How exactly did COVID affect the script SPEC business or SCREENWITING BIZ in general?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How exactly did COVID affect the script SPEC business or SCREENWITING BIZ in general?

    Hi,

    I am still working hard on all my writing,

    Just wondering. HOW did COVID pandemic affect the script(screenplay) business and and more specifically the spec business.
    This is what folks are telling me. Write more TV scripts. Write more novels. Write more webisodes. What is going on ?

    Can someone tell me if Hollywood 100% changed to the point of no return because of Covid. Will CINEMAS open in 5 years or never? Will you go into a cinema to watch WEST SIDE STORY (REMAKE) or AVATAR 2, 3, 4, 5??

    Have you given up on seeing your script make it to the big screen. Are big cinemas becoming dinosaurs?
    Done Deal Pro
    Administrator
    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 03-04-2021, 06:11 AM. Reason: Fixed formatting so easier to read and corrected some spelling.

  • #2
    COVID-19 affected production more than anything. It put things on hold or made any production have to take numerous steps to be safe. But films aren't dead and neither are movie theaters. People will get back to theaters in the future. I'll go for sure, but not any time soon, but I will go back. Once vaccines are taken and "the numbers" become significantly low, low, low, then things will slowly get back to normal. There are sadly movie theaters closing and/or filing for bankruptcy, yet, it should all work out eventually.

    Not to bring up a sensitive subject for anyone, but as an example, we all got back to flying on planes after the unbelievably tragic event years ago. It just takes a little time. Adjustments are made. Protocols and safety measures are put in place.

    Write want you want to write. Write what you are passionate about. Tell the stories in the way you want to tell your stories. If you truly are a terrific/strong writer & storyteller, things should work out.

    We've been listing a number of deals lately on the main site. Last month (February), we listed 71 film deals and 164 TV deals - latter includes TV movies for streamers. It's always the shortest month of every year and usually not super busy, but that's "not too shabby," as Adam Sandler would say. Yes, we're listing more TV deals nowadays. There has definitely been a shift with more platforms for viewing shows and also movies via TVs, computers & mobile. The number of deals has shifted over time from film being the highest each month to now TV.

    That said, I firmly believe we'll see folks back in theaters once all can settle down. Just write.
    Done Deal Pro
    Administrator
    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 03-04-2021, 07:17 AM.
    Will
    Done Deal Pro
    www.donedealpro.com

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
      COVID-19 affected production more than anything. It put things on hold or made any production have to take numerous steps to be safe. But films aren't dead and neither are movie theaters. People will get back to theaters in the future. I'll go for sure, but not any time soon, but I will go back. Once vaccines are taken and "the numbers" become significantly low, low, low, then things will slowly get back to normal. There are sadly movie theaters closing and/or filing for bankruptcy, yet, it should all work out eventually.

      Not to bring up a sensitive subject for anyone, but as an example, we all got back to flying on planes after the unbelievably tragic event years ago. It just takes a little time. Adjustments are made. Protocols and safety measures are put in place.

      Write want you want to write. Write what you are passionate about. Tell the stories in the way you want to tell your stories. If you truly are a terrific/strong writer & storyteller, things should work out.

      We've been listing a number of deals lately on the main site. Last month (February), we listed 71 film deals and 164 TV deals - latter includes TV movies for streamers. It's always the shortest month of every year and usually not super busy, but that's "not too shabby," as Adam Sandler would say. Yes, we're listing more TV deals nowadays. There has definitely been a shift with more platforms for viewing shows and also movies via TVs, computers & mobile. The number of deals has shifted over time from film being the highest each month to now TV.

      That said, I firmly believe we'll see folks back in theaters once all can settle down. Just write.
      Thanks. But I read, all around the world, all the writers are writing for TV, Neflix etc.
      From Japan to Europe to India - tons of shows are being made for Netflix.
      I don't mind watching the new movies on TV. Even if they ever release Avatar 2.

      Comment


      • #4
        "All the writers" are not writing for TV. If they were, we still wouldn't be listing film deals on the main site each day & week (22 film and 30 TV deals this month so far). There's definitely been a shift in the balance towards "TV" with streamers coming in and needing lots of content from TV series to TV movies.

        But writers are still writing for theatrical feature films. That's still a thing, and surely will be for quite some time.
        Will
        Done Deal Pro
        www.donedealpro.com

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
          "All the writers" are not writing for TV. If they were, we still wouldn't be listing film deals on the main site each day & week (22 film and 30 TV deals this month so far). There's definitely been a shift in the balance towards "TV" with streamers coming in and needing lots of content from TV series to TV movies.

          But writers are still writing for theatrical feature films. That's still a thing, and surely will be for quite some time.
          I see your point.
          The dream. The magic. The power of big movies on a big screen is magical.
          So, I do get the power of big movies on big screens.
          Even movies like
          On TV it loses its power.
          And Sophia's LOST IN TRANSLATION is 100% magical on the big screen at AMC for eg.
          But on TV, it's so-so.


          Thanks .

          Comment


          • #6
            I have to say that I am impressed with Netflix' shows coming out of Europe/England. Some-- really strong. It's hard for me to enjoy some of the "dubbed in English" ones as much, because the dubbed dialogue isn't great, but limited series dark thrillers have been entertaining. At least that's my impression over the past year or so.

            I get my first vaccination on Tuesday. I started a new job and moved to LA from CT about 6 months ago, and it's a killer job-- 70 hour weeks sometimes, so I haven't been writing. But because I have this job, I'll get vaccinated next week. I'm working on getting back to writing... posting here is my primer.

