Mention history of script in query letter?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mention history of script in query letter?

Hey all,

About ten years ago, I wrote a script that landed me a reputable agent, manager and lawyer. The script attracted some very noteworthy talent (producers, directors, etc.) and was optioned twice, but did not sell. I recently revisited the script after being away from the industry for many years, and, over the last month or so, I revamped it extensively. I reached out to the creative team involved a decade ago but they've moved on to bigger and better things and have been generally unresponsive. As a result, I'm preparing a query letter to new agents, managers and producers.

I'm wondering how much info I should include in the letter regarding the history of the script. Is it worth mentioning the prior options or does doing so end up being detrimental because the script made the rounds and didn't sell? Should I say (without providing names) that some notable talent was interested/attached to the original version? Just wondering if there is a protocol for this or if anyone has any thoughts.

Thanks so much,

Joe

Re: mention history of script in query letter?

i wouldn't mention any of that info in the query letter. it just makes it sound like damaged goods that never went anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
      i wouldn't mention any of that info in the query letter. it just makes it sound like damaged goods that never went anywhere
      ^This. No rep wants a script that's ten years old and has been around the block and never sold.

Push it as a brand spanking new piece of material and you'll be much better off. You may even consider changing the title, if it went out wide previously, as there may still be coverage reports in various systems with your name and the title.

Good luck!
      http://www.scriptsandscribes.com/

Comment

No. Nobody wants to a read a script that everyone in town read 10 years ago and nothing came of it.

(damnit Kevin beat me by a minute now I sound redundant -_-)

I think the bigger question is why haven't you written anything new in 10 years?

Comment

Only mention prior attachments if and when necessary.

A query letter is not the place for such a disclaimer.

Comment

Re: Mention history of script in query letter?

Thanks for the feedback. Quick follow up -- if I don't include info about the script's history in the query, at what point should I disclose such info to an interested agent or manager? I assume they would want to know that a prior version of the script they're shopping was circulated and optioned, no?

Comment

Originally posted by shoeless joe View Post
              Thanks for the feedback. Quick follow up -- if I don't include info about the script's history in the query, at what point should I disclose such info to an interested agent or manager? I assume they would want to know that a prior version of the script they're shopping was circulated and optioned, no?
              Once you begin meeting with reps, one of the first questions out of their mouths will be "What is the history of the project / how did it come about"?
              Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

Originally posted by asteven50 View Post
                Once you begin meeting with reps, one of the first questions out of their mouths will be "What is the history of the project / how did it come about"?
                Exactly. Or as my rep always asks: "Who else has had eyes on this?"

My question to the OP would be how significantly the script has changed.

I recently completely rewrote a very old script (page one rewrite) and gave it a new title. When my rep asked his question I replied (truthfully) "Nobody", though I did tell him it was based on a discarded concept/draft. He didn't care after I told him the drafts weren't recognizable as the same.

Comment

Working...
                X