Write a story based on IP that appears stuck in dev, or just move on?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Write a story based on IP that appears stuck in dev, or just move on?

I found a real life story I absolutely love and want to write, but according to IMDb Pro there is one film and one TV series in development based on the same IP. Both have named attachments, but trade announcements are five (film) and almost 10 (series) years old, with no news since.

Should I say "Screw it" and move on, or try to succeed where others have failed? My instinct would be the former, yet someone got traction with a film version years after the series apparently fizzled, so maybe I'm wrong.

What does the wisdom of DD recommend? And what are ways I might signal something is a fresh take on a "known" IP other than playing w/format?

Thanks!

- Irwin P

When you say IP do you just mean a true story about famous people?

Anyway, what does IMDBPro say about development? Anything? Has anything changed in the last five years that would make this more viable now?

Comment

It's a true story about a high profile criminal investigation in the 80s. The series is based off the book and the film is based off the primary figure's life rights, so there is IP but not in the exclusionary sense.

Point ceded on IMDb Pro. All I'm saying is no activity since the projects were announced in the trades means they've mayyyybe lost steam. ??‍♂️

To me, what makes the story more viable now is the political and cultural environment we're in. A lot's changed since those scripts were penned, and what was once a heralded investigation with questionable tactics would now be viewed as a comical misappropriation of government resources.

Comment

Can you find out if the book rights are available? That’ll confirm if the series development is dead or not. And even if you can’t afford them yourself, if they’re available and you can work fast, a prod co or producer may be willing to pick up those rights after the fact.

Comment

Originally posted by JS90 View Post
          And even if you can’t afford them yourself, if they’re available and you can work fast, a prod co or producer may be willing to pick up those rights after the fact.
          Sounds like you are suggesting that irwin write a script based on IP to which they do not control the rights. irwin, do not do this. Just don't.

As for whether it's still a viable idea given it has been in development, it's the "Both have named attachments, but trade announcements" bit that could be the reason not to pursue this. So they didn't get made, fine, but any producer considering this will see the trade announcements, see the big name attachments and think "we'll if those big names couldn't get it made..." and very likely pass.

Comment

I'm always on team steal from real life, but make your own story. So if you want to write a Steve Jobs movie create you own fake Apple and fake leader. But that's just me.

Unless a big studio or producer has the rights and is PAYING me to do it, I don't see the benefit of doing IP. It seems like all risk if you don't own the rights.

Comment

Originally posted by Northbank View Post

Sounds like you are suggesting that irwin write a script based on IP to which they do not control the rights. irwin, do not do this. Just don't.
              Based on Irwin’s description, it sounds like a non-fiction story based on public events that wouldn’t necessarily require IP to write but that IP currently exists around.

If you can piece together the info you need on this investigation from articles, news stories, court and FIA documents, and even your own interviews, I say go ahead and write it.

If a prod-co likes it and the book rights are available they may want to option it and fold your script into that IP. My company has done that before.

But broadly speaking I of course agree - don’t adapt specific material you don’t have the rights to. And if for some reason this one book series is the only source of information on this investigation than yes, stay away.

Comment

Agree with every word js90 says. If you're drawing all your research from a magazine article or a book that you don't have the rights to, you might be making the script a very hard sell.

Comment

This is really great insight JS90 and JeffLowell (as always). You're absolutely correct: It's a public story that was widely covered (60-Minutes, book, news articles), so there are plenty of sources to draw from. I believe I can also get to some people who were intimately involved. Sufficed it to say, I won't be relying on a single piece of IP controlled by someone else.

Thanks for the advice and comments everyone! Love this community.

Comment

Speaking of IP and (my calling card thread) -- was listening to a manager talk about a spec that did really well for his client and it was a Robin Hood spec where the Robin Hood was the good guy at night also the Sheriff during the day. And he talked about FREE IP.

So that got me thinking. What else is free IP that maybe we can think of a new take on as they do seem to love IP....

FREE IP

Peter Pan?
                    Frankenstein?

Comment

If you can do it from multiple sources, do it. Like if it’s a fact, you can write it. I’ve done that several times with lawyer approval.

I just can’t imagine spending time on this when two projects with big names involved haven’t been able to push it forward.

Comment

Satriales , yeah, it’s somewhat daunting. I’m curious if you think a loosely “Based on” version of the story would still be viable. Ya know, follow the basic premise but maybe change the names, locale, and contemporize it a bit.

Or, would the mere mention of the subject harken memories to similar stalled projects??

Comment

Originally posted by irwinpfletcher View Post
                          Satriales , yeah, it’s somewhat daunting. I’m curious if you think a loosely “Based on” version of the story would still be viable. Ya know, follow the basic premise but maybe change the names, locale, and contemporize it a bit.

Or, would the mere mention of the subject harken memories to similar stalled projects??
                          tough to say without knowing what the story is.

My question would be - why do you have to write this? Is it that compelling of an idea that you would want to waste your time duplicating stuff that is already out there?

Knowing nothing, I’d just write the story using your own cobbled together IP. I’ve done it several times.

Comment

Satriales wrote:
                            ”Why do you have to write this? Is it that compelling of a story?”
                            It’s just a great story with a topical premise, with all the major beats and character arcs built in — at least as I see it. I’m also in a bit of a rush as my current project was recently announced on Deadline and people are asking to see what’s next. What I’ve got in the desk drawer is crap written by a much different (and less skilled) writer. I could crank this out roughly by the time my current gig wraps and hopefully capitalize on a little bit of heat.

Comment

Originally posted by irwinpfletcher View Post
                              Satriales wrote:

It’s just a great story with a topical premise, with all the major beats and character arcs built in — at least as I see it. I’m also in a bit of a rush as my current project was recently announced on Deadline and people are asking to see what’s next. What I’ve got in the desk drawer is crap written by a much different (and less skilled) writer. I could crank this out roughly by the time my current gig wraps and hopefully capitalize on a little bit of heat.
                              If you’ve got a project announced can you get your reps (if you have them) to gauge interest from producers who are fans? And also maybe find out why the other stuff is dead.

Comment

Working...
                              X