X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LA Neighborhoods

Hey Ale88,

We haven't heard from you in a while. What did you finally decide to do???
    Second Draft = First Draft less 10%
    -Stephen King

Comment

Hello again....still the same story....moving next summer. I have started another screenplay, and I am getting up the courage to start calling and sending out those letters soon. Thanks JohnDoe for your continued effort to protect me as posters continue to feel like I am committing some immortal sin by coming out. But hey I am quite accustomed to it, as I get plenty of it here also. But this is my life and my dream, and ultimately my decision, so I am doing it. Thanks to all for your interest, criticism, and support....

Comment

Not sure if I posted this, but if you light in a hotel Sun-Thursdays, ask the
        front desk clerk for a discount since you are there during the week. Usually
        they will give you one if you ask or at least you might get an upgrade.

Charli

Comment

Doesn't matter what town or industry... there's always

"that guy"

had I listened to "that guy" thoughout my own life, I would be sleeping in a cardboard box for sure.

Comment

Hi, Ale. I was in the same situation. I was tired of my occupation in another city, uprooted the family after I had only written two specs, and moved to Los Angeles.

Was it a shock? Absolutely! Was it worth it? Absolutely! I mean, unless you're some kind of Amish family still riding a buggy then it's really no big deal. Your clearly sane and sharp enough to handle the congestion and madness. It's just another big city, full of crazy people, no biggie.

I've met a ton of industry folks, some I've made solid connections through, some a waste of time. But the networking and close contact, being face to face with people here is totally worth the trip.

I optioned a couple scripts based on those meetings, and of course the quality of the script. But I would like to think that my personality and close relations helped.

I have two kids and a wife. Fortunately my wifes company had an office out here so her transition was pretty easy. I'm still a starving writer so things are tight, but I'm making things happen, none of which could have been done where I was. It's just a completely different take when you're right in the heart of the beast. Personally, I think the people who actually made the move should be the only one's chiming in, but that's just me.

As for areas, I'm still getting used to all of them. We had a choice. Either get a larger house in a semi-shady area, or take a small place in a great neigborhood. We took the small place. It's more expensive but my kids are in a great school and people still flood my neigborhood jogging and walking their dogs which is a good sign, and hard to find in this town. I live in Westwood. We have a humble two bedroom condo and we pay 1700/month.

That's the skinny, and it's only my take.

Get out here, and good luck!
            Last edited by alveraz; 04-05-2007, 10:57 AM.

Comment

You're a cool dude Alvarez, no question.
              http://wasitsomethingiwrote.blogspot.com/

Comment

Anyone considering moving to LA area should check out www.westsiderentals.com first. It will give you an idea of how much it will cost to live in different areas of LA.

Chinaboxer

Comment

I'll be moving to LA next week. Time for a life change. I hope to meet those of you who live in the area, see you at the next LA meeting.

Comment

Originally posted by Charli View Post
                    I'll be moving to LA next week. Time for a life change. I hope to meet those of you who live in the area, see you at the next LA meeting.
                    Lots of great Q&A on this post and lotsa touchy-feely answers too.

But for those of you not already living in LA -- you're already living three years behind economic, social and technological standards living anywhere else other than NY, London, Hong Kong or Sydney.

Anything you see on film or TV today (except news and reality shows) originated in pre-development three to five years ago.

So move here -- and when you catch up -- LA's city streets, highways and freeways sprawl over 1,668 square miles east of the Pacific Ocean for 13 million LA-area residents -- then add another five million or so illegal residents living, working and driving somewhere next to you or taking your cheezy $12 minimum-wage jobs while surviving Hel-LA.

Take the 10 west to PCH -- another 11 miles you're in Malibu. Only there ain't a Malibu like you think -- because stars living in The Colony don't shop on the weekends for hayseed Bumphuque, Iowa, tourists to take their photos.

There's nothing but Serra Retreat, the town mall, a lumber company, four gas stations, Pepperdine, the pier, and the polio pond beach where Malibu Creek flows into the ocean from Tapia Park where locals used to surf without poo flowing over their boards. Hey Gidget...

Take the PCH back to Sunset Blvd and follow it to Yucca Street -- that tasteless drive is the appearance of Hollywood.

Drive Sunset past Rampart -- LAPD's finest former drug czars -- to the 101 to Universal City.

Enjoy Hollywood at its finest. Nobody really local -- from multi-generational Californians (endangered species) to transports settled here for years from around the globe -- ever admits going there.

Let's put the question back in your non-LA residents' ballcourt -- if you were a big writer in your small town, and an LA, NY, London, Hong Kong or Sydney metropolitan writer showed up to write in your town, would you quit and let them take over your laptop?

What every writer living in a major city already knows about the hardships and pitfalls this industry creates for their hardscrabble concrete and glass lives -- they're sure as heck not volunteering info to someone who owes them nothing.

It's the wannabe writer's duty, in any genre, to find these answers out for themselves for their story to be successfully told. Most return home to Mama -- thankfully -- although a few are given their 15-minute white trash reality show, poke fun at being drunk in public, navel-shot spotlight.

