Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When your manager says you're "holding back."

How does one interpret this? Especially after thinking you've "put it all out there."

Have you ever received such criticism? And if so, how did you deal/work through it?

Thanks, guys. As always, I value your opinions.

Re: When your manager says you're "holding back."

Was this a reaction to a specific script?

If so, my instinct is that your manager doesn't like the script or doesn't know what to do with the script or doesn't like managing or doesn't know how to manage. My two cents would be: get some other opinions, and if, having heard all voices, you decide the script is your best work, either get your manager to do his/her job or fire him/her. If, after data-gathering/reflection, you decide the script is just "meh," then focus on the next one. And obviously, don't count on any meaningful feedback from this person going forward.

Comment

Ask the manager for clarification. We here can all only speculate.

Off the top of my head, it could mean:

1. He's questioning your effort. Maybe he doesn't think you're turning in scripts/ideas at a fast enough rate.

2. He's questioning your voice/decisions. Many writers break in with a script that's different and bold, and then follow that up with something boring and generic. The rep is then always searching for that original voice they fell in love with.

3. He doesn't like your current script and doesn't have a good reason why, so he's giving you a vague note.

4. Maybe he loves you and loves your script, but thinks there are moments in the story that you can push to 11 and make the script really pop.

I would ask him directly to clarify what he means by that so that you know what to change.

And, ultimately, if you're happy with your writing and your effort, then maybe you don't need to change anything but managers.

Comment

i don't know squat, it may need more depth, more touch, etc, but sometimes in a scene, there is a rock that can be picked up and thrown through a window. but as the writer, until i allow them to do it, nobody picks up that rock.

it's not out of laziness, i don't think, etc, it's just the threat of a window shattering is maybe better? that may be. but it may not. a character may need to throw that rock and put some shatter that scene, etc. nothing separating the characters, or the reader and the writer, now, except pieces of jagged glass...danger...coming tragedy, etc, whatever needs to sound off like a circle saw on a piece of half-inch plywood outside your window at six am.

quiet things need loud things and vise versa for both to sound true and say something. good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by AnyOtherName View Post
          If so, my instinct is that your manager doesn't like the script or doesn't know what to do with the script or doesn't like managing or doesn't know how to manage. My two cents would be: get some other opinions, and if, having heard all voices, you decide the script is your best work, either get your manager to do his/her job or fire him/her. If, after data-gathering/reflection, you decide the script is just "meh," then focus on the next one. And obviously, don't count on any meaningful feedback from this person going forward.
          This is so wrong it's frightening.

It's a fairly straightforward note. If you were signed off a crazy R rated comedy and you just turned in a soft generic rom-com then you are holding back. John Wick works partly because it is dialed up to eleven, did you turn in an action script that only goes to seven? The only issue I see is that you think you went all out already so have that discussion with your rep, you are entitled to and should ask for clarity. I've known good writers get a kind of stage fright where they hold back for fear of turning people off but better to have 90 people hate your script and 10 think it's the greatest script ever than 100 people shrug and think "meh, it's ok."

Comment

some words i think can hold things back. like 'almost' is a word that tends to make a weak broth.

Comment

Originally posted by Northbank View Post
              This is so wrong it's frightening.

It's a fairly straightforward note. If you were signed off a crazy R rated comedy and you just turned in a soft generic rom-com then you are holding back. John Wick works partly because it is dialed up to eleven, did you turn in an action script that only goes to seven? The only issue I see is that you think you went all out already so have that discussion with your rep, you are entitled to and should ask for clarity. I've known good writers get a kind of stage fright where they hold back for fear of turning people off but better to have 90 people hate your script and 10 think it's the greatest script ever than 100 people shrug and think "meh, it's ok."
              The note is obviously not "straightforward," as the OP had no idea what it meant and had to post on an anonymous screenwriting message board for clues.

Look, I don't know the ins and outs of this particular writer/manager relationship, but there are plenty of reps out there who don't like doing their jobs and give non-note notes like "I feel like you're holding back" to bounce the ball back into writers' courts. The percentage of times these reps get the next draft and say, "NOW it's great! Let's take this baby out for a spin!" is approximately zero percent.

I have no problem with reps who have big opinions that they can clearly articulate, and I have no problem with reps who have no opinions but sell the **** out of whatever they're given. But "big opinions" and "borderline incoherence" is a toxic cocktail.

Comment

Originally posted by AnyOtherName View Post
                Was this a reaction to a specific script?

Two very different scripts that he said were both good. But......

From what I've experienced thus far, he is an excellent, hands-on manager. He's very jazzed about a script I'm currently working on. As well as a film I have in pre-pro.

The unfortunate thing about the two "good" scripts: I had an in to submit to a producer via my rep, and if he thinks I didn't go all out, he won't submit.

