Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spiteful Gersh Agents?

this may not surprise some of you, but it was a surprise to me. i thought this kind of behavior was reserved for jealous high schoolers with an agenda to ruin another more popular student's reputation.

for those of you looking for work but not yet on twitter, i recommend you hop on the band wagon as there is a huge movement of WGA writers helping other WGA and non-WGA writers under several hashtags. this is the social medial tool that writers use to support each other and their shows.

Jorge Reyes sent out a series of tweets yesterday that were nothing short of shocking. he was repped by Gersh, who was fired when they refused to sign the WGA CoC in April. FIRED by letter as required by the WGA. so Gersh, since April, had no rights to negotiate or conduct business dealings for Jorge.

Yesterday morning Gersh contacted Jorge's manager when they found out that Jorge was taking his business to Verve. Jorge had an afternoon meeting at FOX. when Jorge arrived for the FOX meeting, he was told that his management company had cancelled his meeting.

Jorge came to learn that it wasn't his Manager that cancelled the meeting, but rather an agent at Gersh:

Quote from Jorge's tweet: "The agents names at Gersh are Roy Ashton, David Rubin, & Shan Roy. I don’t know which one of those small motherfvckers did that, so they can all share the blame. If they did that, who’s to say they wouldn’t badmouth/talk **** to the execs I’ve already met?"

here is the 6 series tweet:
    https://twitter.com/jorgereyes/statu...21430343671809

incredible.
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Re: Spiteful Gersh Agents?

I feel bad for Jorge, but now I feel less alone in the world knowing it happens to established writers too...

This is why I laugh when I hear people talking about their reps as this perfect relationship and everything is going the way it should, and they work for the clients... and I'm like, yes that's how it is supposed to work, but how often does that happen?

If that happened to me, I bet we'd get yelled at by our managers too, because that is what happened to us when we complained about the our agents to our managers. Usually they look out for each other.

Just another sad moment in writer land, but so glad Jorge seems to be cut from the Son of Anarchy writer playbook and he does not mess around. I would never do what he did. I'd be too scared. Even though i'd wish I could do what he did.

I'm saying, this is story is probably a good indication of what really happens behind the scenes when these men and women are "advocating" on "our" behalf. No, they're not. They are trying to make money for themselves.

I bet maybe 10% are actually doing the job the right way... I hope to meet them one day.

I stand with Jorge. And pretty sure he was in LOST writing room, so even more so!!!

And for the record, every thing in life is high school when it comes down to it.

Comment

Aaaand now a volatile situation becomes outright toxic. Sigh.

Comment

and still only the second-worst thing tweeted about Gersh today

https://twitter.com/juliayorks/statu...92716420657152

Comment

Congrats to Gersh for staining itself in the eyes of writers. Maybe when the ATA inevitably folds in the current standoff with the WGA, it'll learn to act slightly less petty.

In more gross behavior news, Deadline originally titled its article describing the situation as this: "Writer Threatens Ex-Gersh Agents After Network Meeting Canceled." Even though there was no threat whatsoever in Jorge's tweets. None.

Deadline has since re-titled the article: "Writer Rips Ex-Gersh Agents After Network Meeting Canceled." I'm guessing it was forced to walk back its blatant anti-writer bias after a call from Jorge's lawyer....
          https://deadline.com/2019/05/writer-...sh-1202620303/

Given its constant anti-writer articles, I don't follow Deadline on Twitter. Encourage everyone to unfollow if you do.
          "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

It's surprising that reps will take your support staff wages... It doesn't even sound like a lot of money. Why bother?

Comment

Update: Gersh apologizes:
              https://twitter.com/jorgereyes/statu...01134104326144

Maybe public shaming is the way to keep these guys in line...
              "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
                and still only the second-worst thing tweeted about Gersh today

https://twitter.com/juliayorks/statu...92716420657152
                Damn. That's ****ed up.

Comment

This thread hasn't yet devolved into sarcasm or humor, so I'll hold off. But last night I did post a response (but then deleted it) that included a snippet from one of my older scripts that has EXACTLY this scenario: Where somebody phones an employer prospect to cancel somebody's appointment.

Comment

I certainly admire one's ability forgive in that manner. I am, however, curious if it was "here's all of your commissions returned and an NDA to sign- because that wasn't a getting drunk at your party and pissing on the couch mistake. It was a willful and calculated attempt at career derailment.

Comment

Trust me, they didn't return 1 penny and NDA -- the thing they did wrong already got out.. so there's no point.

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
                        Congrats to Gersh for staining itself in the eyes of writers. Maybe when the ATA inevitably folds in the current standoff with the WGA, it'll learn to act slightly less petty.
                        idk, do you really think they can back down? i'm not so sure the big 4 can. some of them are planning IPOs in the future, they actually need it to happen in order to remain viable as a business.

i've thought that there might be a possibility of a new kind of agency where the B4 provide packaging services still. i thought i read somewhere that SAG tried to end the packaging fees first, but failed because they didn't have the leverage that writers do? does that sound right?

In more gross behavior news, Deadline originally titled its article describing the situation as this: "Writer Threatens Ex-Gersh Agents After Network Meeting Canceled." Even though there was no threat whatsoever in Jorge's tweets. None.

Deadline has since re-titled the article: "Writer Rips Ex-Gersh Agents After Network Meeting Canceled." I'm guessing it was forced to walk back its blatant anti-writer bias after a call from Jorge's lawyer....
                        https://deadline.com/2019/05/writer-...sh-1202620303/

Given its constant anti-writer articles, I don't follow Deadline on Twitter. Encourage everyone to unfollow if you do.
                        there were some comments below the deadline article where there was some pushback. wonder if it's Gersh people trying to save face? who knows.

what happens when you fire an agent that helped you get hired on a show? do they get 10% forever? something i haven't considered before now.

best to Jorge, looks like he's going to delete the tweet. Gersh must be hurting, right? probably more than the B4.
                        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by Satriales View Post
                          I certainly admire one’s ability forgive in that manner. I am, however, curious if it was “here’s all of your commissions returned and an NDA to sign” because that wasn’t a getting drunk at your party and pissing on the couch mistake. It was a willful and calculated attempt at career derailment.
                          you know, i've always wondered why people sign NDAs and settle when they know their position is right and justice should be sought after. it helps everyone to stay the course, even if, in the end they do not receive a settlement.

it reminds me of the disappointment in the Michael Jackson settlements. they could have been part of the solution to prevent other children from experiencing the same abuse, but they chose to silence their voice for a payout.

i'm not in their position, so maybe i'd do it, too, but it seems that the entire reason for the rant was justified. why go back on it? it shows the power of a single voice with a platform. if gives power to every writer going forward.

idk, crazy ****.
                          Last edited by finalact4; 05-22-2019, 07:28 PM.

Comment

I think they're probably terrified.

We have indie films. We have indie web series. We have startup streaming channels.

When people are having more success w/o agents than before, that's one more element of the industry that could go the way of Tower Records.

Comment

Maybe, the WGA and SAG should consider joining forces. Harder to ignore two unions. I heard a manager speculate that in the short run, the agencies are fine, but in the long run after 9 months, then it's starts to really hurt.

Comment

Working...
                              X