Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entering competitions even with manager

Hello, thank you for adding me to the board. I got a manager, I'm thinking of entering some competitions. Do I have to ask her?

Re: Entering competitions even with manager

Have to?

No.

Should you?

You should have a relationship where you can ask your manager about things like that.

Since your have representation, what is your goal in entering contests?

Comment

Originally posted by writerslaw View Post
      Hello, thank you for adding me to the board. I got a manager, I'm thinking of entering some competitions. Do I have to ask her?
      Imagine you are the manager. Someone who wants to look at the script from a contest placement calls her. She is clueless. Makes everyone look bad.

You tell her. She may have good advice on what to enter or what to not enter. She can't manage you if you don't allow it.
      wry

The rule is the first fifteen pages should enthrall me, but truth is, I'm only giving you about 3-5 pages. ~ Hollywood Script Reader

Comment

Why even do it, when you have a manager already?
        "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
          Why even do it, when you have a manager already?
          maybe they want a "better" manager

Comment

There's lots of repped writers who are competing in these competitions. You get a lot of producers requesting your script when you place high, so I would say why not.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
              maybe they want a "better" manager
              I understand that, but the OP doesn't give that impression.
              "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

this is a no-brainer for me, after a momentary thought of your manager. Congrats & good luck!!
                " Don't really like writing. But I do like having written." Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad.

Comment

Originally posted by lache View Post
                  There's lots of repped writers who are competing in these competitions. You get a lot of producers requesting your script when you place high, so I would say why not.
                  This.
                  wry

The rule is the first fifteen pages should enthrall me, but truth is, I'm only giving you about 3-5 pages. ~ Hollywood Script Reader

Comment

Go for it.

If interest in your script has fizzled, this can give it a new life.

If there's major movement on your script, you can always contact the competition and ask to be removed from consideration.

If you make it to the semis or the finals, then you tell your manager. It might be another tool for them to sell it, or if they feel really strongly about it, you can still remove it from competition.

Comment

Working...
                    X