Comment

Originally posted by AnconRanger View Post
                  i don't know squat, it may need more depth, more touch, etc, but sometimes in a scene, there is a rock that can be picked up and thrown through a window. but as the writer, until i allow them to do it, nobody picks up that rock.

it's not out of laziness, i don't think, etc, it's just the threat of a window shattering is maybe better? that may be. but it may not. a character may need to throw that rock and put some shatter that scene, etc. nothing separating the characters, or the reader and the writer, now, except pieces of jagged glass...danger...coming tragedy, etc, whatever needs to sound off like a circle saw on a piece of half-inch plywood outside your window at six am.

quiet things need loud things and vise versa for both to sound true and say something. good luck!
                  Beautifully stated. Thank you.

Comment

Not knowing anything more, I would assume this means that they think the script is safe. It doesn't take any risks. It's comfortable. Inside the box. Not taking any chances with ideas that might not work.

Comment

I'd agree. Not taking any chances with your writing, not pushing the boundaries. You can always pull back.

Comment

The thing is -- I thought I had.

That said, I'll take this as a learning experience.

Your opinions mean a lot. Thanks.

Comment

don't know if this will help or not. but in one of my stories there were two places where i did not see...they read fine, but they weren't done.

in one scene, an old man is taking care of a boy, and the boy's grandfather drives by but doesn't stop. the old man is scared to death of the grandfather with what all that is going on in the story. i thought it was a good scene. i could feel the fear of that old man. figured a reader could, too. but then one day i realized...what would happen if the grandfather didn't drive by staring, but stopped, and came into the house and there was a dangerous confrontation which showed the conflict in the kid, fear in the old man, etc. glad i ended up having the grandfather pull in.

another part of that story was the kid, in a huge scene at the end, trying to call the police on a radio...with everything going on in that scene, running, broken windows, people getting hurt, etc, it was not lacking for drama, action, etc, and anyway, i had another character take the radio from him and tell the police everything is fine, that the boy just thought he saw a ghost and was shaken up, etc, and the police don't come.

to me the scene was good. pleased with it. it worked. but then, one day i began writing that in the heat of all of that, the police do arrive after being told everything was fine. the teapot on the stove wasn't now just hot, it started screaming when the police banged on that door with broken glass and blood all over the floor.

for me sometimes it takes a story to cook awhile before i see the blood and guts and grit and tears and stuff that i have written right past, pleased with what is already on the page. i try to think now...what if the police do show up, what if the grandfather does stops, what if yada yada... good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by AnconRanger View Post
                            don't know if this will help or not. but in one of my stories there were two places where i did not see...they read fine, but they weren't done.

in one scene, an old man is taking care of a boy, and the boy's grandfather drives by but doesn't stop. the old man is scared to death of the grandfather with what all that is going on in the story. i thought it was a good scene. i could feel the fear of that old man. figured a reader could, too. but then one day i realized...what would happen if the grandfather didn't drive by staring, but stopped, and came into the house and there was a dangerous confrontation which showed the conflict in the kid, fear in the old man, etc. glad i ended up having the grandfather pull in.

another part of that story was the kid, in a huge scene at the end, trying to call the police on a radio...with everything going on in that scene, running, broken windows, people getting hurt, etc, it was not lacking for drama, action, etc, and anyway, i had another character take the radio from him and tell the police everything is fine, that the boy just thought he saw a ghost and was shaken up, etc, and the police don't come.

to me the scene was good. pleased with it. it worked. but then, one day i began writing that in the heat of all of that, the police do arrive after being told everything was fine. the teapot on the stove wasn't now just hot, it started screaming when the police banged on that door with broken glass and blood all over the floor.

for me sometimes it takes a story to cook awhile before i see the blood and guts and grit and tears and stuff that i have written right past, pleased with what is already on the page. i try to think now...what if the police do show up, what if the grandfather does stops, what if yada yada... good luck!
                            That does help. Thanks so much for taking the time to share that.

Comment

Everyone communicates differently so there's really no way to know unless you ask. Someone else suggested this and I would strongly second it. You can waste so much writing time (and immersion fatigue) trying to interpret-- and most times people use completely different words to communicate the same thing.

I would ask for specific examples (scene, plot points, pages) in the script that he felt needed a little more, as well as some tonal specifics. I would ask if he can give you a "bad example," even an example of a scene from another movie, so you can "see what he's seeing and make sure you're on the same page before taking it to the next level."

There's no reason he should have any problem with that. It saves him read time on the next draft. The only time I've ever experienced any resistance to clarification questions is if the note-giver doesn't really know what they're asking for. Being on the same page makes both of your jobs a ton easier.
                              https://actbreakdown.com

Comment

Working...
                              X