Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Approach An Actor Without A Rep?

Hey, guys. Looking for some business advice.

I find myself in a somewhat unusual, but probably not uncommon situation. I've recently been working with a well known actor on a film set. We've crossed paths every day for the past couple months, but for the most part we just say hi to each other because I'm typically busy when they're not busy and vice versa, so it's not like we've gotten to know each other particularly well.

That said, this person's really fun to work with. So much so that I'm inclined to work with them again and would like to pass along a script or two to them that I think they'd be good for and might have some interest in as well based on their quirky personality that I've picked up on that matches my personality and writing style.

My conundrum is I'm opposed to the idea of broaching this type of matter with an actor while working on set as a code of professional conduct, and I'm skeptical that I'd get to chat them up about it off the clock before they head home when the show wraps.

So, my question is what is the proper way to go about accomplishing the goal of getting my work in front of this actor without a rep to do it for me?

Is it acceptable for me to personally call / email their reps and explain my connection to their client and pitch the rep, or is that also bad form? Seems potentially iffy to me, but maybe I'm wrong.

They also have their own production company that I think they recently started. Would that be a better bet?

Any advice would be helpful.
    Last edited by Prezzy; 07-10-2021, 08:31 PM.

Approaching them on set to read a script, even as they’re getting ready to leave, is a great way to get fired. I’ve seen it happen on plenty of sets. If they have a production company, you query that company with your best script for the actor. You can reference in the email that you are working with or have worked with the actor in the past. If the opportunity arises where this actor initiates conversation with you beyond “Hi, how you doing?”, you can casually mention you just queried their production company. But carefully. There’s always a risk this backfires. Professionalism needs to be at the forefront.

Comment

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
      Approaching them on set to read a script, even as they’re getting ready to leave, is a great way to get fired. I’ve seen it happen on plenty of sets. If they have a production company, you query that company with your best script for the actor. You can reference in the email that you are working with or have worked with the actor in the past. If the opportunity arises where this actor initiates conversation with you beyond “Hi, how you doing?”, you can casually mention you just queried their production company. But carefully. There’s always a risk this backfires. Professionalism needs to be at the forefront.
      Yes. Exactly. Pitching an actor during production is madness, and it's beyond me that anyone would actually do such a thing. You both have your own things to worry about on set, so it's not like it'd likely go over well even if it wasn't already wildly unprofessional. Also, the talent pool for crew in any given area is relatively small, so it's best to not give yourself that reputation if you want to get future work.

I should have been clear that by "off the clock before they head home when the show wraps", I literally meant at the wrap party before they fly home when the movie is already donezo where something like that could organically come up in a casual conversation while you're just shooting the sh*t. Don't think a wrap party is happening for this one, and actors showing up to them is typically hit or miss from my experience anyway.

So, yeah, verdict seems to be target the prodco and not the reps.

Comment

Working...
      X