Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lee Stobby (Lee Stobby Entertainment)

He seems like one of a few independent managers that do the rounds on Stage32, VPF, judge contests, and other similar things. One has to wonder if it's better to not be repped at all then to be repped by one of these types who probably have very little in the way of connections and will just have you waste time writing their idea for free or leading you on with false hope. If they're needing sites like VPF and Stage32 for extra cash to keep the lights on, how are they going to be able to help you out with your career?

Comment

Originally posted by FeechLaManna View Post
      He seems like one of a few independent managers that do the rounds on Stage32, VPF, judge contests, and other similar things. One has to wonder if it's better to not be repped at all then to be repped by one of these types who probably have very little in the way of connections and will just have you waste time writing their idea for free or leading you on with false hope. If they're needing sites like VPF and Stage32 for extra cash to keep the lights on, how are they going to be able to help you out with your career?
      I don't know, Feech -- I hesitate to postulate he has little connections. His prior work experience includes Caliber Media, Innovative Artists, and Silent R. He was also one of the managers with the most clients on the Black List last year (5) and had the client with the #1 script in 2015 (BUBBLES -- now being directed by Taika Waititi of Thor: Ragnarok fame). Lastly, one of his clients is a writer on "Stranger Things."

So, he does strike me as someone who has some juice. Not to mention, you'll find a lot of prominent, top-selling managers participating as judges in those contests because they're always looking for fresh new talent.
      "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
        I don't know, Feech -- I hesitate to postulate he has little connections. His prior work experience includes Caliber Media, Innovative Artists, and Silent R. He was also one of the managers with the most clients on the Black List last year (5) and had the client with the #1 script in 2015 (BUBBLES -- now being directed by Taika Waititi of Thor: Ragnarok fame). Lastly, one of his clients is a writer on "Stranger Things."

So, he does strike me as someone who has some juice. Not to mention, you'll find a lot of prominent, top-selling managers participating as judges in those contests because they're always looking for fresh new talent.

Yeah, he also reps the kid who wrote BALLERINA which sold to Lionsgate as part of the John Wick universe. Lee's a nut and a questionable personality, but he has connections.

Comment

I will share my Lee Stobby experience. I queried him on Virtualpitchfest. BTW... I don't think it's a money grab. I've made quite a few good relationships from that site

Lee requested mine and my partner's script and a couple days later e mailed me about 7:15 am and said, "Loving what I'm reading."

We ended up meeting him for drinks in Hollywood. He was about an hour late and my writing partner and I were about to leave. But this guy had optioned "Bubbles" and my partner was in town from Toronto so we waited him out.

To say he had a lot of energy would be an understatement. He talked our ears off, told us he loved the script, and answered all our questions with a lot of enthusiasm.

We barely got a word in edgewise but knew he was one of the hottest managers in town so we were pretty pumped at this point.

We spent a lot of time with him and he asked us what else we had. We explained and he said, "Great, send it my way."

After he left my writing partner and I looked at each other and didn't say a word. We were thinking the exact same thing, "What the hell just happened." Rest assured though, we were on cloud nine. You know that scene from Jerry McGuire where he was driving down the road and looking for the perfect song to play and finally found Tom Petty's "Free Falling", that was me on the way back home.

A few days later I get am e mail from Lee at about 10:45 pm and it said something like, "Talked to a couple people I know in the industry and they just don't think the script is marketable, but good luck with it."

To this day we still joke about that experience. What else can you do.

We ended up optioning the script to a Producer and I have no plans to send him anything in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by CrissCross View Post
            I will share my Lee Stobby experience. I queried him on Virtualpitchfest. BTW... I don't think it's a money grab. I've made quite a few good relationships from that site

Lee requested mine and my partner's script and a couple days later e mailed me about 7:15 am and said, "Loving what I'm reading."

We ended up meeting him for drinks in Hollywood. He was about an hour late and my writing partner and I were about to leave. But this guy had optioned "Bubbles" and my partner was in town from Toronto so we waited him out.

To say he had a lot of energy would be an understatement. He talked our ears off, told us he loved the script, and answered all our questions with a lot of enthusiasm.

We barely got a word in edgewise but knew he was one of the hottest managers in town so we were pretty pumped at this point.

We spent a lot of time with him and he asked us what else we had. We explained and he said, "Great, send it my way."

After he left my writing partner and I looked at each other and didn't say a word. We were thinking the exact same thing, "What the hell just happened." Rest assured though, we were on cloud nine. You know that scene from Jerry McGuire where he was driving down the road and looking for the perfect song to play and finally found Tom Petty's "Free Falling", that was me on the way back home.

A few days later I get am e mail from Lee at about 10:45 pm and it said something like, "Talked to a couple people I know in the industry and they just don't think the script is marketable, but good luck with it."

We ended up optioning the script to a Producer and I have no plans to send him anything in the future.
            Thanks for the anecdote, CrissCross. Starting to notice a pattern here, lol.
            "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Originally posted by CrissCross View Post

Cold and calculating with anti-social tendencies. I change my mind about Lee, he'll probably go on to be the next super producer.

Comment

But did he pay for those drinks?

Comment

If you get a meeting with a guy like Lee you have to take it.

Comment

Working...
                  X