Comedy: What agency/manger is the place to query?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comedy: What agency/manger is the place to query?

So I recently finished polishing a draft of an action-comedy, in the vein of a Pineapple Express or Horrible Bosses, that I had been writing for north of two years. I've had several reads from writing peers, including an Emmy-nominated writer and they've all given very positive feedback.

I felt like this script was truly ready to get out to the people they can get it made, so I sent out over 100 query letters in the past three month to everywhere from the big agencies (CAA, ICM, etc.) to small management boutiques. Unforutnately all I've gotten back is two read requests and one pass.

Any advice on what/where to target for agents/management that specialize in comedy and how to get representation from it?
    Last edited by Hush92; 12-08-2014, 06:57 PM.

Re: Comedy: What agency/manger is the place to query?

no ideas on who to recommend but if the Emmy-nominated writer didn't feel strongly enough about the script to offer to pass it on to his/her own contacts, it may not yet be truly ready to get out to the people who can get it made

two read requests out of 100 query letters is only slightly below par for a marketing campaign like that. but it may be an issue with the concept or logline if the response isn't what you expected

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
      no ideas on who to recommend but if the Emmy-nominated writer didn't feel strongly enough about the script to offer to pass it on to his/her own contacts, it may not yet be truly ready to get out to the people who can get it made

two read requests out of 100 query letters is only slightly below par for a marketing campaign like that. but it may be an issue with the concept or logline if the response isn't what you expected
      The writer doesn't deal in comedy and I got the read/review through a contest. Wasn't really in a position to get it passed along.

Surprising to hear the 2/100 is actually on par with normal results, as I've seen a lot of people on this forum talk about how they've gotten a lot of read requests from querying.

As for the concept, it's an action-comedy, so there's little room to reinvent the wheel via a logline, but I think it certainly gets the point across well.

Comment

Originally posted by Hush92 View Post
        So I recently finished polishing a draft of an action-comedy, in the vein of a Pineapple Express or Horrible Bosses, that I had been writing for north of two years. I've had several reads from writing peers, including an Emmy-nominated writer and they've all given very positive feedback.

I felt like this script was truly ready to get out to the people they can get it made, so I sent out over 100 query letters in the past three month to everywhere from the big agencies (CAA, ICM, etc.) to small management boutiques. Unforutnately all I've gotten back is two read requests and one pass.

Any advice on what/where to target for agents/management that specialize in comedy and how to get representation from it?
        You got 2 read requests out of 100 and you want advice on more reps to target?

You should be taking a long hard look at your logline. Why not post it here in loglines for some help?

Comment

I agree with what the others say about having your logline vetted in the dedicated DDP forum. I believe the usual querying response rate is about 10%, so 2 out of 100 isn't too good.

In terms of companies that specialize in comedy, you may have contacted it already, but Benderspink would be tops (it is especially into R-rated comedy right now, and is behind We're the Millers, The Hangover, and Horrible Bosses). Others to contact are 3 Arts and DMG.
          "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone! Will work on the logline then.

Comment

Working...
            X