Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mark Somers View Post
    Ed, is "Orphans" also known as "Extracurricular Activities"?

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
      Awesome! BTW, Ed Fury (the bodybuilder I googled it? or some movie reference I'm missing or both)) -- is Orphans like anything else you've written since? I believe a lot of what you've written since is the exact opposite of that, no? Hallmark family movies! So that's even funnier to me and awesome!

I recall going to a WGA event with Wes Craven and him basically saying he doesn't even like horror and never set out to do it. And that is even more fascinating to me.

It's amazing how the same writer can write G rated comedies and R rated comedies. Or horror movies and children's book.

Comment

Writers can write a lot of different stuff, if they let us... Love horror. Can you tell us anything about it? If it's The Ring, Nightmare on Elm Street, Hocus Pocus or Fright Night type of horror movie?

Comment

To me, "Orphans" is a much darker title for that movie. And I can imagine that title in ones mind while writing the original movie.

Thanks
          Until I can find a quote from Pope Francis regarding one licking one's butt in the Vatican I'll post this:
          Halloween Writing Contest 2021.
          Halloween contest 2021 - Done Deal Pro

Comment

I could very easily be wrong but I don't think Talbott or Spellman got any comedy work from "Balls Out". Tim wrote "Stanford Prison Experiment" and Malcolm started writing on the TV series "Empire". They did write "The Whale" and Malcolm wrote the pilot "Asshole Ninja" with Todd Karate. Jeff you're not Todd Karate are you?

And Tim wrote "Fuel-Injected Dreams" A very kickass psychological thriller.

And by the way "The Whale" has the best drunk car race ever.
            Until I can find a quote from Pope Francis regarding one licking one's butt in the Vatican I'll post this:

Comment

Like if I made a comedy version of say Jaws. And they finally decide to remake Jaws. Is my comedy shark spec a bad idea to write? I have not written it yet. Part of me thinks it MAY HELP. If I write it quick enough.
              If Sharknado came out as the same time as a reboot of a serious Jaws, I don't think it would hurt it. Different genres really don't cannibalize each other.

Comment

Jeff you're not Todd Karate are you?
                I'm not. I only write under a pen name here.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post

If Sharknado came out as the same time as a reboot of a serious Jaws, I don't think it would hurt it. Different genres really don't cannibalize each other.
                  Oh so you have read my work!

Well I did NOT sell my first comedy spec because it was too close to The Bucket List, but that was also a pro reason people almost bought it. So I never know how Hollywood will react.

They might be, well we have enough movies about this specific job. Next!

Say you wrote a Top Gun comedy, but then Top Gun 2 was announced, does it not matter or would it be like well you had a cool idea, but you're going to have the same shots as that movie basically so it's over.

Also, I don't know for sure if they are keeping the genre. They could also decide to turn it into a comedy. But highly unlikely.

I would spell it it our more in DM (or as Centos knows it as Private Messages! -- callback to another thread!!!)

Comment

Diablo Cody had a blog about her experiences as a stripper that was an amazing read. A producer said "you should write scripts," and they worked together on Juno. (Another point of information for those who say "never develop with a producer, FWIW.)
                    She also published a memoir about her stripper experiences (before Juno) that I read and it's an awesome read. She has a voice, and her stories were hilarious. I think her best movie is Young Adult. I've read the script many times. Her stuff doesn't always work for me (Rikki and the Flash - no thanks). But when it does, it fires on all cylinders.

I believe you're trying to overthink this. If you have an idea that you love and excites you, you should write it. I don't think anyone sits down and says "I want to come up with an unshootable script that will be a conversation starter."
                    The only script I can think of where they may have done that is Balls Out.

Comment

Bono, "Hot Shots" is the "Top Gun" comedy. How about a parody of "The China Syndrome" or "Casa Blanca"?

Comment

Bono, "Hot Shots" is the "Top Gun" comedy. How about a parody of "The China Syndrome" or "Casa Blanca"?
                        I know! Just an example of what I'm working on...

Comment

Or how about a parody of "Glengarry Glen Ross".

Comment

To me, "Orphans" is a much darker title for that movie. And I can imagine that title in ones mind while writing the original movie.

Thanks

Comment

Writers can write a lot of different stuff, if they let us... Love horror. Can you tell us anything about it? If it's The Ring, Nightmare on Elm Street, Hocus Pocus or Fright Night type of horror movie?

Comment

I would spell it it our more in DM (or as Centos knows it as Private Messages! -- callback to another thread!!!)

Comment

Working...
                                X