Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Tell me something about yourself," Request

Ok, just recently got that request from a studio after pitching a script. They weren't interested in reading the script but wanted to know something about me. The copy that I've been using obviously has not excited anyone so I thought I would start fresh with a new version.

Thought I'd ask you guys for any tips/do's & don'ts. This will be for an email.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 02-16-2021, 07:10 AM. Reason: Added tags

Most people find it difficult to write about themselves. I've written many "About Me" web pages for my clients. And when I interview them for information, I find they give me dry details like a resume. The fact that they want you to write it instead of chatting with you on the phone could be an opportunity to exhibit your writing chops.

Essentially, what you write will be an effort in marketing yourself. The question is -- why are they asking you to tell them about yourself. What could be their objective? The pros here would have better insight into this. My hunch is that they want to get a sense of how it would be to work with you.

I'd advise researching the person(s) who made the request. Whatever info you can find (age, background, college) -- an interview would be great. It can give you a sense of the way the person thinks and processes information, the way they speak and respond to questions. Once you get a sense of who they are it's easier to fulfill one of the top rules of marketing: sell people the way they want to be sold. It also helps to infuse a bit of humor but you want to get a sense of the person to craft the right kind of humor.

Hope this helps.
    Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

PS: I was curious as to why they asked the question and found this article -- maybe it will help:

https://screencraft.org/2018/01/22/e...ady-to-answer/
      Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

sc111 - These have been very helpful! Many thanks.

Comment

You're welcome.

Comment

Working...
          X