X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bono
    replied
    Originally posted by DaltWisney View Post

I've read heavily from it 3 of the past 4 years. Roughly 100-120 scripts in total.

It's a mixture of concept scripts, execution scripts, and scripts that do both very well.

If you define greatness as the ability to generate attention and positive traction for the writer then almost by default all stuff that makes the Black List is great.

If you define greatness in terms of, "Wow, I want to see this!" then it's going to be a smaller percentage.

What I'd say is that, even if the script isn't jaw-dropping on every level, there's almost always something positive you can latch on to (concept, voice, subject matter, etc).

With some of them, you think, 'This is a writing sample.' With others it's, 'This is a movie.'

A killer concept executed to an average pro level seems more likely to end up on screen than the pure voice scripts. Just my opinion based on tracking stuff from there for ~4 years. Of course I'd love to get on there with anything. It means people are responding strongly to your work.

Leave a comment:

• finalact4

• finalact4
    replied
    Originally posted by Bono View Post

CLICK BAIT is a great title for a spec. Click here to find out why....
    ohmygod, CLICK BAIT is a great title.

Leave a comment:

• DaltWisney

• DaltWisney
    replied

My point was simply I would not blanket statement all specs on black list are great.
    I've read heavily from it 3 of the past 4 years. Roughly 100-120 scripts in total.

It's a mixture of concept scripts, execution scripts, and scripts that do both very well.

If you define greatness as the ability to generate attention and positive traction for the writer then almost by default all stuff that makes the Black List is great.

If you define greatness in terms of, "Wow, I want to see this!" then it's going to be a smaller percentage.

What I'd say is that, even if the script isn't jaw-dropping on every level, there's almost always something positive you can latch on to (concept, voice, subject matter, etc).

With some of them, you think, 'This is a writing sample.' With others it's, 'This is a movie.'

A killer concept executed to an average pro level seems more likely to end up on screen than the pure voice scripts. Just my opinion based on tracking stuff from there for ~4 years. Of course I'd love to get on there with anything. It means people are responding strongly to your work.

Leave a comment:

• Bono
    replied
    Originally posted by sc111 View Post

Did the smiley face mean absolutely nothing to you?
    It meant everything!

Leave a comment:

• sc111
    replied

Disagree. What else are we all doing here? Am I the only one that thinks this is what this place is for? Inspiration and information.
    Did the smiley face mean absolutely nothing to you?

Leave a comment:

• Bono
    replied
    Originally posted by sc111 View Post

As for inspiring me, that's not your responsibility, Bono.
    Disagree. What else are we all doing here? Am I the only one that thinks this is what this place is for? Inspiration and information.

Leave a comment:

• sc111
    replied

I feel like I'm trying to inspire and you are looking for scientific proof. I could send you black list specs I didn't love, but I also like many of them. I have not read as many as others... but I read specs that sell for the past 10 years and objectively 50% I tell myself -- Bono you have the same talent as this person. I am talking mostly comedy specs BTW. The other half of specs I cry because they are so good and I wish I wrote it. Those are the best. I prefer to talk about those than things I did not care for.

My point was simply I would not blanket statement all specs on black list are great. All specs that sold are great. But obviously they are not bad... just not as good as maybe the spec sitting on your hard drive.

I would encourage you to submit those specs you are passionate about. What is the worst that happens? Nothing? Nothing was happening with them before... so same result. Give it a shot.
    I think you misunderstood me. I didn't say I "loved" all of the Black List Scripts I read. For example, there were two that were XYZ in space. So concept- wise I wasn't thrilled and I'm figuring there's got to be lots of XYZ in space concepts flying around. However, what I did conclude, the writing was top notch in every script I read. Though I did not read them all.

As for inspiring me, that's not your responsibility, Bono.

Leave a comment:

• Bono
    replied
    Originally posted by Vango View Post

Alright new topic then.

Can you do the SEO for my side hustle business? You're a master of generating click bait.

Lol.
    CLICK BAIT is a great title for a spec. Click here to find out why....

Leave a comment:

• Vango
    replied
    If you think this off base, please do a fun search of old threads -- like 5 out 10 would be LOCKED in 2 hours they got so heated. This is child's play.
    Alright new topic then.

Can you do the SEO for my side hustle business? You're a master of generating click bait.

Lol.

Leave a comment:

• Bono
    replied
    If you think this off base, please do a fun search of old threads -- like 5 out 10 would be LOCKED in 2 hours they got so heated. This is child's play.

Leave a comment:

• Vango
    replied

My last fortune cookie said the same exact thing.
    Bono I think we hijacked this thread and went too far off base. Poster just wanted to know how to query and we came in and dominated. Get it together man lol. Stop making us look bad.

Leave a comment:

• Bono
    replied

I think you already won the fight. What you're experiencing is what you're experiencing and there is validity to it.
    My last fortune cookie said the same exact thing.

Leave a comment:

• Vango
    replied

Well if you are going to be smart in your arguments back to me, then how can I win this fight?

My current experience is rep is out now with my spec and rep got a big producer on board -- and they are trying to get it set up (attach cast / go to buyers) and have not asked me for my input at this stage and guessing they won't at any point. I think that is more the norm than the exception.
    I think you already won the fight. What you're experiencing is what you're experiencing and there is validity to it.

Leave a comment:

• Vango
    replied
    And I think it's important to note that there isn't just one way to do things.

There are writers who win a contest and then a couple years later, they have their own TV show.

There are writers who write a great spec and then get staffed on a show, or they get a small movie assignment, and then build from there.

I have a friend who sold a spec several years ago for mid six figures, and they had a big actor ready to star, and it didn't work, and now he is thinking about buying back the script, because he really wants to get it made and believes that his career can take off from that.

I think each situation is a bit different so really, there are no wrong answers in this thread imo.

Leave a comment:

• Bono
    replied

I'll give an example of how input from the writer is useful. We have the list of directors we started to go to, but then I listened to an interview with another big director. It turns out that this director has roots in Iraq. And there's even history with his family which is related to parts of the script. This director was never mentioned or thought of, and no one realized that connection until I mentioned it, but now we are going to him. So that's what I mean when I say hustle, being aggressive, just staying on top of it. Really doing your best to give your input on decisions that matter, like finding that director to captain a ship.
    Well if you are going to be smart in your arguments back to me, then how can I win this fight? It's awesome you are being listened too. You are lucky. I am jealous. I want to be you when I grow up into a young Brad Pitt. Not gay, but you know -- so hot, I mean just once right?

My current experience is rep is out now with my spec and rep got a big producer on board -- and they are trying to get it set up (attach cast / go to buyers) and have not asked me for my input at this stage and guessing they won't at any point. I think that is more the norm than the exception.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X