Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotham Group

What's your take on them? Anyone with them?

Also, what are say, the top 5 firms who currently have a good reputation for servicing clients? Yes, I know, depends on the specific manager. But I'm looking for more general thoughts.

How does Gotham compare to Benderspink, Circle of Confusion, Management 360 and Annonymous Content?

I'm a bit out of the loop on managers.
    DOPE CITY

Re: Gotham Group

Man, this place is a friggin' ghost town. I remember years ago someone would ask a question and there'd be 10 answers in an hour.

Did everyone run off and become rich and famous?
    DOPE CITY

Comment

Originally posted by surftatboy View Post
      Man, this place is a friggin' ghost town. I remember years ago someone would ask a question and there'd be 10 answers in an hour.

I've only been lurking around here a couple of years but it's usually like this. It looks like the reddit forums are busier. Can't speak to the quality, though.

Comment

Originally posted by EnsconcedinVelvet View Post
        I've only been lurking around here a couple of years but it's usually like this. It looks like the reddit forums are busier. Can't speak to the quality, though.
        Maybe I just don't know how to sort it right, but anytime I've been on r/screenwriting it's been clogged up with extremely basic questions and really off-the-mark conversations or comments. This seems like a more knowledgeable crowd that's more my speed, even if it is smaller and trends toward the snarky. At least you don't get many drive-by comments from people who are either complete newbies or not really into screenwriting at all and just checking out random subreddits.

Comment

It's not a ghost town. Is it as busy as it was 10 years ago? No. But then Facebook, Twitter and many other social sites weren't around either to the degree they are today. It's a whole different world. I think some of the best discussions about screenwriting still go on here today. I've said it before but I'll say it again, various other forums have come and gone but we're still here and the community is a good one and I say that very objectively.

Second, your question is rather oddly specific. Who can really answer this? First a writer would have needed to be have been repped by Gotham and then also at least one of the other firms to really be able to offer "general thoughts" for you. One can go to our main site and see how many deals each of these firms has made over the last X number of years but that's really it.

To be able to evaluate & answer your question, one would need to either have been repped by Gotham plus one or more of the others OR possibly have worked as manager at Gotham plus one or more of the others. You're not going to find tons of people here or anywhere that can do that for you and in a fair & accurate way. At best, someone here can say they are or were repped by one of those firms. Next to that you might get some hearsay from folks via their friends, but that's really it. There are plenty of threads that get a number of answers, but this almost certainly is not going to be one based on the question itself.

It's like asking what is the difference between working with Joel Silver compared to Scott Rudin, Jerry Bruckheimer, Laura Ziskin or Walter Parkes & Laurie MacDonald? Again, not many anywhere can really answer that. You know?

And yes, some left and are doing well for themselves and/or staying very busy with shows and films.
          Will
          Done Deal Pro
          www.donedealpro.com

Comment

It's the manager, not the firm. Someone's else's bad experience with a manager at a firm doesn't mean an ideal manager for you isn't right down the hall from them.
            https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
            http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

I hear you guys and, sure, it's a little broad, but that's what I'm looking for. First hand experiences, hearsay, anecdotes, whatever. Some writers [are there managers here?] have a good grasp on the town's momentum, the temperature this firm has over that et al. Or, if it's a more insidery rant, there's always PMing for that.

Far as The Blacklist, I'm not concerned with what's on it. Don't want to be on it. I get it can drum up new business (a buddy of mine produced one of them and did well at Sundance). However, I don't think the list is something to aim for. It's kind of a "cool script...we can't make this."
              DOPE CITY

Comment

Originally posted by ProfessorChomp View Post
                It's the manager, not the firm. Someone's else's bad experience with a manager at a firm doesn't mean an ideal manager for you isn't right down the hall from them.
                Agreed. That's why I'm looking for 'general temperature' responses. Best guess.

Example: "Seems like 360 is slipping lately due to XYZ. Circle of Confusion seems to have new life due to XYZ."

If it's all status quo out there, cool.
                DOPE CITY

Comment

I guess what I'm really asking is if Gotham seems like they're keeping up with the rest...[in your opinion]
                  DOPE CITY

Comment

The other reason a general question is good is this: There may well be internal strife at said company effecting morale firm wide. I've seen that sort of cancer take over agencies. Meanwhile you don't know why your rep is dropping the ball… things seem off. It's not always just about your specific rep if weird ass mandates are coming down from the partners. Sometimes the partners have no clue what your rep does and designs these mandates based on nonsense. When your rep is under that sort of stress if will effect your quality of representation. And in that sort of scenario it's the entire department who has taken a ruler to the knuckles, not solely your specific rep.

That's why I asked for general vibe type answers as opposed to, "who is a rep with heat right now?"
                    Last edited by surftatboy; 02-09-2016, 05:35 PM.
                    DOPE CITY

Comment

I guess what I'm really asking is if Gotham seems like they're keeping up with the rest…[in your opinion]
                      Yes. They are doing okay.

I did quick check on the main site in regards to just film deals in the past five years. This is all relative, of course, because neither we or any site can truly know every single deal they've made but it should give you a decent idea:

Benderspink - 70
                      Gotham - 97
                      Management 360 - 150+
                      COC - 162
                      Anonymous - 178

Again, in terms of knowing scuttlebutt or "general temperature" about them or any firm, it'll remain to be seen what someone can or will even say publicly or in a PM.
                      Will
                      Done Deal Pro
                      www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Originally posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
                        Benderspink - 70
                        Gotham - 97
                        Management 360 - 150+
                        COC - 162
                        Anonymous - 178
                        That's helpful. Thanks.

Again, in terms of knowing scuttlebutt or "general temperature" about them or any firm, it'll remain to be seen what someone can or will even say publicly or in a PM.
                        True.

BTW - I'm with Gotham, now. I have no opinion of them, yet. Didn't want my post to be leading. Your numbers help me with the temp angle to my question.
                        DOPE CITY

Comment

Legit.

I have friends there who seem happy.

I've been in the building taking meetings so if you go: feed your validation tickets in the machine slowly like it suggests.

Again, it's who, not the where for me.
                          Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Originally posted by ducky1288 View Post
                            Legit.

I have friends there who seem happy.

I've been in the building taking meetings so if you go: feed your validation tickets in the machine slowly like it suggests.

Again, it's who, not the where for me.
                            Cool, thanks for the info.

Yep, been there a few times. And my producer on this project is across the street (why can't all meetings be at SoHo House?). And my girlfriend's Botox guy is the other corner. And I bought my car on the other corner. And my ex lives behind Gotham on the Birds. It's a strange little incestual intersection for me -- I have business on every corner.

Agreed, it's generally the who not the where. So long as where is legit.
                            DOPE CITY

Comment

I'll just echo the sentiment of, "the specific person is the important part and one person's experience isn't necessarily indicative of the place as a whole," with an anecdote.

I once had a temp assignment covering the reception desk at a management company. There was a leak in the roof of one of the managers' offices. So I sent an e-mail to the landlord and all the partners, informing them as I was supposed to. Then one of the partners (who was also a co-owner of the company) wrote me back saying, "Whose office?"

So I wrote back, "X, in one of the downstairs offices."

The guy didn't even know all the people on his own payroll. Suffice to say, if there are any similarities between those two people in how they conduct business at the same company, it's completely coincidental.

Also, Hollywood is ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
                              X