Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adam Harris Engelhard - Manager/Producer

he contacted me a while ago about Tracker and i forwarded it to my manager and i don't have any record from my manager, at the time, giving any kind of update. so i don't know what happened. i think he might also go by Nash Naren.

i've always been a bit concerned with the fact that my manager wanted to be attached as a producer and wondered whether that may have had an impact on some of the interest from industry pros.

Adam found my script on The Black List and said he really enjoyed it and wanted to talk about where it was as. going though some old emails and came across his name. he's got two in post now and four more in development. the name of his company he works for is Mailroom.

i want to find a good manager that is strong with story development.

any thoughts are much appreciated.
    FA4
    "Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist,- Pablo Picasso

Re: Adam Harris Engelhard - Manager/Producer

So, what are you asking exactly? Are you looking for advice on whether or not to approach Adam? Or are you asking how to handle the situation with your former manager still attached as a producer? Or how to handle that situation generally?

My manager is attached as a producer to one of my scripts and he's going to attach to the one we're developing now. So far with the first one it hasn't been a hindrance. And I'm not worried about the one we're doing now. If a script sells, they'll negotiate their own producer deal. Of course, that could be an issue with financiers down the line, but I'm not there yet. All I know is my manager is an exec producer on a few projects that have sold, so at least with those scripts it wasn't a problem.

As a general thing, I've never been too worried about managers attaching themselves as producers so long as they deserve it. My manager puts a lot of time and effort into development, so in my eyes he's earned it. Other managers might do jack sh*t and still take the credit. That would be a problem with me.

As for Adam, I don't recognize the name and only see one co-producer credit in Studio System. I'm not sure if it's worth chasing after him. And in general, it's a tricky thing to go back to someone who liked your scripts a few years ago (or however long ago it was). I understand the impulse, and have done the same in the past, but it never really works out unless you already have a good relationship with that person. And even then their initial enthusiasm has long since waned. It's better to seek out a new manager with a fresh piece of material. Generating new stuff and getting it out into the world is the lifeblood of your career.

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
      So, what are you asking exactly? Are you looking for advice on whether or not to approach Adam? Or are you asking how to handle the situation with your former manager still attached as a producer? Or how to handle that situation generally?
      apologies. my former manager is no longer attached. i am asking 1) if anyone knows anything about him, his style, personality, has anyone worked with him before.

and 2) in general what are your feelings regarding the situation, which you've provided good insight, so thank you.

My manager is attached as a producer to one of my scripts and he's going to attach to the one we're developing now. So far with the first one it hasn't been a hindrance. And I'm not worried about the one we're doing now. If a script sells, they'll negotiate their own producer deal. Of course, that could be an issue with financiers down the line, but I'm not there yet. All I know is my manager is an exec producer on a few projects that have sold, so at least with those scripts it wasn't a problem.

As a general thing, I've never been too worried about managers attaching themselves as producers so long as they deserve it. My manager puts a lot of time and effort into development, so in my eyes he's earned it. Other managers might do jack sh*t and still take the credit. That would be a problem with me.

As for Adam, I don't recognize the name and only see one co-producer credit in Studio System. I'm not sure if it's worth chasing after him. And in general, it's a tricky thing to go back to someone who liked your scripts a few years ago (or however long ago it was). I understand the impulse, and have done the same in the past, but it never really works out unless you already have a good relationship with that person. And even then their initial enthusiasm has long since waned. It's better to seek out a new manager with a fresh piece of material. Generating new stuff and getting it out into the world is the lifeblood of your career.
      thanks, i appreciate the advice. the thing with this script is that my previous manager took it to not even a dozen people. Sony TV exec was interested for a bit, staff read it and met about it, but ultimately at the time they had another similar project they were developing and two shows with similar tone and subject matter from other channels were cancelled.

thank you, docgonzo, i appreciate the help. it makes sense.
      "Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist,- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Just with managers attaching as a producer. Does developing a screenplay constitute production work?

I thought that part would be the 15 or 10% they take from you.

Comment

My manager does deep development so he's deserving of attaching. He does not take a commission on projects where he is attached. The verbiage:

"Producer will be engaged on the project as an Executive Producer (or other level of producer as the Studio may determine) on terms to be negotiated in good faith with the applicable Studio. Artist will retain 100% of all forms of compensation therefor as his sole and exclusive property. Producer acknowledges that such compensation will be in lieu of any manager commissions to which Producer may be entitled from Artist in connection with the Project.-

Comment

Working...
          X