City mice have always guarded their metro trash can wealth.

Enjoy your hayseed -- and best to your writing career...

Comment

Out of all the people I've met while living in LA, only one - yes one - was born and raised there. And she's been struggling for years to be a director. Meaining - studio director or at least an indy with a theatrical release.

And speaking of the pier in Malibu - Are they ever going to reopen Alice's?

Comment

I just moved to Sun Valley, CA. I like it, is also close to many of the studios...

Comment

Okay, I did a little spring cleaning here. If someone wants to move to LA, is it really any different, with or without kids, moving to any other city in the U.S.A. How many families move to N.Y.C. to follow their dreams? Or to Nashville (has more homeless singers than any other city in the USA). People are going to move where they think they can make things happen, there really shouldn't be a debate whether it's right or wrong, instead, let's help people out to where they can land if they DO move here.

I love Santa Monica!

Wait, did I say that loud enough?

I LOVE SANTA MONICA!!!

I take walks down the beach, down Montana Avenue, down to 3rd street Promenade. I walk everywhere. I also ride the Metro to the Vermount Subway station, jump on the subway and go to Universal or Hollywood. I'm been on two LA city tours and I still can't get enough of this town. I'm not working at the moment.

I have however been to two film festivals, one Inside Pitch workshop with Christopher Lockhart, attended the basic class for Writer's Bootcamp, have had lunch with Will, the donedealpro owner himself, lunch with two other women writers on this board, lunch with a group of filmmakers from another message board I visit, invited to help on a film crew in Orange County (I did decline), offered to join a 2nd Unit film crew in LA that's work on productions such as "24 Hours" - uh, did I mention I looooooooove LA?

I'm only been here four months, one month getting settled, three months just meeting one filmmaker or writer after another. I love Santa Monica. I love the beach. I finally feel at home.

LA is not for everybody, but that would be true of every city in the U.S.A. I recommend Santa Monica if you like trendy, Venice if you're a little hippy, Culver City if you want more affordable, and Malibu if you can wing it.

Comment

Rent isn't too bad if you hunt around, craigslist gives you a good idea of prices in the different neighborhoods

Comment

ha ha, what a joke. London? 5 years ahead? you have obviously never been there. Sydney? you're kidding? hmm, seems you left off Mumbai / Bombay. 800 movies a year.

now...WHO Is YEARS behind?

bottom line, you'll never write EVERY movie in Hollywood. if you're not good, leave.

troll.

Originally posted by dXsh View Post
                              Lots of great Q&A on this post and lotsa touchy-feely answers too.

But for those of you not already living in LA -- you're already living three years behind economic, social and technological standards living anywhere else other than NY, London, Hong Kong or Sydney.

Anything you see on film or TV today (except news and reality shows) originated in pre-development three to five years ago.

So move here -- and when you catch up -- LA's city streets, highways and freeways sprawl over 1,668 square miles east of the Pacific Ocean for 13 million LA-area residents -- then add another five million or so illegal residents living, working and driving somewhere next to you or taking your cheezy $12 minimum-wage jobs while surviving Hel-LA.

Take the 10 west to PCH -- another 11 miles you're in Malibu. Only there ain't a Malibu like you think -- because stars living in The Colony don't shop on the weekends for hayseed Bumphuque, Iowa, tourists to take their photos.

There's nothing but Serra Retreat, the town mall, a lumber company, four gas stations, Pepperdine, the pier, and the polio pond beach where Malibu Creek flows into the ocean from Tapia Park where locals used to surf without poo flowing over their boards. Hey Gidget...

Take the PCH back to Sunset Blvd and follow it to Yucca Street -- that tasteless drive is the appearance of Hollywood.

Drive Sunset past Rampart -- LAPD's finest former drug czars -- to the 101 to Universal City.

Enjoy Hollywood at its finest. Nobody really local -- from multi-generational Californians (endangered species) to transports settled here for years from around the globe -- ever admits going there.

Let's put the question back in your non-LA residents' ballcourt -- if you were a big writer in your small town, and an LA, NY, London, Hong Kong or Sydney metropolitan writer showed up to write in your town, would you quit and let them take over your laptop?

What every writer living in a major city already knows about the hardships and pitfalls this industry creates for their hardscrabble concrete and glass lives -- they're sure as heck not volunteering info to someone who owes them nothing.

It's the wannabe writer's duty, in any genre, to find these answers out for themselves for their story to be successfully told. Most return home to Mama -- thankfully -- although a few are given their 15-minute white trash reality show, poke fun at being drunk in public, navel-shot spotlight.

City mice have always guarded their metro trash can wealth.

Enjoy your hayseed -- and best to your writing career...
                              a touch is a blow, a sound is a noise, a misfortune is a tragedy, a joy is an ecstasy, a friend is a lover, a lover is a god, and failure is death. Pearl Buck

Comment

How are the rental prices out there? The economy has taken a huge hit and I like to think prices have gone down somewhat. I plan on moving out next summer. Was looking at Burbank but maybe I should re-think that. Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                                X