Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steps after coverage

My writing partner and I received positive coverage for our spec from WME just over 3 weeks ago.

We received a "strong consider" for both the script and us as writers. Our score was an 8/10. This is the first script we've ever written that's been read by anyone in the business, therefore we know we probably cannot get representation as new writers. We are wondering what our next steps are.

We've been submitting a ton of queries and we got a few bites, but nothing solid.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get in the door or any managers or agents they can recommend for new writers?

Re: Steps after coverage

a former writer's grouper just signed with CAA off her "first" script (not the first one she's written but the one that landed her manager and which ultimately sold).

if WME covered the script as a strong recommend, I'm confused why you think they wouldn't be willing to sign you and your partner? what was the purpose of reading it in the first place?

Comment

WME coverage is probably only going to carry any weight at WME, as anyone else would want to trust their own coverage over it.

You might try reaching out to their story editor Christopher Lockhart. He runs a FB group called The Inside Pitch, and is a great friend to writers. He may be wiling and/or able to give you some advice.

Comment

I'm curious as to how you got your hands on the coverage. That's almost always for internal use only. Established clients rarely even get to peek at their coverage.

If someone slipped it to you, then that means you have a friend/fan at WME.

Assuming that no WME agents wanted to take you on at this time, then you should ask that friend/fan if they can refer you to any managers. Even if that fan is just an assistant, they'll still know dozens of young managers who are looking for new clients.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunker View Post
          I'm curious as to how you got your hands on the coverage. That's almost always for internal use only. Established clients rarely even get to peek at their coverage.

If someone slipped it to you, then that means you have a friend/fan at WME.

Assuming that no WME agents wanted to take you on at this time, then you should ask that friend/fan if they can refer you to any managers. Even if that fan is just an assistant, they'll still know dozens of young managers who are looking for new clients.
          I have a friend who works with the agency on a professional level, so they submitted it for me under the guise that they wanted it covered. Once they received it, they kindly showed us.

I have been (naively) basing my opinions off other's experiences with large agencies. I have been told numerous times that WME doesn't take new writers, so we hadn't planned on trying, but given this feedback maybe we should?

I didn't know they signed new writers. Thought their writers had to be really established/vouched for by someone within the agency.

I'm just not sure how to proceed. Does the coverage simply live on their servers until they explore their options or does the coverage go in a specific agent's database?

Comment

Obviously, ask your friend at WME who submitted it in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by abiqua View Post
              Obviously, ask your friend at WME who submitted it in the first place.
              They're not my friend. My friend submitted it to someone they knew at WME for coverage, so I am not at the liberty to ask.

Comment

standard disclaimer that all reads are subjective etc. but if your script is as strong as the coverage suggests, i would query the top LA managers with it (check out the Black List results over the past several years to get a sense of which management companies are the most legit). they will be in a better position to give you a read and, if they take you on, they can usually set up a relationship with the agent

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
                  standard disclaimer that all reads are subjective etc. but if your script is as strong as the coverage suggests, i would query the top LA managers with it (check out the Black List results over the past several years to get a sense of which management companies are the most legit). they will be in a better position to give you a read and, if they take you on, they can usually set up a relationship with the agent
                  Definitely. I think that's the main reason we thought we should use it as leverage to get a manager... we just didn't know if we were doing the right thing. Sounds like we are! We will definitely query the top managers on the Black List.

Comment

Working...
                  X