• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Scott Carr Management SGC

I think he was asking $250.

Comment

There's so much discussion on all of this, but it boils down to being just plain tacky, if not shady as heck. If the guy is to the point where he needs to charge for reads in order to make ends meet or justify his time, that doesn't exactly reflect well on his success or abilities as a manager.

There's plenty of fish in the management sea. I'd query elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by cvolante View Post
        I think he was asking $250.
        $250? Ha! I'll take my chances and enter five contests instead.

I hope he reads this thread and thinks deeply about whether the few extra bucks he'll make is worth the damage he's doing to his brand. Word of mouth is a helluva thing.
        "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Yeah, this is a rather dubious move, IMO. Scott had read my work from queries in the past and was always super cool. Fast forward a few years, my manager transitioned full-time into producing, so I started querying again. So I followed-up with Scott, mentioning that I had just optioned a project (a real 5 figure option), to a very legit mid-level company. He still wanted me to pay for coverage for a read. So if it's about "vetting," that rings a little hollow to me, considering I had been repped, and just got a paid option from a legit producer...yet you still won't read for free?

Comment

I don't query managers. Too many reasons and no interest in debating why, here. But way, way back in my first year of writing, I did what some advise to do when starting out: Find a manager of somebody I liked, and query them. I tried 2 more times over the next year, before moving on to prodco querying only.

Anyway, his response each time was friendly enough, but that he "wasn't taking on new clients."

Maybe that's what's happening here, or partly the reason. Surely there's a maximum slate these people want to carry, like any advisor/professional.

Comment

Originally posted by catcon View Post
              I don't query managers. Too many reasons and no interest in debating why, here. But way, way back in my first year of writing, I did what some advise to do when starting out: Find a manager of somebody I liked, and query them. I tried 2 more times over the next year, before moving on to prodco querying only.

Anyway, his response each time was friendly enough, but that he "wasn't taking on new clients."

Maybe that's what's happening here, or partly the reason. Surely there's a maximum slate these people want to carry, like any advisor/professional.
              Why keep making excuses for the guy? He's one of two managers in Hollywood that's doing this and the other guy is referring his wife without being up front about it. If he's not taking on clients, it's simple: just don't reply.

Comment

Originally posted by FeechLaManna View Post
                He's one of two managers in Hollywood that's doing this and the other guy is referring his wife without being up front about it. If he's not taking on clients, it's simple: just don't reply.
                Who is this guy?

Comment

Originally posted by catcon View Post

What were a few of the reasons you don't query managers?

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
                    What were a few of the reasons you don't query managers?
                    Do you know what? I got halfway through an absolute ESSAY before I realized what I was doing.

First of all, it would be co-opting the thread. Secondly, we've all had enough advice from people to fill a dumpster, especially from those who've not yet proven themselves by the standard yardstick of success. Thirdly, upon my success, I intend to bottle up and sell my methods for $19.99 to all of you! (Just kiddin')

Suffice it to say, given all the variables coming and going, there are surely a hundred ways to break in. But most of what I read on this board is good advice for the average unsold writer in an average situation.

BUT, and this is reason #4, be forewarned: This and other social forums are gigantic time consumers.

I really value DDPro, but I'm only here these days because I'm between writing projects. I disappear for months when I'm on a roll, so some of you should consider that, too. Or at least, "read" only, and leave the "commenting" for another time. Or consider paring down the topics you follow.

For me, those are:
                    - Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
                    - Business Questions and Advice
                    - Agents, Lawyers & Managers
                    - possibly a quick perusal of Jobs & Opportunities, to avoid missing anything

I've left out a lot from the vast and helpful list that DDPro offers, and of course if you're at a different stage in your writing (eg. four or fewer screenplays?), you will pay attention to the About the Craft topic above all else, then maybe the General topic, etc.

But given my specific background, age, location, medium- to long-term ambitions, etc., I have my own plan for hitting my goals, and I'm sure all of you do, too. Good luck to all!
                    Last edited by catcon; 01-27-2018, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
                      Who is this guy?
                      http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=66873

Wow I'm just rereading some of that huge fight...and I don't believe anyone even mentioned the key bit of info I just did. It says he decided to stop referring people back then, but I've talked to people in writing groups recently that have gotten the same message from him. FWIW, I've heard nothing but good about Script Mechanic, so not sure why he's getting caught up in all of that (or if he's even aware).

Comment

Wow I'm just rereading some of that huge fight...and I don't believe anyone even mentioned the key bit of info I just did. It says he decided to stop referring people back then, but I've talked to people in writing groups recently that have gotten the same message from him. FWIW, I've heard nothing but good about Script Mechanic, so not sure why he's getting caught up in all of that (or if he's even aware).
                        Scriptgal is that guy's wife? I don't remember that being brought up in that thread, either. Thx for the info.

I took a minute and read through the thread. Amanda responded in the thread, but never mentions that she's married to the guy referring her for coverage. The thread is locked, but I wonder how those defending it then, would feel now, knowing the coverage he's telling writers to get is done by his spouse?
                        Last edited by figment; 01-28-2018, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Wait, wait, wait. Can we back up?

$250 for a manager to read a script??? Is this serious? Can anyone else corroborate this?

Because... $250... to be considered... for representation???

No. Just no.

In light of his new business model, it really colors the way he portrays himself as the voice of the undiscovered screenwriter when he trumpets the Miss Sloane success. "You too can have an Oscar nominated actress in your movie for the low, low price of $250."

Ostensibly he's also offering "valuable" feedback and "actionable" notes. But how valuable or actionable can this be? 98% of the amateur screenplays can be given 1 of 3 notes.

1. Your core idea is unmarketable.
                          2. Your writing isn't at a professional level.
                          3. There's nothing original in here.

But I doubt he's providing such honesty because he wouldn't get return customers.

This new business model of his is bad news. There has always been a cottage industry of people and contests that attempt to sell "access." The fact that these money-making schemes are worming their way into legitimate Hollywood is ominous for the amateur screenwriter.

Comment

Nobody here has said they paid him.
                            Last edited by cvolante; 01-30-2018, 06:38 PM.

Comment

I'm aware. I typically try to stay out of it. John Tomko has known me for 20 years and trusts my taste. Simple as that. Any client who comes my way from him, I make it very clear that I only want folks to come to me for notes/coverage and any passing grade would be a bonus (a statistically unlikely one at that). I am NOT in the business of selling access to reps and, again, I make that very clear.

John gets absolutely no kickback from me. However, he knows if I like a piece of material he'll read it. He's signed a couple of clients through me that way, so it's really a win-win for everyone, not an unethical conspiracy. Hell, one of those clients setup an $80m movie at Cannes last year.

I can't control who sends writers my way, knowing if I like the script they'll take a read. I just put my head down and try to give folks good, honest feedback. Period.
                              NOTES / COVERAGE
                              15,000+ Screenplays
                              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X