X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GucciGhostXXX
    replied
    Re: Need Some Advice...

Ps... I bet docgonzo is a better writer than me. Let me just lay that out there. Ha!

Leave a comment:

• GucciGhostXXX
    replied

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
    So basically, you want to approach the management side of this company you were in negotiations with a couple of years ago on TRACKER, is that it?

I mean, it's tricky. I'm sure people here will disagree with me, but I think it's always a better path to do this kind of thing with a fresh piece of material. The school of thought being 1.) TRACKER has already been exposed to the town, albeit in small drips and drabs (but still...), and 2.) this company has already seen it and has since moved on. And while you might have had a good experience during the negotiations, you don't know what was going on BTS between your then-manager and them. Unless you were the one doing the negotiating (that part's unclear). Maybe your manager was a d!ck to them or botched the deal. Or maybe it was all cool. But thing is, you don't know.

It's so much easier, imo, to approach people with an email that says, "Hey, remember when you guys read/loved TRACKER? Well I have a new script I thought you guys would love... I've since moved on from [manager] and I'm looking for new representation. I would love to work with you guys in that capacity..." Or something like that.

I've never had great experiences going back to the well with the same script. I've always gotten better traction and more reads with a new one.
    Nope... agreed!

This is a way better email "You liked my script TRACKER. I have a new script called ____ that "NO ONE HAS SEEN." I'm coming to you first, as I love and respect your taste in material." Ahh fresh meat... everyone responds better to fresh meat.

That's my email. Some may disagree.
    Last edited by GucciGhostXXX; 07-15-2019, 11:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• docgonzo
    replied

So basically, you want to approach the management side of this company you were in negotiations with a couple of years ago on TRACKER, is that it?

I mean, it's tricky. I'm sure people here will disagree with me, but I think it's always a better path to do this kind of thing with a fresh piece of material. The school of thought being 1.) TRACKER has already been exposed to the town, albeit in small drips and drabs (but still...), and 2.) this company has already seen it and has since moved on. And while you might have had a good experience during the negotiations, you don't know what was going on BTS between your then-manager and them. Unless you were the one doing the negotiating (that part's unclear). Maybe your manager was a d!ck to them or botched the deal. Or maybe it was all cool. But thing is, you don't know.

It's so much easier, imo, to approach people with an email that says, "Hey, remember when you guys read/loved TRACKER? Well I have a new script I thought you guys would love... I've since moved on from [manager] and I'm looking for new representation. I would love to work with you guys in that capacity..." Or something like that.

I've never had great experiences going back to the well with the same script. I've always gotten better traction and more reads with a new one.

Leave a comment:

• GucciGhostXXX
    replied

IDK... But, I would reach out to anyone and everyone who is legit for your genre. Why be exclusive?

Second, I would give them 2 passes at most. If it's a major note. Fukk off, this is gonna be trouble. If it's a day's work. Whatevez. Do it so they have mental equity. Then one more day? Whatevez. Do it so they have mental equity. Months of rewrites for a "manager"? Fukk that!

...IMO

Leave a comment:

• finalact4
    started a topic Need Some Advice...

Need Some Advice...

i have a situation and i'm not sure how to proceed.

i had been away from writing for about 2 years and am now able to write full time. i do travel some, but basically vaca kind of travelling, and am able to make writing my full time job.

so, i have a new spec i'm rewriting, and another one that will be ready in a couple months. So i'll have four strong (imo ) specs min this year.

a few years ago i finished Tracker and Wasteland:The Sixth State. both did well on the black list website. you might already be aware. the later when to maybe a handful of studios/prodco, and Tracker went to a dozen, i think?

i had a production company, one you've all heard of, who also has a management division want to option Tracker. after a month long negotiation we were unable to come to terms. it was not left in a bad place to my knowledge and i enjoyed my contact at the company very much.

since i am now looking for a manager, i wanted to consider the best approach to this company (management side). there are a few managers, but one manager that looks very good-- researching now. i have his email address. should i contact him and recap the situation? i'm pretty sure the producer/VP of Acquisitions will remember my script. my manager at the time was attaching as a producer. do not know if that impacted anything.

should i just lay it out as simply as possible? should i let them know i would like to submit for representation? or should i focus on the other management companies i am querying?

one thing that might be a concern to me, is rewriting the spec for free under the guise of a manager's notes (if they were inclined to take me on and i don't know that this would happen), so the production side could have a draft they can more easily sell? i don't know how these divisions work with respect to each other management/productions, anyone have any insights or experience? i just want to be better prepared this go around.
    FA4
Working...
X