Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In a bind on a writing credit, pls advise

Wrote a script that has a director and financing attached. In a pending announcement, producers are pushing for me to share writing credit with another producer (who’s also a WGA writer) to help with attracting talent and key dept heads. Our contract stipulates that I’m to receive “written by” credit and the producer a “produced by” credit.

What the heck should I do?

On one hand, I’m just starting out and this helps me either way. I’m also the easiest to throw overboard should push come to shove (heck, my replacement’s already on the project). On the other hand, I absolutely wrote it. I can stick to my guns and say a deal’s a deal. I mean, the money’s already there (at least a chunk of it, anyway).

Help! Would love some advice.

Thanks!

-Irwin P.
    Last edited by irwinpfletcher; 08-01-2021, 04:33 PM.

Is it just for the announcement or are they asking you to put the other name on the script? If it’s just the announcement it doesn’t affect your ultimate credit.

is this a WGA project? There are a lot of different ways it plays out depending.

Comment

JeffLowell It’s just an announcement, far as I know. But not sure the logic changes when the script goes out to actors, ya know? And it’s a non-WGA project.Thanks for the response!

Comment

Don't let them get away with that nonsense.

I’m also the easiest to throw overboard should push come to shove (heck, my replacement’s already on the project).
        Not doing yourself any favors thinking this way. You're the writer. Do you believe in what you wrote? Stand up for it and you'll command a lot more respect.

Comment

Jimmy Thanks, man. I believe in it but I certainly don’t own it. It was written on spec. If I had more of a track record, the threat of me walking would amount to something. As it is now, not sure it does.

Comment

If you're contractually obligated to receive sole "written by" credit, I'd ask for clarification. (The guarantee is for "sole," right? If not, since it's not WGA, they can put whatever name they want.) I'd say that while I'm obviously not comfortable changing our agreement and sharing on screen credit, if they think it'll help to say Writer B is writing on the project as well in an announcement, you obviously want the movie made and are happy to be a team player.

Although, to be honest, unless this other writer is Aaron Sorkin, I can't imagine actors caring about his name in an announcement. And the thought that crew will care is nuts. It makes me a little suspicious that they're using those arguments, which don't make sense.

Comment

You're a shrewd man, JeffLowell . Yes, the argument is suspicious. But Producer A -- the one who issued the contract, owns the draft, and controls the life rights -- doesn't know what he doesn't know. And the EP -- the one with the financing and track record, who makes the whole thing go -- operates at a diff altitude. I don't want to bring him my mess, especially when he has multiple projects w/Producer A. So... it's quite the s*** sandwich.

At least, that's how I'm seeing it. I opted to bless the announcement. If I'm able to land representation, I can let them fight over what's in the contract (assuming it even gets to that point ?). Sure they'd love the commission.

Thanks again!
              Last edited by irwinpfletcher; 08-02-2021, 11:19 AM.

Comment

How can a WGA writer claim credit on a non-WGA project without getting in a whole mess of trouble with the guild?

Comment

Jeff is correct. Unless your contract was for “sole writing credit”, they get to put anyone on there they want. The WGA thing is where it gets sticky. If it becomes a WGA project, then it automatically goes to arbitration. But no matter. They aren’t asking for your permission to do this right now. They were basically telling you. This is screenwriting. If you put up a stink and get emotional, they’ll do it anyway, but jettison you. You swallow your pride, say ok, I get it, and stay involved. I know this is tough, but single credit this day and age is not the norm. Shared credit is still a credit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell McLean View Post
                    How can a WGA writer claim credit on a non-WGA project without getting in a whole mess of trouble with the guild?
                    A press release can say whatever. If the film wants to hire the WGA member to be a writer, they need to become a signatory production.

Comment

Working...
                    X