Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meeting with Manager via BL

I've been one of the guys taking shots at the BL now and then, but I need to post about something strange that happened today.

I've been editing the hell out of my 1st script lately and sending queries for it (which has gotten me a surprising amount of read requests but no good news yet). I put it up on the BL yesterday and ordered 2 more evals. I know damn well it's gambling but I feel like the script is a lot better than when I hosted it last.

This morning I got an industry download and then in the afternoon I got an email from a dude with a fairly well-known management company. He said he found the script on the BL and enjoyed. He asked me to send him another sample, which I just did. I don't know how the hell that happened but it worked out pretty damn nicely so far.
    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 09-28-2019, 07:19 AM.

Re: Franklin Leonard

Nice.
    Last edited by Bono; 09-18-2019, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Dude... FUKKIN AWESOME! Hope it works out for you!

Question: You've never been repped, correct? How many scripts you got? Just curious.
      Last edited by GucciGhostXXX; 09-18-2019, 07:28 PM.
      Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Bono-

Thank you. I still don't want to let myself get too excited yet.

Gucci-

Thank you too. Yeah I've never been repped. I only have two completed scripts. I'm working on a 3rd that I hope to have done by the end of the year though.

Comment

This thread is a journey.

Comment

Originally posted by DDoc View Post
            I only have two completed scripts. I'm working on a 3rd that I hope to have done by the end of the year though.
            Cool. Two is all you need.

If you've been repped before you probably only need one (A really good one).

Comment

You think I should edit that post? I knew better than to name the guy but should I edit out the company too? Maybe it doesn't matter now anyway.

Comment

You think I should edit that post? I knew better than to name the guy but should I edit out the company too? Maybe it doesn't matter now anyway.
                I don't know what post you're talking about. Can you PM me?

But, yeah, prob doesn't matter now... I'm just curious.

Or maybe you weren't talking to me. Ha!

Comment

I've been editing the hell out of my 1st script lately and sending queries for it (which has gotten me a surprising amount of read requests but no good news yet). I put it up on the BL yesterday and ordered 2 more evals. ... This morning I got an industry download and then in the afternoon I got an email from a dude with a fairly well-known management company. He said he found the script on the BL and enjoyed. He asked me to send him another sample, which I just did.
                  "He said he found the script on the BL..."

Using the Black List as an avenue to market your screenplay is valid. Not every writer like DDoc who benefited from using the Black List is gonna post about it.

And remember, if the script doesn't sell, or get the writer representation, that's not the Black List's fault.

Some may point out that DDoc got read requests from querying, so the expenses of the Black List was unnecessary.

You don't know which industry person is gonna find that your script is the right one for him, so you try to bring your script to the attention to as many industry people as possible, by any means possible, but again, only to the point that your finances allow.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeNYC View Post
                    ...only to the point that your finances allow.
                    If I was a millionaire (not every writer is broke, eh?) I would just PAY someone to fukk with all this sh!t for me if I was unrepped. And maybe even if I was repped.

If I was a billionaire, fukk it, I'd finance my own sh!t. "Oh, you don't want to make my show? Fine, I'll buy your company and make it under your banner on my own dime." Ha!

Hey, one can dream...

Comment

I've been one of the guys taking shots at the BL now and then, but I need to post about something strange that happened today.

I've been editing the hell out of my 1st script lately and sending queries for it (which has gotten me a surprising amount of read requests but no good news yet). I put it up on the BL yesterday and ordered 2 more evals. I know damn well it's gambling but I feel like the script is a lot better than when I hosted it last.

This morning I got an industry download and then in the afternoon I got an email from a dude with a fairly well-known management company. He said he found the script on the BL and enjoyed. He asked me to send him another sample, which I just did. I don't know how the hell that happened but it worked out pretty damn nicely so far.

Wow, good for you Ddoc. Fingers crossed for good reviews on TBL. There are good readers, too, at least there used to be. . Hopefully, you'll get assigned to them.

Here's to stepping forward. Congratulations on the good news so far and hopefully, soon you'll be repped!

FA4
                      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

^Thanks. This is as far as I've been in this game yet. I've gotten read requests but I've either not heard anything back or gotten a pass. I hope this guy likes my 2nd script too.

An interesting note is that this guy isn't a manager but part of this company's production wing. I've been passed on by one of the managers with this company so I hope the production guy doesn't pass the script along to him. If he does then I hope the manager doesn't **** on me.

This takes a while though, I suppose. I followed-up after a month with a few of the people who requested my script and almost all of them told me straight that they hadn't even read it yet. The rest were silent so I assume that's a pass.

Comment

Got a meeting with these guys on Thursday. Just a general, he said. Anyone got any advice?

Comment

Have fun. Act calm and like this is you meeting a friend even if it is a business meeting. I think the best way to act is casual and it's no big deal. You got 14 other meeting after this.

Have some ideas ready for future scripts, they may ask. Be ready to talk about the stuff they've seen. There will be small talk, so have something to say. It's amazing how many times I was asked "what movies have you seen recently" and I blanked in the moment. Also only say good things about movies because well maybe they worked on them or their wife did... you know... don't be too honest if you hated something.

They will offer you a water. Take it.

Great sign. No pressure. Take it all in stride.

Comment

Got a meeting with these guys on Thursday. Just a general, he said. Anyone got any advice?
                              Way to go!

Bono gave you a solid rundown. I forget, this is your first meeting ever?

***DON'T PANIC*** like "Omg... I have to convert this into something right here and now. No desperation.

Yeah, #1 is "be a good hang." Yup, act like you're meeting your new best friend. Smile when you greet them, make jokes here and there (even if they suck, it lightens the mood, keeps the vibe chill). Also, it's okay to cuss... to taste... feel them out on that. They may cuss first "I fukkin dug that movie" sh!t like that). You aren't meeting with bankers.

Dress the part. Meaning, put yourself together to some degree. No shorts and flip flops. But, don't go overboard with it, like wearing a suit... unless you wrote Mad Men, then maybe. IOW dress like you're going on a date, whatever that looks like to you.

Be ready to talk about what inspired you to become a writer. Have a good story. If you don't have one, make one up. Dead serious. "Idk... I've just always loved movies" is a fukking boring answer. Also, be ready to talk about what inspired the script. But since it's a general, probably won't dwell on the script.

Be ready for the convo to go super off topic if the meeting's going well. 30 minutes of one of my one hour meetings was spent riffing on AI. Sh!t like that. If they hit a topic you find interesting hook into it and build rapport. People love to talk about sh!t they dig. IOW don't panic if you find yourself in a convo NOT about movies/tv.

They will likely ask you what kinda stuff you want to write. It's fine to rattle off a few HIT movies as comps. But also throw in some books you could see yourself adapting. Then maybe throw out some themes you're interested in, and/or worlds.

Also NEVER ASSUME a general can NEVER be flipped into an attachment. I did a general that turned into an attachment. Producers called my agent on my drive home explaining that they'd changed their minds after meeting me and wanted to attach. It's rare, but a general might be a soft no.

Most of all, just go in and have a blast. My attitude going into meetings is "I'ma turn this place out... we're about to have fun!"

Oh and, just like your screenplays --> DON'T BE BORING!

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X