No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the heck to spec?

Good Day, all.

One of my former interns has managed to land writing gig at one of those ADHD type animation projects. It sounds like they're running on a tiny budget and a tiny writing staff. Like much of Animation, this is not a guild covered show.

So, young'un asked me "It's a good time to try to get a rep, right? What should I spec?" I honestly don't know what the answer is in 2016.

Where are agents gonna look to try to place a short form writer next? Should he write a pilot in that short short-form space? Maybe a half hour pilot?

All thoughts are appreciated.

Buzz

Re: What the hec to spec?

Originally posted by Buzz2074 View Post
    Good Day, all.

One of my former interns has managed to land writing gig at one of those ADHD type animation projects. It sounds like they're running on a tiny budget and a tiny writing staff. Like much of Animation, this is not a guild covered show.

So, young'un asked me "It's a good time to try to get a rep, right? What should I spec?" I honestly don't know what the answer is in 2016.

Where are agents gonna look to try to place a short form writer next? Should he write a pilot in that short short-form space? Maybe a half hour pilot?

All thoughts are appreciated.

Buzz
    There's no good answer. In terms of format, he should write whatever he is most comfortable with. A strong feature sample is something that can be used for anything. If his experience is more on the TV side, and he is more comfortable with the act breaks and pacing of TV writing, then he should write a pilot. As for genre, it's an impossible question to answer. People get signed off of all kinds of material. It really has to do with what the rep is looking for and what represents your young friends talent the best. In other words, tell him to write what he's passionate about.
    Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

Re: What the heck to spec?

Is he looking to stick with animation? Or does he want to do live action?

I would be inclined to say "don't spec, write an original pilot." Everyone seems a lot more open to original stuff these days. Though if you really want to spec animation, Bob's Burgers seems like a solid bet. All the other animated shows are a little long in the teeth.

Comment

Re: What the hec to spec?

Thanks for the thoughts.

My natural inclination was to think that work in animation would serve best as a springboard to other animation. But perhaps it's just like any other sketch-based show.

I would like to point out that the funniest part of this post, it being titled What the HEC to spec, was autocorrected at some point.

Pshaw, I say. Pshaw.

Comment

Working...
        X