Clear All

• CAA reached deal with WGA

Breaking now on Deadline.

Re: CAA reached deal with WGA

Beat me to it!

This f*cking huge! Great job, WGA.

Comment

My takeaway is that people are inherently terrible at predicting outcomes. For anything.

Comment

Exactly, though this definitely comes as a surprise. I thought for sure CAA and WME were getting out of the literary rep business. Maybe WME still is, but who knows at this point.

Comment

https://deadline.com/2020/09/caa-in-...ga-1234576395/

Comment

They had a choice. Not be in the writer business or be in the writer business. I imagine they ran the numbers and a deal with the WGA was better for the bottom line. Purely a business decision. Glad it happened, but those writers who left and signed elsewhere, like Verve? I'll bet the majority don't come back.

Comment

Wow.

Comment

Did anyone read the article and the news -- sounds like CAA went full "orange man" and just said they had a deal before the WGA agreed to anything. From what I've seen it's just PR push...

Comment

yeah, you're right.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...packaging-fees

Looks like CAA announced the deal, but all the deal points haven't been completely ironed out. I wonder if it's an attempt to get their clients to come running back? I can't think of another reason WHY they would say they had a deal when it hasn't been finalized?

Thoughts? Speculations? Rumors?
                  "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                    Looks like CAA announced the deal, but all the deal points haven't been completely ironed out. I wonder if it's an attempt to get their clients to come running back? I can't think of another reason WHY they would say they had a deal when it hasn't been finalized?

Thoughts? Speculations? Rumors?
                    I mean, they've had several high-profile defections from their lit department off to become managers, so the writing is kind of on the wall about how that's going to keep going if nothing changes. Without knowing more, it feels like negotiating in public but from a position of weakness not strength. None of the writers I follow on twitter seemed impressed and most found it pretty laughable, especially coming from CAA. Maybe they have some bigger plan or strategy that this is an opening gambit in but what's their plan B if the guild just says "thanks but no thanks."

Comment

Kinda anti-climactic at this point but just to tie a bow on the whole saga, WME has signed (nearly two years after the WGA fired their agents and were told that it was impossible to end packaging at the big 4 agencies)

https://deadline.com/2021/02/wme-sig...ss-1234688833/

Comment

Wake me up when agents stop being useless to most every writer I know. But I'm sure they are helpful to some. I don't want an agent again, but maybe that's just me.

Comment

Working...
                        X