Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bizarre request from attorney

I received this email out of the blue by someone I never met.

"It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm a transactional entertainment lawyer based in LA and am interested in talking about your transition from editor to director. Do you have time in your schedule next week for lunch?"

Huh?

I never answered this, then 2 weeks later he sent me this:

"Checking back in to see if you are available to meet for coffee or lunch. Please let me know if you have time in your schedule."

What kind of scam could this possibly be?

I checked his name and it correspond with the address in the signature, an attorney's office in BH, and he has a website with pix too.

Do you guys have any ideas?
    Last edited by vstm10; 02-14-2018, 11:09 AM. Reason: typo

Re: Bizarre request from attorney.

Originally posted by vstm10 View Post

"It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm a transactional entertainment lawyer based in LA and am interested in talking about your transition from editor to director. Do you have time in your schedule next week for lunch?"

Huh?

"Checking back in to see if you are available to meet for coffee or lunch. Please let me know if you have time in your schedule."

I checked his name and it correspond with the address in the signature, an attorney's office in BH, and he has a website with pix too.

unless he/she is hitting you up for money beforehand, doesn't feel scammy to me. more like a solo or boutique lawyer just trying to drum up business.

are you transitioning from editor to director?

Comment

The way the law schools punch out new attorneys these days, I'm not surprised they're employing entrepreneurial approaches to finding clients, so as to pay their bills. Hey, it's free enterprise!

Just salt this away and you might find it of value when you're actually looking for a lawyer some day.

Me? Way back in 2008 I was looking for an attorney to do a special submission to satisfy the old "we only take submissions from agents and attorneys with whom we have had prior relationship" thing.

Well, I didn't get far, but the fellow who eventually became my regular attorney-for-all-things at least responded to me (was "too busy right now in litigation"). When I checked back many months later, he was open and took me on as a client.

Purpose of this story, vs. the OP? It's always best to find a rep of your own choice, after careful consideration, rather than fielding a cold call.

I mean, you never know, and it could work out really well. But that's how the other side does it to us, isn't it? Mostly they come a'calling for scripts when "they" want something, and give writers who cold-contact them the cold shoulder.

Comment

Originally posted by vstm10 View Post

Huh?

My email address is [email protected]***.com and sometimes I get emails not intended for me, meant for Lostfootage films. I tell the sender they have the wrong lostfootage, and to check the email again. Could it be a mix up like that?

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post

are you transitioning from editor to director?
          yes

Comment

Re: Bizarre request from attorney

I saw this today on Deadline about a scam offer that's too good to be true; it's been going on for about 18 months...

http://deadline.com/2018/02/hollywoo...ms-1202297636/

Hope it's nothing to do with your mystery lawyer.
            Last edited by KitchonaSteve; 02-21-2018, 04:16 PM.
            Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

-Steve Trautmann
            3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast

Comment

Quote from the article:

"If a high net worth producer with a seductive voice calls with an employment offer that seems too good to be true, it probably is not real. "

"Probably" not real?

Comment

Hopefully, The OP has a legitimate producer trying to hustle up some business based on knowledge gained from others. On the other hand, it could be the male version of what the “Deadline Hollywood” article details.

This is what's known as a “honeytrap.” (learned from watching the series The Americans)
                Last edited by TigerFang; 02-25-2018, 04:34 AM.
                "Go to the edge of the cliff and jump off. Build your wings on the way down.- - Ray Bradbury

Comment

Working...
                X