Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware: Buffalo 8

I was querying some indie producers on a low budget screenplay. Came across one called Buffalo 8. A guy from there emails me back and says he'd love to set up a phone call (this morning). Mind you, he didn't even request to read the screenplay. Already suspicious.

Just spoke to him. Long story short: This company sells budgeting and business plan services to screenwriters. What a crock.

Re: Beware: Buffalo 8

Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

This reminds me: I came across some entertainment law agency via Stage 32 that also produces. When I contacted them, they gave me a line about how they're well-placed with all the big shots and studios and put together packages to get scripts made into films - you can guess the kind of money they were after.

So, unless a company has credits (and not for some short made in somebody's bedroom that was posted on YouTube), you should always be a bit wary.

But then, it's kind of the same with real producers and unsold writers...
      Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Originally posted by Pasquali56 View Post
        I was querying some indie producers on a low budget screenplay. Came across one called Buffalo 8. A guy from there emails me back and says he'd love to set up a phone call (this morning). Mind you, he didn't even request to read the screenplay. Already suspicious.

Just spoke to him. Long story short: This company sells budgeting and business plan services to screenwriters. What a crock.
        Had a similar experience with them.
        They claim to be a management/production company. I queried them, they immediately emailed back to set up a phone conference (without requesting the script) and then during the phone call they basically said they are in this "to make money" and said I needed to give them a bunch of money to make up a business plan for my script. (even though I already have a 35 page one I wrote)

I tried to explain that I already have a business plan, a pitch doc, and even a director's treatment and that I was contacting them about management (as they claim to rep writers). But the guy just kept saying they couldn't do anything for me for free and when I had some money to call them back.

Weird...don't claim to be something you aren't Buffalo 8.

Comment

Interesting thread this -- I happen to know someone on the production/ post production side who also had a less than stellar interaction with this company also. They were referred by another producer (who clearly had an undivulged stake in the company)

It was the old bait and switch - "Here's what we can do for your project and here are our services... etc..." When she explored further it went from - "We can get all this going now" to... "Well.... We're gonna need more time and by the way - we're gonna need a significant upfront deposit."

She was like - "NO - you can bill us and get paid for services performed. I"m not gonna pay you today for stuff you might do a month from now."

"But we can't get started without upfront money."

Not how it works anywhere else for those specific services. B.S. scammers.

Comment

Interesting thing is that this company has some decent credits -- and I thought they used to have a good reputation.

The guy I spoke to started preaching to me how many scripts hit the studios and how writers need help like they offer to get in the door. I told him that I've had produced movies, outright sales and many options and I've always gotten those through my own efforts via cold querying producers (all true). I also told him I have no interest in going to studios and that my focus is limited location/low budget fare that would interest indie producers. After hearing this, he lost interest.

I also asked him towards the end of our conversation if he knew the title and logline of the script I queried him on. He didn't remember either. That's obviously another sure sign that these people aren't interested in the material; they're only interested in their own pockets.

Oh, and one more thing: I asked him where they find the scripts that they produce at Buffalo 8. He replied that he's a writer, so he writes some, and they also come in from the big agencies like CAA. So he was basically saying that they wouldn't consider an outside screenwriter with a business plan like they offer anyway!

Comment

Buffalo 8 is currently "co-sponsoring" a writing contest on Screencraft for Adi Shankar's Bootleg Universe:

https://screencraft.org/bootleguniverse/

Comment

Buffalo 8 Productions - SERVICES COMPANY

Buffalo 8 Productions is a full service production, post-production and financing company having produced 35+ feature films ranging from micro budgets to $10M+ films (partnered with BondIt - a well known media finance firm).

Buffalo 8 has enacted an open door policy for third party / unsolicited material due to continual reach out from screenwriters and representation worldwide.

Given the busy development and production slate internally - Buffalo 8 offers a suite of development & consulting services - which is what was offered in the instances noted here above.

The services are outlined below:

www.Buffalo8.com/services

Furthermore, these services have been provided to hundreds to writers, producers, companies and creatives worldwide with dozens of positive testimonials that can be found on the link above.

Comment

Re: Buffalo 8 Productions - SERVICES COMPANY

Buffalo 8: After I asked the guy from your office who called me where/how Buffalo 8 gets its screenplays they produce, he clearly stated that Buffalo 8 only works with major literary agencies or they develop their material in-house (he even told me he's a writer himself) -- and they don't purchase specs from unrepresented writers or via unsolicited queries. So, your open door policy is obviously not intended to actually consider specs from unsolicited queries. Instead, it's used as a lead-generation system. Granted, the screenwriters are soliciting you and you have the right to try to sell them on your services, but you should be upfront and honest in your response.

Rather than one of your associates emailing the writer back saying that they'd love to talk to them, they should say "While we don't purchase unsolicited material, we do offer paid development services. If you're interested in this, we'd love to call you and discuss." That would be a much more honest approach -- and the writer wouldn't be so surprised (and pissed off) when your representative does call and tries to sell them the development service. I would also suggest that the caller -- if the writer agrees to a call after receiving the honest email -- at least knows the title and logline of the writer's screenplay. How sincere does it seem if your representative doesn't even know the title/logline? It's as if you don't care about the material -- only in the writer's pocketbook.

Comment

Correct, and we've never advertised nor stated anywhere that we purchase or option material from spec/unrepresented writers.

Further, the open door policy is to find content that is partially packaged and/or heading towards production but needs assistance - and several of these unsolicited projects have been overseen through production and sales by the B8 team - with recent award winning films (see LAND OF LEOPOLD distributed by HBO Europe, JIMMY VESTVOOD with a US theatrical release 2016, THE BOATMAN distributed by Shoreline Entertainment, SAKE BOMB which premiered in SXSW 2014) all of which were overseen from early stages through delivery via the unsolicited option for writers.

Appreciate the feedback and will make sure to have it implemented - but this isn't fully accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo 8 Productions View Post
                      Correct, and we've never advertised nor stated anywhere that we purchase or option material from spec/unrepresented writers.
                      But you'll sell any of them stuff, won't you? Enough said.

Comment

Re: Beware: Buffalo 8 -- Attn: Pasquali56

Apologies to go slightly off topic here but Pasquali56 -

re: I've had produced movies, outright sales and many options and I've always gotten those through my own efforts via cold querying producers (all true)

You did this on your own without an agent or manager, correct?

Comment

Yes, for the most part I've done it all on my own.

Comment

Working...
                          X