Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 What Did You Get Done For Your Career? POSITIVE STUFF ONLY

Let's try a happier topic. What did you get done in 2021 that was POSITIVE for your career. Or if you helped out a friend or they had success.

I wrote a new spec. I queried the hell out of it for 4 months. And in mid Nov found a former manager at a big comedy firm / turned producer that told me he loved the spec and wants to get it made. He is looking for his own comeback and we have bonded crazy quickly as people as well. Been polishing it up and hope to take it out in early 2022. He's got a list of producers he wants to show this too and since he's older his contacts are more the decision makers, so I love that. Get into into the hands of the people who can really says Yes or No.

Originally posted by Bono View Post
    Let's try a happier topic. What did you get done in 2021 that was POSITIVE for your career. Or if you helped out a friend or they had success.

I wrote a new spec. I queried the hell out of it for 4 months. And in mid Nov found a former manager at a big comedy firm / turned producer that told me he loved the spec and wants to get it made. He is looking for his own comeback and we have bonded crazy quickly as people as well. Been polishing it up and hope to take it out in early 2022. He's got a list of producers he wants to show this too and since he's older his contacts are more the decision makers, so I love that. Get into into the hands of the people who can really says Yes or No.
    Congrats Bono. 4 months of queries… you are determination personified. Captured a connected advocate; well done!

In 2021 I signed with a Lit Agent at Top 3 firm. He agreed to rep a 2nd book —a how-to book-after the bio. Then got me interview to author bio on MMM mega-star. I got the gig. 3 in 2021. Agent has entertainment attorney colleague for book-to-film deals.

Got offers from 2 bad-azz mini series-docuseries directors/producer to adapt that first book. We see what happens. One of them also interested in broadcasting property for tech giant as an original audio series.

Have offer for another mini series-docuseries-by another established director— not based on a book, but rather a Hollywood icon. I’m partnered with an immediate family member. Shout out to Finalact4 who hooked me up with an entertainment attorney who took it on % basis. Thanks a ton!!!! So helpful and considerate. All 3 players have multiple projects airing on HBO Max and/or ShowTime and/or Netflix.

In discussions to turn MMA mega-star bio into miniseries docuseries, or scripted series/feature. Compelling story.

I have two other mini series docuseries project. These both involve African American pioneers who overcame long odds to reach the pinnacle in their high-profile fields. I got life rights and subject involved on both. Strong interest to my queries that I just ramped up.

The key was just being fortunate, and cracking the code to bypassing the Hollywood gatekeepers.

No agent. But super-grateful for 2021. DD gave terrific advice along the way. Thank y’all!!
    Last edited by Jazzed; 12-29-2021, 04:16 PM.

Comment

The Jazz Man is on fire! Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
        The Jazz Man is on fire! Nice!
        Thanks Bono. I’ve been swinging for the fences for many many many moons. No dice. So went back to basics. It was the only path that got me in as a producer on upcoming 2022 film. I decided to create the IP that gets me a seat at the table, agent or no agent. Exploiting a niche? Sure. But nothing comes EZ in Hollywood, so I had to roll up my sleeves and learn those alternative universes first—book and mini series—in order to get the combination to the gates. Once you secure the rights to the IP you’re in business. created, you have ammo when knocking on doors. Ears/doors open to compelling IP, which create options for your Writing: IP as a feature. A play. A revue. A scripted series.

DD universe—I’m open to partnering on one of these properties. Why? Cuzz I’ve got a cache of these. I know the blue print. Perhaps your skillset and/or connections will compliment mine.

Comment

I celebrated 1 year with our local writing group (I was an founding member last November) and the success of nearly fortnightly table reads provided me with the impetuous to "finish" something. Between the group and a local body promoting filming TV and movies in my area we're now breaking down one of my scripts for low budget filming. Planning a zoom meeting in the second week of January to start talking funding, crewing and casting to see what resources we can pull together and make things happen.

I shared a TV pilot with a DD member who has given me insights as to how to improve the script.

And I have worked on many of 80 odd ideas, stories and concepts throughout the year. 🙄
          I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

You go Southern!!!!

Comment

Scored a couple 8s on the Black List site with my latest pilot, which also generated some momentary interest from a producer team. Advanced to the semis at Austin for the first time with same, which got a few manager reads

Comment

Moved 2300 miles out of California to Nashville. Had two new films release on Amazon Prime, one shot in 2020, one in 2021. Wrote one spec. Optioned another. Had two good assignment jobs. Spoke, taught, and paneled at a bunch of film festivals and writers conferences. Am adapting a novel for a streamer now. Moving had zero effect on work. I’m thankful for that.

Comment

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
                  Moved 2300 miles out of California to Nashville. Had two new films release on Amazon Prime, one shot in 2020, one in 2021. Wrote one spec. Optioned another. Had two good assignment jobs. Spoke, taught, and paneled at a bunch of film festivals and writers conferences. Am adapting a novel for a streamer now. Moving had zero effect on work. I’m thankful for that.
                  Congrats on a good year!
                  I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post

Congrats on a good year!
                    Thank you. 🙏

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
                      Scored a couple 8s on the Black List site with my latest pilot, which also generated some momentary interest from a producer team. Advanced to the semis at Austin for the first time with same, which got a few manager reads
                      Hi Joe! Yer swimming with top tier, so damned good work! Congratulations. Hey… and Austin is the real deal! Exciting creating n scoring with a pilot. Cool!

Comment

Hi EdFury. Furious and dynamic activity. Tip my hat for sure. Marvelous. Two Prime releases. 🔥. And cooking more up! Impressive roll. Dunno if that’s just how you roll or busted out. Either way… big respect your way. With adaptation speaks to enhanced skill set. Obviously operating at high level.

Interesting and insightful that move was seem less.
                        Soeaking, teaching, and paneling tells the tale. Giving back and paying it forward. DD seriously rocks. Congrats. I’ll peek around. Jazzed to view your art.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzed View Post
                          Hi EdFury. Furious and dynamic activity. Tip my hat for sure. Marvelous. Two Prime releases. 🔥. And cooking more up! Impressive roll. Dunno if that’s just how you roll or busted out. Either way… big respect your way. With adaptation speaks to enhanced skill set. Obviously operating at high level.

Interesting and insightful that move was seem less.
                          Soeaking, teaching, and paneling tells the tale. Giving back and paying it forward. DD seriously rocks. Congrats. I’ll peek around. Jazzed to view your art.

Watch “Extracurricular Activities” on Amazon Prime. It’s one of my specs… and thanks.

Comment

Watch “Extracurricular Activities” on Amazon Prime. It’s one of my specs… and thanks.
                            Looks like A-Prime has regions, not on NZ Amazon prime
                            I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

EdFury. You are a: Modest n humble DD bad-azz. I read an article on just a sliver of yer vast exploits. 14 produced films at like 2 per year pace. Good gravy… my granny joined the navy!!!!!

Props on top of props my good fellow.

Your interviews were spot on and to the point. Loved the lowdown on how nobody just walks in and pulls off a tent pole blockbuster or huge feature. One in a zillion. It’s a work/your-way-up-the-ladder process. Project budgets grow incrementally, until someone trusts to give that shot at major property.

So, while pie-in-the-sky ambitions are charming, reality rules the roost. Very shrewd approach you adopted and executed. And the kicker was you started after age 40.

DD harbors some writers in here that are real-life David’s doing real-time battle with Goliaths… and their slings are on target.

Gotta love it.

Comment

Working...
                              X