Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asking for more

I yesterday had an agent from the top three agencies reading my screenplay and asking for more. He said he can't represent me right now but would like to see more. Is that a nice rejection or is he interested in my work?

Re: Asking for more

Originally posted by AndyWormhole View Post
    I yesterday had an agent from the top three agencies reading my screenplay and asking for more. He said he can't represent me right now but would like to see more. Is that a nice rejection or is he interested in my work?
    Both.

Probably.

It's a rejection of the script you sent him. But generally agents won't ask for more if they don't see some potential.

Comment

Based on my dealings: if an agent is saying he wants to see more from you, it's a good sign. It may not give you much of a hope with a manager. But if an agent is looking at you in the light, bravo.

But you're on shaky ground. Whatever you send him next, make sure it's a damned zinger.
      "...it is the thousandth forgetting of a dream dreamt a thousand times and forgotten a thousand times."
      --Franz Kafka "Investigations Of A Dog"

Comment

Thanks for your replies guys

Comment

Probably wants to know if you have more good material. It's hard to justify taking someone on with just one piece, and sometimes a writer can write one good piece but can never repeat it.

Send him your second best and hope he likes it.
          Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Thanks ducky, I'll try and hope for the best.

Comment

Very good advice in this thread, all accurate. Many times agents or managers will want to read more or even get a coffee even if signing isn't on the table right now.

Additional advice from my experience:

It's a good sign and a step in the right direction. Don't blow it by thinking that this means he is changing his mind and will sign you right away. Whatever his reasons were, he has them for not wanting to move forward right away. If he likes your next script, ask to hear his thoughts. That way he gets you on his radar and you get some free notes and advice, both of which are crucial at this stage.

Best of luck.
              Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

Working...
              X