No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colour of query letters, one-sheet and pilot

-----
    Last edited by Otuken; 04-08-2022, 05:49 AM.

These days, a query is an email, and it ought to be brief. First things first: polish a logline; write or polish a script; query.

Such frippery as other-than-white pages or title page designs on a script used to be a visual cue not to read a script. It was considered the hallmark of the amateur screenwriter. It may yet be so.

Better to spend time polishing your script’s story execution than to worry about using off-colors for printing your pages. If your script does not “play” well (id est, “read” well) to a reader, the color of its pages will not matter.
    Last edited by Clint Hill; 07-22-2021, 04:34 AM.
    “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

----

Comment

Attribution is ordinarily given when using a quote. Also, one pair of quotation marks is enough.

If you believe your logline to be ready, send out your logline by email query to prospective producers and managers. Enter your script in contests. Market your script while you write another screenplay story.
        “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

I honestly don’t know how you’d use a one sheet as a writer trying to get a script read.

Comment

Let me note a few things that might help clarify this thread and your other threads here and here. Granted terms can cross over and mean different things to different people not only in this business but many others. Thus, it can get a little confusing.

Over the last 30 plus years, I've always known and heard a movie poster to be referred to as a "one sheet." That's it. They go in the lobbies of movie theaters or on people's bedroom and/or office walls. So any time I hear or see that term, I think (visual) poster.

Now that said, clearly others not only in film but in business in general use the term "one-sheet" to refer to a page one document of text which describes a series or movie. I've always referred to those or heard them referred to as "one-pagers." Maybe, that's just me. But do be careful and clear about it and make sure everyone is on the same page so you don't send the "wrong" thing. You seem to be using the term "one sheet" a bit loosely. In one thread, it sounds like you are talking about one page write up and in this thread you seem to be referring to it as a poster. It's a little unclear to me at least.

First things first, though. White is your background. That's it. The "white" of the background in your email program or say online via Gmail. Use that. Don't mess with it. If you are sending out a PDF, then it's the "white" that Final Draft, Fade In, Word, etc. and thus Adobe Acrobat reader uses. Nothing else. Don't change it. Keep it simple and don't over think all this.

Second, if by "one sheet" you mean an actual poster for your TV show or movie, pretty much skip that. Even if you are great graphic designer, don't do it. Not your job. Writing, words & storytelling are all you should be focused on. To be fair though, I have created "fake" posters for some of my ideas to A) avoid writing, B) to show to a very select group of friends if the topic even comes up and C) as an occasional reminder to myself of what I have in mind.( I'm very visually driven so it helps for me to see an image to push me along or get me in the right frame of mind to write.)

But, if you are actually just talking about a one page document of text, then don't worry about all this "visually stimulating" stuff. I don't even really get why people would suggest that for the most part. I've written up single page documents/one pagers for pitches. Recently, I did quite a few for an actor I know who pitched them at a well know cable network for him to star in and us to produce. It was text only. That's all that mattered. They want a story they like or are interested in. Nothing else. They have teams of people who will create posters, marketing material, etc. Pros who have been doing this for years. You write, they market.

I've seen various things (trailers, posters, images, etc.) sent to me in query letters. I pretty much ignore 99% of it. I will read the script. If it's good, then great. If not, none of the other stuff matters.

If you are trying to reach out to financiers, then it's a different of a story. In that case, you would/could surely create a nice pitch deck with text, images, casting possibilities, projected success based on similar films or shows, comps (comparables) to your project -- It's this meets that or It's in the vein of _______." And so on.) That's where you can work a lot of "visually stimulating" magic, so to speak. You are trying to make it as easy as possible for non-creative money people to see your vision, which can be very important to getting the money.

There are a number of suggestions out there on how to do a one sheet/one pager text document and what to include. I would suggest going with the basics. Title. Written by. Logline. Then a few paragraphs describing your story or show. I wouldn't even send this unless it was requested; but not a bad thing to have in your back pocket and ready to go. The script is the final word. That is all that really matters.

Granted there can and will be varying opinions to what I have noted above; and by no means do I want to confuse the situation for you. But I hope some of what I noted can help, at least.
            Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 07-23-2021, 07:21 AM.
            Will
            Done Deal Pro
            www.donedealpro.com

Comment

-----

Comment

Most likely no one will ever care or even notice if it's subtle enough. People aren't sitting around their offices with spectrometers or spot meters looking to measure the intensity of the white background of an email or PDF. If it makes you feel better, then knock yourself out. I'm just saying the hex code for the white of your background is the least important thing on the planet at this point, and surely always will be unless you are a interior designer, fashion designer or photographer.

For a one page documents or even with the thousands upon thousands of scripts I've read and covered over the years, the "white" of the background page has never been a concern or problem for me. I can't imagine it as for anyone else either. Never heard anyone mention it.

Same with fonts. You like that font? Use it. Nothing wrong with Arial. But I would keep it all pretty basic, and put your focus on so many other things. Keep it easy & clear to read, but most importantly make it a great read (in terms of story).

Don't write a series bible. It's a lot of work. Let them pay you for that, if they even care enough to ask. Write a pilot script, and create a companion document with say the first season laid out to show that it can at least last that long. I wouldn't even send that unless that ask in most cases. The pilot alone should do the trick for now. If it's doesn't really work, none of this other stuff matters.
                Will
                Done Deal Pro
                www.donedealpro.com

Comment

-----

Comment

Don't put a poster on the back. Skip it. In a Word doc file, put the Title, Written By, a Logline, and a Short Synopsis that creates/fills out the one page PDF document. You will almost certainly send anything like this, as I have and many, many others have, in an email. That's it.

I wouldn't even generally suggest an amazing graphic artists do a poster, but at least then an individual like that could probably create something fairly impressive. Most screenwriters I've ever seen try to create a cover/poster (for something they have written) have turned out terrible and it works against their material. It causes me to lose some faith in their creative judgement, to be honest, before I even read anything. Less truly can be more. Don't give people any extra reasons to say, pass.

Maybe some others will offer some different advice, so do with the above what you will.
                    Will
                    Done Deal Pro
                    www.donedealpro.com

Comment

-----

Comment

If this is for a pilot, I'd say just do a synopsis for the pilot episode. The pilot should inherently "suggest" a series. If it's not doing that, then there are bigger issues.

Now, you could, particularly if your few paragraph synopsis doesn't take up the whole page, add a little paragraph giving a suggested overall view to what they series will be like and about. Maybe three or four sentences that nicely sum up what will be going on. As for the first season, personally, I'd suggest using a separate document to map out the episodes.

But I think most folks are generally looking for a one-pager to have a synopsis which specifically covers what takes place in the one script it is related to.

Again, others might do something a little different. But I think you'd be fairly safe to do the above and it shouldn't cause any problems. You can also ask someone if they request to read it, what they might like to look at or not. Have again a few things prepared. Might take a little time to prep a document for a first season breaking down each episode, but it could be worth it to have done and ready to go.
                        Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 07-22-2021, 10:46 AM.
                        Will
                        Done Deal Pro
                        www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Working...
                        X