X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LA Neighborhoods

Originally posted by Popcorntreect View Post
    How are the rental prices out there? The economy has taken a huge hit and I like to think prices have gone down somewhat. I plan on moving out next summer. Was looking at Burbank but maybe I should re-think that. Thoughts?
    Rental prices haven't gone down if anything they have gone up. Home prices have gone down some but it is harder for people to get a loan so people who would normally buy, are renting. Also the investors that drove up the home prices are buying apartment buildings now instead and fixing them up and raising the rents. I live in Long Beach(we don't have rent control)so I am not sure what sections of L.A. have it and what limits landlords have when they make improvements and want to raise the rents.

Last night in San Pedro

Comment

So, since this thread was just bumped i'll ask for some help

Moving back to LA for a new job, need to live in the valley anyone know a good apartment that's reasonably priced, close to stores/gyms/etc and isn't in a horrible part of town? I think when I lived in LA before I went to the valley once, and I was lost... So I know nothing about it. Ideally somewhere in Van Nuys or NoHo.

Comment

yeah, i'm moving back to la for my new job..gonna need a roommate who isn't a psycho :P

Comment

Originally posted by thatcomedian View Post
          Rental prices haven't gone down if anything they have gone up.
          Definitely gone up for two reasons: (1) nobody is buying houses and (2) the price of gas is driving up costs in general. A large percentage of my friends have told me their rent has gone up, and I expect the same to happen to me. One couple without rent control is facing something like a 42% jump.

It's my understanding that rent control is based on the age of the building, not its location. I haven't researched that, though.

One thing to consider when looking for a place out here is that gas in LA seems to be more expensive than in most other places around the country, and public transportation sucks. So that has to be factored into the cost of living here.
          "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
          ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by Ravenlocks View Post
            It's my understanding that rent control is based on the age of the building, not its location. I haven't researched that, though.

One thing to consider when looking for a place out here is that gas in LA seems to be more expensive than in most other places around the country, and public transportation sucks. So that has to be factored into the cost of living here.
            With those two things in mind, one should live as close to work as possible, or if possible work from home.

For neighborhoods that have potential, downtown, while in the process of gentrifying, has a lot of jobs available. You could walk to work, grocery stores, etc downtown.

Public transportation in LA is not bad, provided that you work and live on the same side of town. It's nothing to catch a bus from Marina del Rey to Santa Monica, or from Silver Lake Downtown. It's nothing to catch a train from Pasadena downtown.

It's going to be crazy like hell trying to take public transportation from the west side to SF Valley.

So basically, just make sure you'll live reasonably close to where you'll work, and you'll do fine with your car OR public transportation.

I would also advise people to visit Los Angeles before hand, check out neighborhoods, and get your own impressions. Someone who thinks they are too high class to even consider public transportation will tell you that there's none in LA, but Los Angeles still has the biggest bus system in the country (bigger than NY's), and the third biggest rail network (only New York and Chicago are bigger).
            Check out my videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/NyFilmmaker32/videos

Comment

So rent has gone up? Yikes.

Is there some sorta community or neighborhood where screenwriters live?

Comment

A lot of comedians live in Koreatown. I think writers live there too.

Last night in San Pedro

Comment

I livein Woodland Hills. It's a great neighborhood, and everything is within walking or biking distance.

That said, if you want to go anywhere near Hollywood you have to take the 405 or 101 freeways, which are ALWAYS crowded.

Comment

Under a bridge with the other homeless...
                    "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

Comment

• Re: LA Neighborhoods

Gas prices have dropped, and I'm sure rents prices are going down to. And if SAG goes on strike, with all the new jobless and homeless people in LA, rents would go down further. Good for you if you have a good job.
                      Check out my videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/NyFilmmaker32/videos

Comment

Originally posted by Code7Films View Post
                        Under a bridge with the other homeless...
                        Good source of dialogue, for sure.
                        "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                        - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

I just moved to Bel Air. It's just a small 300 sq foot pool house that I'm renting for 985. In ANY other city in the country, this wouldnt even be worth 400 bucks a month. However, I get to live in the hills, away from the ghettos ( and I include all of LA and Santa Monica in that list ), and work is just a 20 minute drive away ( as opposed to the hour and a half or so that WAS my commute )

Comment

"Ghetto" ? ... I don't think Santa Monica's that bad, there's certainly a huge homeless population with its own drug culture, there's the Armenian taxi mafia, there's still the remnants of a gang or two, and the pier's certaily a zoo on weekends ... but for the population density it's one of the "nicer" and safer places I've ever lived in my life.

Where else in the world can you see German tourists taking snapshots of a hobo who's simultaneously defecating and smoking crack less than a block from their $500 a night ocean view hotel? [not making that up!]

This said ... rents are definitely coming down ... the upper one bed across from me is on the market for $200 a month less than the exact same one bed beneath it rented for a year ago...
                            "You become what you think about all day long" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by scavenge View Post
                              "Ghetto" ? ... I don't think Santa Monica's that bad, there's certainly a huge homeless population with its own drug culture, there's the Armenian taxi mafia, there's still the remnants of a gang or two, and the pier's certaily a zoo on weekends ... but for the population density it's one of the "nicer" and safer places I've ever lived in my life.

Where else in the world can you see German tourists taking snapshots of a hobo who's simultaneously defecating and smoking crack less than a block from their $500 a night ocean view hotel? [not making that up!]

This said ... rents are definitely coming down ... the upper one bed across from me is on the market for $200 a month less than the exact same one bed beneath it rented for a year ago...
                              You sure they weren't paying this guy to take a dump?

They do like their scheisse videos.
                              If you really like it you can have the rights
                              It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

• Rent control in the city of LA-

Originally posted by Ravenlocks View Post

Raven, there are two types of LA rent controlled buildings in the city of LA proper-

Buildings built before 1978 are under rent control such that after you move in, the landlord can only raise the rent 3 to 5% per year from the original rent in your first year's lease. (That percentage increase changes slightly every year depending on how the city council sets the rate.)

Between tenants, the landlord can raise the rent up to current market rate. So for example one of my old apartments was $575 a month when I got it. Was raised to $600 or so the 2nd year, then $630 or so the third year per the rent control rule. Then I left it, and the next guy after me was paying like $850.

There are some buildings under a later ordinance where the management can raise it 10% per year max. (I'm not sure how widely this applies, but the landlord has to disclose the applicable laws if you're hunting for a place.)

Santa Monica and some other cities have their own versions of this kind of rent control, but none of that is very helpful when you have to move in at the current rates, which are high. To move into LA on the cheap, your best bet is to move in with a roommate who's been in a rent controlled apartment for several years.

Also, it's worth mentioning that some areas around the city proper have NO rent control. When I lived in Pasadena, I had this hosebag landlord who neglected repairs, and jacked the rent up like 30% over about a year and a half. There was no stopping it other than one obscure rule which says anything over 10% jump requires 2 months written notice in Pasadena.

You just have to be careful to recognize that the odd patchwork of cities in and around LA has a variety of rent control rules.
                                Last edited by ExtHollywoodDay; 01-20-2009, 09:11 PM.
                                - - - - - - -
                                Script consulting still going strong.

Details and updates here, as always: http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ead.php?t=9901

Comment

Working...
                                X