Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NDA request from manager?

Hi everyone. I hope you all are having a great day!

I was contacted by a manager who I queried a couple months ago. He is interested in reading my script and asked that I send it to him along with an NDA for him to sign before reading it.

Has anyone else here ever had that request? It is the first time I have been asked to supply a non-disclosure.

I of course have been asked to sign a release form from management/talent agencies but having a manager ask me to send an NDA for him to sign is a first.

I know many writers have an NDA when sending to a producer, but never heard of a manager getting one from the writer.

Thoughts?

I thank you in advance and remember.....always have fun.

Re: NDA request from manager?

It's not uncommon if they produce as well. Energy, Circle of Confusion, Kaplan Perrone and others require you sign one. The thing is, they're developing material with alot of other clients and they don't know if your material may be similar to theirs. They have to protect themselves.

It's standard for that kind of operation. I've signed them for each of the managements companies above.Post Edit:

See page two-- I was confusing a release with an NDA. Sorry for the confusion. I was mistaken.
    Last edited by finalact4; 09-27-2016, 05:17 PM.
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
      It's not uncommon if they produce as well. Energy, Circle of Confusion, Kaplan Perrone and others require you sign one. The thing is, they're developing material with alot of other clients and they don't know if your material may be similar to theirs. They have to protect themselves.

It's standard for that kind of operation. I've signed them for each of the managements companies above.

I think I may not have explained it correctly. The manager is not wanting me to sign an NDA, he wants me to write one up and send to him for him to sign before he reads my script.

Comment

Originally posted by Darthclaw13 View Post
        I think I may not have explained it correctly. The manager is not wanting me to sign an NDA, he wants me to write one up and send to him for him to sign before he reads my script.

Huh, that's a bit strange.
        Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

On the face of it, it seems (to me) that by asking you to send him an NDA, this producer is "telling" you that your material will be safeguarded while in his hands, as in he's not going to go around with your concept/idea and see what else he can come up with by employing another writer.

You sending him an NDA seems to me to be a good thing and harmless all at the same time.

Besides, he asked for it, so it's not as though you're being a "Paranoid Perry" writer, but I could be incorrect about these legal wranglings.

Best doctor's advice: Take two grains of salt and look at yourself in the mirror in the morning.
          “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

He also could be a writer and understands a writer's concerns and point-of-view.
            “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

I think I may not have explained it correctly.

The manager is not wanting me to sign an NDA, he wants me to write one up and send to him for him to sign before he reads my script.
              I guess, I don't understand the problem you're having. You don't have to create it, there are examples online. If you would like to see one PM and I can send you a couple examples.

As I said, it's standard. My manager didn't request one. But others will, and you have to determine if it's worth it not to have someone read your work if you're unwilling to sign one.

Why don't you just tell them that you don't have one to you that meets their requirements?

Post Edit: See page two-- I was confusing a release with an NDA. Sorry for the confusion. I was mistaken.
              Last edited by finalact4; 09-27-2016, 05:17 PM.
              "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

I guess, I don't understand the problem you're having. You don't have to create it, there are examples online. If you would like to see one PM and I can send you a couple examples.

As I said, it's standard. My manager didn't request one. But others will, and you have to determine if it's worth it not to have someone read your work if you're unwilling to sign one.

Why don't you just tell them that you don't have one to you that meets their requirements?
                It's not standard to have a manager sign an NDA to read your script. In fact, I've never heard of this until now.

This is an odd request, especially asking a writer who's most likely not a lawyer to draw up the language.

I don't know. I'm someone who doesn't sign releases, so if this were me, I'd pass.

Comment

As i mentioned earlier, it's been my experience that mainly managers that also produce can and do. Circle of Confusion, Energy Entertainment, and Kaplan/Perrone do, as well as a number of others. I remember that Jake Wagner couldn't even read a spec of mine at all because the concept alone was similar to a project they had recently sold for one of their clients.

Post Edit: See page two-- I was confusing a release with an NDA. Sorry for the confusion. I was mistaken.
                  Last edited by finalact4; 09-27-2016, 05:16 PM.

Comment

As i mentioned earlier, it's been my experience that mainly managers that also produce can and do. Circle of Confusion, Energy Entertainment, and Kaplan/Perrone do, as well as a number of others. I remember that Jake Wagner couldn't even read a spec of mine at all because the concept alone was similar to a project they had recently sold for one of their clients.

I was rep'ed at Kaplan/Perrone and never signed anything. Must be case by case.
                    Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

You are confusing a release form with an NDA. It is not in any way standard to be asked to provide an NDA to a manager, in fact that is very odd. Anyone asking the writer to provide legal documents is asking for something weird. Managers send submission release forms to protect them from people who would sue for idea theft. An NDA is simply a "I won't talk about this to anyone" document usually seen when a producer goes to a writer on a big property (i.e. a new Star Wars spin off idea) and doesn't want the writer to talk to anyone about what the idea is.

Comment

Originally posted by asteven50 View Post
                        I was rep'ed at Kaplan/Perrone and never signed anything. Must be case by case.
                        Ditto. I was repped by Jake and read by everyone else mentioned in that post, and never once even signed a release. An NDA at this stage is weird.

Comment

Originally posted by Northbank View Post
                          You are confusing a release form with an NDA. It is not in any way standard to be asked to provide an NDA to a manager, in fact that is very odd. Anyone asking the writer to provide legal documents is asking for something weird. Managers send submission release forms to protect them from people who would sue for idea theft. An NDA is simply a "I won't talk about this to anyone" document usually seen when a producer goes to a writer on a big property (i.e. a new Star Wars spin off idea) and doesn't want the writer to talk to anyone about what the idea is.
                          Oh, very good point, Northbank, and clearly my mistake. I was confusing the two. And in that case I have never been asked to sign an NDA either.

So sorry for the confusion, everyone. Will read more carefully in the future.

Comment

Working...
                          X