Need manager/agent suggestions for an opportunity

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need manager/agent suggestions for an opportunity

    Hoping for some insight for an unusual opportunity I have coming up this Monday.

    I have a meeting with a guy in the industry who has a *ton* of contacts in L.A.- producers, agents, managers, you name it. I've sent him my scripts and he wants to connect me with some I feel will be a good fit.

    I am researching like crazy, but wanted to ask for help from my DD peeps to see if anyone comes to mind.

    He wants me to provide him with a list of specific managers, agents and producers I'd like to have read my stuff. Assuming he has connections with the specific folks I list, he will help me connect with them.

    Here's what I have:
    • A series of slasher horror scripts I've written for a franchise I've created
    • A family Christmas drama (NOT romantic "Hallmark" type) set in Victorian England
    • Romantic thriller with a female lead
    • A treasure hunting comedic adventure


    I have several more concepts, but these listed are the main things I'm working on now.

    Any recommendations as to whom I should add to my list, and why?

    Much thanks in advance, folks.

  • #2
    Re: Need manager/agent suggestions for an opportunity

    Assuming this guy is on the level (and you never know, because people like to puff themselves up), there's probably a better way to approach this.

    Let's start with your work: which one is your absolute best? The one that makes everyone go, Wow, this is ****ing great! That's the one you send out. Doesn't matter what the genre is. It's not going to matter if all the others get a meh reaction. Send the best script you have.

    Once you decide which script is going out, ask him which one of his contacts would be a good fit. After all, these are his people. He'll know a hell of lot better than you or us. (And if I'm being entirely honest, it's a bit of a red flag that he's asking you to do research.)

    Finally, if he can get you to a manager, focus in on them. A manager worth their salt will be able to get your script out to a bunch of producers, and will get you an agent if/when it's deemed the right time. An agent won't do you much good in a normal times, but under current conditions (COVID, ATA fight), it's probably not worth bothering with one right now.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Need manager/agent suggestions for an opportunity

      Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
      Assuming this guy is on the level (and you never know, because people like to puff themselves up), there's probably a better way to approach this.

      Let's start with your work: which one is your absolute best? The one that makes everyone go, Wow, this is ****ing great! That's the one you send out. Doesn't matter what the genre is. It's not going to matter if all the others get a meh reaction. Send the best script you have.

      Once you decide which script is going out, ask him which one of his contacts would be a good fit. After all, these are his people. He'll know a hell of lot better than you or us. (And if I'm being entirely honest, it's a bit of a red flag that he's asking you to do research.)

      Finally, if he can get you to a manager, focus in on them. A manager worth their salt will be able to get your script out to a bunch of producers, and will get you an agent if/when it's deemed the right time. An agent won't do you much good in a normal times, but under current conditions (COVID, ATA fight), it's probably not worth bothering with one right now.
      Ironically, that was my first thought at an approach.

      I do have one I think is my best. I've sent it (along with another) to him. He's having an assistant read them now, and I totally plan to ask him for his own thoughts.

      BUUUUUUTTTT . . . I don't want to go into this thing having not done the homework he asked me to do. I think what he wants me to do is to do some research on who they are, what they do, and who they seem to like to work with so that I can give *him* some ideas to go along with who he decides would be a good match while we talk in the meeting. That makes sense to me.

      Also, I know the guy is on the up-and-up. He's helped several of my writer friends get meetings and read requests, and he hosts interviews online with lots of different folks in the industry. (He's got one with Ryan Cunningham today that I'm going to attend.)

      But again, I don't want to show up with nothing, but not sure as to where to begin looking.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Need manager/agent suggestions for an opportunity

        Originally posted by Cokeyskunk View Post
        He wants me to provide him with a list of specific managers, agents and producers I'd like to have read my stuff. Assuming he has connections with the specific folks I list, he will help me connect with them.
        Red flag to me: this doesn't sound like how it normally works (especially since you say he has already hooked other people up and does interviews with a lot of his connections). If he reads a script he believes in and it's in a certain rep's or producer's wheelhouse, he should not need you to make the list of people to send it to. He should already have a certain universe of appropriate people to slip it to in his mind, if he's at all savvy about the industry and the legit players.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Need manager/agent suggestions for an opportunity

          Originally posted by Cokeyskunk View Post
          But again, I don't want to show up with nothing, but not sure as to where to begin looking.
          Our main site. That's one of two key reasons it even exists.

          I just ran a search for horror projects set up in the last two years basically. We listed 158. One can look through all those very easily and see what the logline is, what agents, managers and/or lawyers repped the writer(s) on the deal and what production companies and producers were/are involved as well. You can also see certain names that show up over & over again, such as Blumhouse or Vertigo. Maybe your person can't get you reads from them, but hopefully you can see what I'm noting at least.

          We listed nearly 60 family films. Most aren't Christmas but a few are. You could do a wider date range just to see. And we've listed 270 deals for thrillers. Same thing again. You can also run specific "genre" searches or do keyword searches in the logline field (vampires, hitman, woman, dog, etc.), then see everyone who were involved with each type of genre or story subject respectively.

          That said, I'm going to have to kind of agree with others. This person should just know who to send it to. He should have his own mental or even physical "matchmaker" list of where it could be send. Unless, of course, you're taking to a "dentist-to-the-stars." But the above is what you can do if you feel the need to do some research yourself, in case that helps.
          Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 05-11-2020, 02:35 PM.
          Will
          Done Deal Pro
          www.donedealpro.com

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Need manager/agent suggestions for an opportunity

            What kind of results have you received from contests or the Blcklst with the best script? I'm just saying I wouldn't want to burn a read with something that isn't ready.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Need manager/agent suggestions for an opportunity

              Originally posted by Cokeyskunk View Post
              Hoping for some insight for an unusual opportunity I have coming up this Monday.

              I have a meeting with a guy in the industry who has a *ton* of contacts in L.A.- producers, agents, managers, you name it. I've sent him my scripts and he wants to connect me with some I feel will be a good fit.

              I am researching like crazy, but wanted to ask for help from my DD peeps to see if anyone comes to mind.

              He wants me to provide him with a list of specific managers, agents and producers I'd like to have read my stuff. Assuming he has connections with the specific folks I list, he will help me connect with them.

              Here's what I have:
              • A series of slasher horror scripts I've written for a franchise I've created
              • A family Christmas drama (NOT romantic "Hallmark" type) set in Victorian England
              • Romantic thriller with a female lead
              • A treasure hunting comedic adventure


              I have several more concepts, but these listed are the main things I'm working on now.

              Any recommendations as to whom I should add to my list, and why?

              Much thanks in advance, folks.
              Curious what became of this. PM if you don't want to share on here. Or don't if you don't want to share with me.

              But overall I always think if someone hasn't read your work yet -- how can they offer to help you? Like I'm confused how you got a meeting with him -- he liked you -- said who do you want me to send your work too and then you sent him work his assistant is reading now? That's how this reads to me.

              Comment

              Working...
              X