No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actors' Agents etiquette

Hi guys!

As we'll soon be approaching US agents to hire actors for two features I'm producing, I'd like to know the etiquette. I'm used to UK/French agents but know it's different in America. Should I reach the agent by email first, or via phone? What's the best way/angle to approach them?

We have the budget, directors in place who directed A-listers in the past.

Thanks !

Re: Actors' Agents etiquette

I'd try to get on their phone sheet. And not over reach.
    DOPE CITY

Comment

Often a casting director is brought on first. Part of the reason for this is that the CD has relationships with agents already.

When I was involved in casting a feature of mine (that didn't end up going) there was a conference call with the director, producer, packaging agent, casting director, my agent, and our star's agent (I was basically on it as a courtesy). While yes, some of it was discussing possibilities (e.g., the star's agent nixed one or two people who she was negative about the star working with) a lot of it was about, "Okay, which of us has the best relationship to that actor's agent or manager, to approach them?"

Comment

Thanks surftatboy,

Ronaldinho, that's what the director suggested, and what I think we'll end up doing. I'm trying to wrap my head about the system since I'll be doing that a lot in the future.

Comment

yes, if you have financing then you need to hire a casting director to be taken seriously.

Comment

I'd get contacted with this kind of stuff fairly often while working on a talent desk.

If you have specific actors for specific roles you want to reach out to, go ahead and get in touch with their reps. Managers are typically easier just because they're less busy. Just make sure you include that you can actually pay the actors, assuming you can. Plus pay for travel, lodging, etc.

Majority of actors are not working more often than they are working, so any rep who isn't a complete moron will listen to you if you say you want to cast their client and can pay them.

Most of the time these things never panned out, because they would claim to have money but then didn't have it in hand. Or couldn't afford SAG scale rates. Or the actor just didn't want to do it. Or wasn't available. But you're not gonna get yelled at for trying to make a rep some money.

As others have said though, if you're trying to cast an entire movie/show, then hire a casting director.

Comment

Originally posted by jimjimgrande View Post
              yes, if you have financing then you need to hire a casting director to be taken seriously.
              We have financing, but since we don't have that many actors to cast, and I was looking for specific actors, I didn't think I needed to hire one.

Originally posted by juunit View Post
              I'd get contacted with this kind of stuff fairly often while working on a talent desk.

If you have specific actors for specific roles you want to reach out to, go ahead and get in touch with their reps. Managers are typically easier just because they're less busy. Just make sure you include that you can actually pay the actors, assuming you can. Plus pay for travel, lodging, etc.

Majority of actors are not working more often than they are working, so any rep who isn't a complete moron will listen to you if you say you want to cast their client and can pay them.

Most of the time these things never panned out, because they would claim to have money but then didn't have it in hand. Or couldn't afford SAG scale rates. Or the actor just didn't want to do it. Or wasn't available. But you're not gonna get yelled at for trying to make a rep some money.

As others have said though, if you're trying to cast an entire movie/show, then hire a casting director.
              As for now, we already have two actresses (B-listers) that signed after I called their agents. But that was in the UK. There are maybe 10 actors maximum in the movie, all of them have been casted aside from the lead. We are looking for the Clive Owen/ Ethan Hawke, people in that vain. They acted -recently- in movies with the same budget as ours, and we know we could afford them, based on there recent salaries. As there are only one part to cast, it's strange that I'd have to get a casting director. But if that is the US' way to go...

Comment

Originally posted by Jiminho View Post
                As we'll soon be approaching...
                My bad, I thought you were referring to "we'll" as the casting director.

Having said that, either way, I'd call the agent and get on their phone sheet. If you have a budget and a quality director they'll likely entertain it.
                DOPE CITY

Comment

I'd say it's smart to double check with an attorney to be sure that there's no kind of union nonsense that forces you into hiring a Casting Director. I don't believe that's a problem, but I can't say with absolute certainty and don't want to give you incorrect information.

Assuming there's no problem there, then there's really no reason to hire a Casting Director and pay them a $100,000 retainer. I'd just call the reps to the people you want to cast, go down your list getting "avail checks" to make sure everyone on your list is actually available during whenever you have principal photography set (the assistant can handle that, no need to speak to the rep themselves, and that's a very common phone call so they'll probably answer you without even asking who you are) then go from there as you see fit with disseminating information to the actors' reps and seeing who might be interested.

Comment

Working...
                  X