Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And now we wait

This might not have a cut and dry answer but; what's an average/'normal' wait time for studios or producers etc... to get back to a lit agent with a decision about a writer's script? Or, how long have you (repped writers) waited to hear news about your script once sent out to market?

Thanks y'all.

Re: And now we wait

Originally posted by Filmmagician View Post
    This might not have a cut and dry answer but; what's an average/'normal' wait time for studios or producers etc... to get back to a lit agent with a decision about a writer's script? Or, how long have you (repped writers) waited to hear news about your script once sent out to market?

Thanks y'all.
    Depends on how much interest they had in the project when they asked to look at it, and how much is going with the project elsewhere. If other studios are reading in a concerted, strategic effort, it could be a matter of hours. If no one else is reading it then it could be days or even weeks, depending again on the initial level of interest plus the relationship between the rep and the exec.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Alexander View Post
      Depends on how much interest they had in the project when they asked to look at it, and how much is going with the project elsewhere. If other studios are reading in a concerted, strategic effort, it could be a matter of hours. If no one else is reading it then it could be days or even weeks, depending again on the initial level of interest plus the relationship between the rep and the exec.
      Hmm. Interesting. What about a couple of months? Few studios and producers are still reading but none have passed.

Comment

A couple of months is pushing it - has your rep been following up?
        Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

Originally posted by asteven50 View Post
          A couple of months is pushing it - has your rep been following up?

Yeah he has. He says they're all in the midst of reading the script but no one has passed or made a decision either way. I don't think these were producers/studios that had initially requested the script, but more so places the agent thinks would most be interested.

Comment

Honestly, it can totally vary. A lot of specs go out on a two-week cycle. (One weekend for producers, those who like it take it to studios the next week).

I had one script optioned several months after we sent it to someone. We thought it was dead there, but it turns out they were putting together a deal that would put them in position to option it.

Comment

May the force be with you. I'm waiting, too.

Comment

Me, too. Alas... that's 90 percent of the business side of screenwriting: waiting...

Comment

Originally posted by Ronaldinho View Post
                  Honestly, it can totally vary. A lot of specs go out on a two-week cycle. (One weekend for producers, those who like it take it to studios the next week).

I had one script optioned several months after we sent it to someone. We thought it was dead there, but it turns out they were putting together a deal that would put them in position to option it.
                  Hmmmm. Interesting, and good to know. I guess that's a bit more reassuring. Man, is it so much to ask to read a script and make a great offer for it ?

Comment

Hmmmm. Interesting, and good to know. I guess that's a bit more reassuring. Man, is it so much to ask to read a script and make a great offer for it ?
                    It's not too much. Hang in there. Just getting read is an accomplishment. I wish you nothing but good fortune. But be patient. It can take a long time. I got a call yesterday from a production company exec telling me they loved a pitch I made to them... six months ago. They want a treatment (paid). I wish I could remember the pitch. I had the presence of mind to say, "do you have notes you wrote down from the pitch, so I can compare them to mine?" They did. Thank God.

It was an off the top of my head last ditch pitch I thought of in the car on the way there and never thought about again. I remember the idea, not my take on it so well. Now I have to come up with a good story to match their notes. You never know.

Comment

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
                      It's not too much. Hang in there. Just getting read is an accomplishment. I wish you nothing but good fortune. But be patient. It can take a long time. I got a call yesterday from a production company exec telling me they loved a pitch I made to them... six months ago. They want a treatment (paid). I wish I could remember the pitch. I had the presence of mind to say, "do you have notes you wrote down from the pitch, so I can compare them to mine?" They did. Thank God.

It was an off the top of my head last ditch pitch I thought of in the car on the way there and never thought about again. I remember the idea, not my take on it so well. Now I have to come up with a good story to match their notes. You never know.
                      Wow. That's an awesome story. In ever sense of the word. And congratulations. And good job coaxing the notes out of them, hah.

Thanks for that, Ed. I'm feeling more reassured. I will wait, as patiently as I can, and see what comes of it.

Comment

Wow. That's an awesome story. In ever sense of the word. And congratulations. And good job coaxing the notes out of them, hah.

Thanks for that, Ed. I'm feeling more reassured. I will wait, as patiently as I can, and see what comes of it.
                        Just write more and work harder, it's the best way to handle waiting.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Alexander View Post
                          Just write more and work harder, it's the best way to handle waiting.
                          Good advice. Trying to keep my head space in a new script and just worry about that.

Comment

Working...
                          X