winning shorts with me playing the main character in.

My advice is this. If you can do an Ed burns, Lena Dunham, Vin diesel etc and fund/star in your own feature that then does well on the festival circuit THEN you've got a much better shot. Otherwise the SAW's of this world are few and far between and with no experience just sounds like wishful thinking. Sorry to be harsh just being honest.
          The Lena Dunham film was Tiny Furniture, correct? How was it?

What was the Vin Diesel film?

Comment

I know a lot of actors, plenty of whom work. I know exactly how hard it is.

But the fact that an actor hasn't booked a national commercial, a guest spot on CSI, etc ... (and yes, I know how competitive those spots are) says, basically, that asking to be cast in your script is a joke.

Honestly, stuff like that won't get you a starring role in an independent, but the absence of stuff like that bespeaks a certain lake of seriousness and understanding. That's what I was getting at. If you're not at least at that level, why are you even asking to be in your movie? What are you thinking?

Your comment about crappy independents is well taken, but, again, if the writer in question doesn't even have work in THAT, why does he think he belongs in the movie he wrote? It's delusional.

It wasn't my intent to be dismissive of how difficult the acting work is, and I apologize if that's how it came off.

The Lena Dunham film was Tiny Furniture, correct? How was it?

IMDB and netflix are your friends.

There are a lot of people out there doing the Ed Burns/Lena Dunham thing, but the problem is that most of them aren't any good. Put it this way: if you're NOT an actor, haven't studied acting, etc ... why would you cast yourself in your own movie?

The rule of thumb for asking for any extra role is this:

Imagine that someone else with your resume in the field you want (acting, directing, whatever) belonged to someone else. Would you cast you?

Comment

Originally posted by Wise View Post
              He wrote, starred and directed a short film called Multi-Facial. I believe Spielberg saw it, and that's why he was cast in Saving Private Ryan.
              Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
                He wrote, starred and directed a short film called Multi-Facial. I believe Spielberg saw it, and that's why he was cast in Saving Private Ryan.
                The film was a feature called STRAYS. He wrote, directed and produced it. It was made a year after multi facial and was nominated for the grand jury prize at Sundance.

Comment

I see there's a lot of interest here with some of you interested in directing the film.

However, what if one is interested in acting in their script (little to no acting experience), how would their representation take this?
                  Not well.

Comment

The film was a feature called STRAYS. He wrote, directed and produced it. It was made a year after multi facial and was nominated for the grand jury prize at Sundance.
                    Strays was good for his career for sure.

Multi-Facial was the short film that was accepted into Cannes, that Spielberg watched, and that got him cast in Saving Private Ryan: http://www.movies.com/movie-news/vin...pielberg/10024
                    Last edited by emily blake; 11-10-2013, 06:54 PM. Reason: found the link
                    Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

I am going to speak as someone who HAS had acting roles in a couple of films I wrote or had rewrite jobs on. Not something you ask for. Especially not something you ever try to put in an option contract... That is the sign of a rank amateur and would be a deal killer.

Go get some experience. Have an acting resume. I had a over dozen film roles and a 6 year small recurring role on a network series behind me before I said a word about acting to anyone I was dealing with as a writer. Then, I never asked for a part. Because of the relationships I developed as a writer and team player, they asked me. And they were day player parts, some extremely small, some two or three day parts, none of them close to a lead or secondary lead.

Acting and writing, unless you are producing or directing, are two separate disciplines on a film set and unless you have known proficiency in both, will never mix.

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
                        Strays was good for his career for sure.

Multi-Facial was the short film that was accepted into Cannes, that Spielberg watched, and that got him cast in Saving Private Ryan: http://www.movies.com/movie-news/vin...pielberg/10024
                        Not disagreeing with this comment but to add to this and address OP's question, read Vin Diesel interview below:

http://www.littlewhitelies.co.uk/fea...out-strays-337

Comment

Re: Lena Dunham, she'd been doing self-starring little shorts prior to Tiny Furniture, which I believe was her second film.

Most of the Mumblecore folks starred in their own films - the Duplass brothers, Joe Swanberg. But as said above, if you're making it all yourself you can do what the hell you want.
                          My stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Alexander View Post
                            Not well.
                            Now there is a lesson in subtext.

Comment

Not disagreeing with this comment but to add to this and address OP's question, read Vin Diesel interview below:

http://www.littlewhitelies.co.uk/fea...out-strays-337
                              Just to add, MULTI-FACIAL and its Cannes success is how Diesel was able to secure the financing that made STRAYS possible. Before that, he wasn't able to make Strays. He had to prove himself not only as an actor but as a capable director.

He did so with Multi-Facial.

So, the lesson is... If you want people to take you seriously, if you want them to believe in you. Make them.

Comment

Working...
                              X