            Keep writing what you love WRITERRIVERS. Maybe throw in one limited series, for the hell of it.
            "Reserving rights to comment and make changes."
            Hollywood producer

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
              I have to say that I am impressed with Netflix' shows coming out of Europe/England. Some-- really strong. It's hard for me to enjoy some of the "dubbed in English" ones as much, because the dubbed dialogue isn't great, but limited series dark thrillers have been entertaining. At least that's my impression over the past year or so.

              I get my first vaccination on Tuesday. I started a new job and moved to LA from CT about 6 months ago, and it's a killer job-- 70 hour weeks sometimes, so I haven't been writing. But because I have this job, I'll get vaccinated next week. I'm working on getting back to writing... posting here is my primer.

              Keep writing what you love WRITERRIVERS. Maybe throw in one limited series, for the hell of it.
              Thanks. I appreciated the positivism. We must all never give up. After we all get our vaccines, it's hustle and flow. Can't wait. I love this chase. I love this game. I love Hollywood. I am in love with life.

              Btw, I write scripts and lyrics and short stories.

              I am excited about writing. The sun is out. And here on my favorite song (lyrics) I play when I write.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by WRITERRIVERS View Post
                Hi,

                I am still working hard on all my writing,

                Just wondering. HOW did COVID pandemic affect the script(screenplay) business and and more specifically the spec business.
                This is what folks are telling me. Write more TV scripts. Write more novels. Write more webisodes. What is going on ?

                Can someone tell me if Hollywood 100% changed to the point of no return because of Covid. Will CINEMAS open in 5 years or never? Will you go into a cinema to watch WEST SIDE STORY (REMAKE) or AVATAR 2, 3, 4, 5??

                Have you given up on seeing your script make it to the big screen. Are big cinemas becoming dinosaurs?
                Hi Sir,
                Just wondering, becaused of the pandemic. Will more crazy borderline R-rated or Adult Swim Family Guy styled animation be written for Netflix etc?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by WRITERRIVERS View Post

                  Hi Sir,
                  Just wondering, because of the pandemic, will more crazy borderline R-rated or Adult Swim Family Guy styled animation be written for Netflix etc?
                  I'm not sure if I completely follow your line of questioning or thinking, but I don't think we will really see more "crazy borderline R-rated stuff or Adult Swim content one way or the other. I think mainly streamers, in particular, will look for good, funny stuff whether live-action or animation, that seems relatively fresh with a different spin on things seen in the past. Since sites like Netflix and Hulu are curated content sites, they are surely wanting things that provide entertainment for a large group of viewers or at least a sizeable niche group/market. Netflix and Crunchy Roll have been pushing for some more animation/anime series of late. Maybe look at what they have been setting up to give you some guidance. A good deal of their recent projects seem to fall more into the Science Fiction, Action and/or Fantasy genres.

                  Streamers definitely have less restrictions on them due to no regulations (FCC) and can release more varied, non-restricted type content, of course, where as networks can't.
                  Will
                  Done Deal Pro
                  www.donedealpro.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I think the question was -- will more animation projects sell because easier to make then live action under covid restrictions and from outside looking in -- it seems like yes -- that is true. Animation is obviously safer for the actors and pays well most of the time for doing work in your PJs at home these days.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Gotcha. Well, if that is the question, then I think "one" asking about this now puts them already behind the curve. Animation is great for many reasons. And as Bono noted, actors can record from home in their jammies, if they want, in some cases. Or at worst drive to a recording stage in Hollywood in their sweats and spend a few days recording all their lines by themselves in a booth and pretty much be done with it. (Small recording crew, of course.)

                      But at this point, I think with vaccines rolling out things will get going again, albeit with strong safety measures & standards, in the not so distant future. On a related note, an actor friend of mine who has been in several Hallmark movies just got back from Canada. They flew him and the other cast members up, then put them in lock-down for two weeks at their hotel before shooting started. Then kept a close eye on all the entire time - temp testing, masks, etc. It's raising the cost of production, but they are getting back to it all.

                      Actors can have fun with and get paid nicely for lending their voices to an animated feature or TV series, of course. But most actors don't want to do that predominantly, any more than the vast majority of audiences want to watch only animated projects. We like seeing real people. Actors like to be seen and truly act, not just voice act. (Not saying anyone is suggesting only animation; just noting this for the sake of discussion.)

                      If scientists were telling us this could go on for five more years, at least, with lock-downs coming back at different times, then I'd think there would be a much greater push for animation. Sure. But we are most likely heading towards an "end" to this more so than we are at the beginning of it all or even in the middle. Animation will surely always be something nice to have for streamers, networks and studios -- especially for Nickelodeon, Disney and Disney+.

                      Most of what we are listing now is still really for live-action film & TV projects that people hope to shoot later this year or aim to start in 2022.
                      Done Deal Pro
                      Administrator
                      Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 03-08-2021, 03:00 PM.
                      Will
                      Done Deal Pro
                      www.donedealpro.com

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Worth noting that AMC is a big part of the recent "meme stock" craze. Apparently those folks, who skew very young, still believe in the future of the theatrical movie business.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Done Deal Pro View Post

                          I'm not sure if I completely follow your line of questioning or thinking, but I don't think we will really see more "crazy borderline R-rated stuff or Adult Swim content one way or the other. I think mainly streamers, in particular, will look for good, funny stuff whether live-action or animation, that seems relatively fresh with a different spin on things seen in the past. Since sites like Netflix and Hulu are curated content sites, they are surely wanting things that provide entertainment for a large group of viewers or at least a sizeable niche group/market. Netflix and Crunchy Roll have been pushing for some more animation/anime series of late. Maybe look at what they have been setting up to give you some guidance. A good deal of their recent projects seem to fall more into the Science Fiction, Action and/or Fantasy genres.

                          Streamers definitely have less restrictions on them due to no regulations (FCC) and can release more varied, non-restricted type content, of course, where as networks can't.
                          Thanks.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X