Rewrites / Shopping agreement: Will producer always be attached?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Northbank View Post
    but no potential buyer wants other drafts of the script they want to acquire out there, controlled by a previous producer, they want a clean chain of title.
    And how do you cloud a chain of title?

I registered this script 10 years ago with eCo. I checked my Case, and doesn't have any notes about the fact I optioned the script 9 years ago and the option expired.

Granted, there were no rewrites. But do producers add themselves to the Case?

What's the actual form of a chain of title? A print-out from eCo? A copy of all agreements? What?

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
      FWIW, I had a script that sold with a producer attached.
      Just to be clear, I was just offered a shopping agreement, not a sale.

Would I still risk something of the kind?

Even if in the agreement I stipulate that "I retain any/all revisions and notes made/offered (by anybody) during the shopping agreement term upon its expiration"?

Comment

Originally posted by vstm10 View Post

And how do you cloud a chain of title?

I registered this script 10 years ago with eCo. I checked my Case, and doesn't have any notes about the fact I optioned the script 9 years ago and the option expired.

Granted, there were no rewrites. But do producers add themselves to the Case?

What's the actual form of a chain of title? A print-out from eCo? A copy of all agreements? What?

I have no idea what eCo is. Never heard of it.

If you optioned the script 9 years ago and it expired with you doing no rewrites bases on that producers notes, you are fine and have clean chain of title.

Comment

It’s not about law. It’s about practice. I just want to point out that owning a script free and clear doesn’t always stop a prior attachment from coming around with his hand out.

It’s usually okay. But if the question is does a producer stay entangled, the answer isn’t always in the contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Northbank View Post

I have no idea what eCo is. Never heard of it.
            https://www.copyright.gov/registration/

To get started registering your work, log in to the Electronic Copyright Office (eCO) Registration System at the link below or you may learn more about the different types of works typically registered with the U.S. Copyright Office.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
              It’s not about law. It’s about practice. \.
              ah.

I hear you.

Comment

Working...
              X