Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Managers as Producers

When a manager attaches himself/herself to a project as a producer what exactly will that person do ? Is it a vanity play ? Is there a financial gain ? Will he/she actually hire the blind the scenes people or even invest in the project ? I see it all the time and was just wondering the reason behind it.

Re: Managers as Producers

While there are some managers who take producer credits just to get paid more and as a "vanity" credit, there are some who do a lot of what typical Hollywood producers do:

Package the project (add a director and cast) and find money. Help guide the film through pre, post, and finding distribution. Generally, however, the nitty-gritty of the behind-the-scenes work isn't being done by he producer, anyway - Scott Rubin isn't hiring grips.

Generally the producers hire somebody whose title is usually line producer or sometimes assistant director (those two jobs, on low-budget films, are often handled by the same person) or sometimes even co-producer, and that person is in charge of actually putting together the schedule, budget, and crew. I doubt many (or any) managers have that skill-set.

Comment

Ronaldinho,

I'm just taking a moment to say thank you for your insightful and helpful posts; I've noticed over some time that you never get involved in petty bickering and always put a lot of thought into your comments.
      I did want to send this as a PM but you don't accept them, which is just as well, so I can thank you publicly on behalf of other DD users too.

Enjoy your day.
      Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Huh. I don't know why I couldn't get your PM. They generally work - I've gotten a bunch of them recently and cleared some space in my inbox.

Thanks for the kind words.

Comment

The message at the time was something akin to: maybe this user has set his privacy settings to not accept PMs.

Anyway, good luck with the script sale negotiations (as mentioned in another thread).
          Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Also, managers take a producing fee, and possible back end participation in lieu of a their usual percentage of your earnings. So the idea is that you make more money, but there can be some inherent conflict of interest issues if they are producing. For instance, producers always look to minimize script fees (and all fees except their own), which is not in our best interest.

Not to mention who they'll side with in the event that the director wants to throw you off the project and bring in their college roommate to do a rewrite. Do they fight to keep you on the project, or do what the director wants to get into production?
            Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

-Steve Trautmann
            3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast

Comment

Working...
            X