When do you cut the cord with your manager?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When do you cut the cord with your manager?

For those of you who have managers -

What are your expectations of them?

When do you decide to cut the cord?

I've had my manager for 4 years now and she's the first and only one I've ever had. She's been pretty good to me in the sense that she's always responsive and has gotten me in the door/let me establish a relationship with some pretty big producers and directors. That said, the only major deals I've secured so far have been completely 100% my own doing, from establishing first contact to signing the deal (with help from her at the very end with negotiating amounts).

Does that mean it's time to move on?

Sometimes wonder what else is out there.

Kind of torn.

Advice please.

Re: When do you cut the cord with your manager?

I've had several managers and have had to cut the cord a few times.

1) My expectations of a manager are: they need to believe in my ability and my prospects, even if I have a bad year. They need to return my calls promptly. They need to be getting me into rooms and offering good advice about what projects to write or pursue.

2) I decided to cut the cord with my original manager (about a decade ago) when he stopped doing the above and passed me off to a more junior person who treated me like someone who was dumped off on him. I cut the cord with my second when I felt like she didn't have the access she promised me and really didn't offer much in the advice department.

As far as your description of your current manager, it actually sounds like she's doing okay for you. She's responsive and getting you into rooms. The fact that you've generated all your own deals may not be her fault. If she's getting you into rooms, she's doing her part. But ultimately, use your gut. I will say you owe it to her to have a state-of-the-union talk before you cut the cord. Make your needs and concerns known. It may light a fire under her. The grass always seems greener, but no manager is gonna hand you deals. It's always on you.
    https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

Re: When do you cut the cord with your manager?

Thanks for your input, Professor Chomp. Very helpful.

Comment

Working...
      X