Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agent Meeting - What to ask?

Starting to go out to meet agents - first one coming up in a couple weeks - what kind of questions should I ask? What do I need to know before I sign? I tried looking for a list of questions on this forum to ask before posting, but couldn't find one. Appreciate your help.

Thank you.

Re: Agent Meeting - What to ask?

I was lucky enough to have lunch with an Oscar nominated writer a couple months ago. He had advice that cut right to the core:

"Remember that you are interviewing them as well. You are choosing someone to be your rep. Don't go in and try to suck at the teat and please, please, please get them to rep you. Let them know that you are looking to choose someone you are comfortable with and you want to know how they would rep you. Turn the tables, be confident in who you are and you will stand out as a professional."

I know, ballsy, and probably a lot easier when you have Oscar noms under your belt and a script that became a a Best Picture winner, but I can't argue with the advice. So it's not really about a set list of questions as much as it is a goal of getting to know them, and them getting to know you, and deciding if you think it will be a good fit.

Also, don't go in there with your special signing pen expecting to sign in that first meeting. This is a multi-step process of sounding each other out. Think of it like dating while you decide if you want to get married. Your goal is to still have them interested in you, and you in them, after your first date.

Comment

Thanks, Dave22. The advice resonates loud and clear. I've heard it before as well, though not from an Oscar nominee. I've had a number of generals with production companies and I have a feeling this will be similar, in part.

Still there's things I'm sure a writer should come out of the meeting knowing, like "what kind of a writer do they see me as? what type of projects would they try and put me up for?" etc... yes/no? what else?

Comment

Originally posted by McWriterson View Post
        Still there's things I'm sure a writer should come out of the meeting knowing, like "what kind of a writer do they see me as? what type of projects would they try and put me up for?" etc... yes/no? what else?
        You want to know how they work with their writers. Do they expect writers to still do most of the legwork and they come in to strike the deal? Or do they prefer to keep it closer to the vest and do most of the promotion in a more controlled and specified approach? How often do they like to stay in contact. Do they like to help writers come up with ideas or is it more of a "call me when you have a script ready" type of arrangement?

That's what pops at the top of my mind, but pretty much along those lines.

Comment

Thank you!!

Comment

No problem. Just remember to not get too focused on your questions that you can't go with the flow of the conversation. Think of it more like a moderator for a screenwriting panel. You have a few prepared questions to get the conversation started and then you go with the flow from there.

And good luck.

Comment

Stay on your feet, and you'll be fine. If you've already sat with production companies, this should be a breeze. **NOTE: These are not mine, but they are good:

Why should I sign with you?

How are you going to sell/represent me?

How will you handle a situation where other clients want the same job as me?

Tell me more about packaging and your agency's process

How are you different from my current agent?
              "Write every day. Don't quit. The rest is all bullshit." - Brian Koppelman

Comment

Thanks mge457, I'll keep those in mind. I'll try to phrase them so that I don't put him on the defensive.

Comment

Originally posted by McWriterson View Post
                  Thanks mge457, I'll keep those in mind. I'll try to phrase them so that I don't put him on the defensive.
                  I don't have an agent so this could be advice from an unmarried marriage counselor, but those questions above (I think they came from Chris Lockhart) are not designed to put any business person on the defensive.

Yeah, it all depends on how you say it and tone (don't say it in the tone of, "Why the fvck should I sign with you?" for example), but those are business questions that really come down to one question:

"How is my signing with you beneficial to both of us?

Comment

I'm guessing the agent meetings are happening because you wrote something awesome. If that is the case make sure to ask what their plan is for your script. When would they potentially want to send it out? Who do they think would be a good target? etc.
                    Twitter @CameronAlxander

Comment

Good advice above. Just don't lose track of why you are there and what you need from the relationship: you're at a certain stage of your character, you hope to be at a certain stage in five years time, doing a certain type of work. Find out how they think you can work as a team to achieve this. Also go with your instincts. Does what you hear them saying match with what you feel them saying? Also follow the old rules - be polite and professional, don't be weird or familiar. It's a bit like buying a suit - you usually know when you've found one that fits. Good luck.
                      "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

Working...
                      X