No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Television Pilot

Hey guys,

I wrote a television pilot back in May and have been trying very hard to get it represented or have a production company interested. I have sent hundreds and thousands of query letters, receiving a lot of rejection, mostly on the terms of them not representing television. I have had two script reads, one turned out to basically be an ad for their editing services,which was very disappointing, and one is with a prestigious (for lack of better word) production company, who hasn't gotten back to me yet. I'm a little bit worried because odds are they will reject me (sorry pessimist here ) and I'll have to go back to querying for this particular project. The truth is I've never felt more faith in this television show and how much it will succeed. I believe in it, but I can't be the only one. What would you do if you were in my shoes? Would you give up, or go back to trying?

Sorry for the long read, but thanks for the help
    Just because you're trash doesn't mean you can't do amazing things - it's called a trash CAN not a trash cannot

Re: Television Pilot

The glaring issue here is "thousands" of queries, with "two script reads". This is why you should have come here first, before going past your first round of queries. The best process is a small handful of queries at a time, choosing hand-picked, selective reps. If they are telling you they dont rep TV , then you are not doing your research. After a couple rounds (like 10 queries with 0 bites), if no one is requesting a read, its time to review your query and logline. The pilot isn't the problem (yet), the query is.

Post your query letter and logline in the respective forum and start workshopping it.

And most of all, slow down! Thousands is a ridiculous number. That's straight up spamming and why it becomes hard for others to get reads, because some of you guys think it's reasonable to bombard all of Hollywood with thousands of emails despite no one asking to read your work. This isn't about "giving up", it's about using common sense, slowing down, and learning the process. Keep asking questions.

Good luck, sincerely.
    Last edited by bruinwriter; 12-26-2015, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by worldandmore View Post
      I have sent hundreds and thousands of query letters, receiving a lot of rejection, mostly on the terms of them not representing television.
      Is this literally true? Literally more than 50% of the responses from "hundreds and thousands" of agents you chose to query as a television writer aren't agents who represent television writers? And you had no way of knowing this beforehand?

Comment

Of course I did research and picked out agents repping television. Those queries I personalized for each person, following up, being very nice, etc. The others were querying as a possibility, as most screenwriters advise. And by a lot of rejection, I meant that around 30 people replied back that they don't rep television or are not interested. I will recheck my query and see what can be fixed.

Thank you for the advice I have gotten so far.
        Just because you're trash doesn't mean you can't do amazing things - it's called a trash CAN not a trash cannot

Comment

Originally posted by bruinwriter View Post
          The glaring issue here is "thousands" of queries, with "two script reads". This is why you should have come here first
          I wanna agree with this guy, perhaps its your log line, your email format that is not attracting the "bite"...

Post what it is you are sending, and perhaps people here can give you a better way to go about it.
          "We're going to be rich!" - 1/2 hr COMEDY written/directed/edited by me, I also act in it.
          SUBTITLED
          Episode 1 (Beef pills)
          Episode 2 (African commercial)
          Episode 3 (Brenda's rescue)

Comment

I'm going to post my query in the query and log lines section. I've revisited the query for this particular project multiple times, changing it to fit research or professional advice I have gotten for it. I hope I can get a little more help and see what you guys are thinking.

Comment

Working...
            X