No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Development executive moved into new department

Hi DD Pro's,

New-ish but not entirely green writer/creator, here.

So, I recently had a Limited Series that was being championed by a development executive within one of the big five studios. This executive was just moved by her boss to work on developing Features, instead, and let my manager know that, as a result, she can no longer work on our LS.

My question is this: If this exec loved the project so much, why can't she hand it off to someone she trusts, within that LS department? Maybe to insiders this seems like a no-brainer, but to someone for whom this would have been my first official "deal" I'm confused. I realize I could ask my manager, but she's already out pitching it to ten other places, so I don't want to dwell on this one opportunity (or, sound dumb). Help!

Ask your manager. That’s one of the perks of having one in the first place. That you have someone in your corner to help demystify these types of things. You won’t sound stupid.

Short answer is: sure, if they’d optioned the project and then that executive got transferred they’d likely just reassign it to another exec to run point. But in this case, that exec isn’t developing the project with you yet - they’re just acting as a cheerleader for it. And hey, that’s still really important!

BUT ... dev is usually by committee. The majority of said development team considering the project needs to feel comfortable gambling the large amounts of time and money associated with it. So when that exec, your cheerleader, got reassigned, it’s not like they can turn to “Bob” and “Carol” and say “here, make sure wordherders project crosses the finish lime” because the others might not feel as strongly, or have their own projects they want to champion over yours.

Talk to your manager. They should be able to glean the honest state of your project there.

Comment

Good advice from JS90 - all I'd add is that that exec is a fan, so if you have any ambition in the feature world, have your manager try to set up a general.

Comment

Working...
      X