Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jazzed View Post
    EdFury. You are a: Modest n humble DD bad-azz. I read an article on just a sliver of yer vast exploits. 14 produced films at like 2 per year pace. Good gravy… my granny joined the navy!!!!!

Props on top of props my good fellow.

Your interviews were spot on and to the point. Loved the lowdown on how nobody just walks in and pulls off a tent pole blockbuster or huge feature. One in a zillion. It’s a work/your-way-up-the-ladder process. Project budgets grow incrementally, until someone trusts to give that shot at major property.

So, while pie-in-the-sky ambitions are charming, reality rules the roost. Very shrewd approach you adopted and executed. And the kicker was you started after age 40.

DD harbors some writers in here that are real-life David’s doing real-time battle with Goliaths… and their slings are on target.

Gotta love it.

Wow. Thanks. It's been a climb. You need to be methodical, logical, and not give up... plus have a good knowledge of the craft. It's not been easy. But I've been very very fortunate and had some wonderful people help light the way for me. I appreciate the kind words.

Comment

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
      Moved 2300 miles out of California to Nashville. Had two new films release on Amazon Prime, one shot in 2020, one in 2021. Wrote one spec. Optioned another. Had two good assignment jobs. Spoke, taught, and paneled at a bunch of film festivals and writers conferences. Am adapting a novel for a streamer now. Moving had zero effect on work. I’m thankful for that.
      Great job. And I got to read one of your new specs and it was great! I hope that is going to do well for you soon.

Also always happy to hear when people have success outside of CA. I think one of the only good things about this pandemic has been to show Hollywood that talent doesn't have to be sitting in front of you with a water bottle to do the job. Especially for writers who spend 99% of their time by themselves anyway.

I'm on the east coast and working with LA producers. They never said "you don't live here?" once in our conversations. We've had like 3 Zoom meetings and it was more intimate than most meetings I've had in person. So it really is all relative.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post

Great job. And I got to read one of your new specs and it was great! I hope that is going to do well for you soon.

Also always happy to hear when people have success outside of CA. I think one of the only good things about this pandemic has been to show Hollywood that talent doesn't have to be sitting in front of you with a water bottle to do the job. Especially for writers who spend 99% of their time by themselves anyway.

I'm on the east coast and working with LA producers. They never said "you don't live here?" once in our conversations. We've had like 3 Zoom meetings and it was more intimate than most meetings I've had in person. So it really is all relative.
        I'm really happy for you that you’re getting meetings. I wish you nothing but complete success.

Comment

Well, I spent two months in January-February writing a period drama that did absolutely nothing for me. As soon as I finished it, I had this other idea for a horror type thing and jumped right into that with a second wind of energy. Cranked it out in about 5-6 weeks. That script wound up getting my first Black List 8 and peaking around the top 15 of all features on the site. I got a bunch of downloads, a meeting with a producer, and an inquiry from a director who just had a movie come out on streaming during the holidays. I don't think anything is going to happen with this project, but it's nice to get some validation after some lean years. I find that progress isn't always straight line, and sometimes I have to take a step or two off the trail before the next breakthrough.

Comment

I started last year in a bit of a funk career-wise but kept on banging on doors trying to get the work out there. I ended the year with four tv projects optioned and a feature (that had died a horrible development death 5 years ago) suddenly coming to life again with an independent studio, a producer and a director all jumping onboard. It’s due to start shooting (fingers crossed) in July of '22. The year ended on a surprise note too when a tv script i’d written landed on the UK's Brit List which has lead to some cool meetings. All in all, I feel very lucky. It really is a constant grind this gig, isn’t it?!
            Last edited by Mintclub; 01-09-2022, 01:19 PM.

Comment

So very rewarding DaltWisney. Kicked ass on The Black, and got noticed by real players in real time. That’s all it takes. The right combination of your script and a creative player. So 2021 greased the skids for a potent 2022! Best wishes going onward n upward Wisney!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mintclub View Post
                I started last year in a bit of a funk career-wise but kept on banging on doors trying to get the work out there. I ended the year with four tv projects optioned and a feature (that had died a horrible development death 5 years ago) suddenly coming to life again with an independent studio, a producer and a director all jumping onboard. It’s due to start shooting (fingers crossed) in July of '22. The year ended on a surprise note too when a tv script i’d written landed on the UK's Brit List which has lead to some cool meetings. All in all, I feel very lucky. It really is a constant grind this gig, isn’t it?!
                Mintclub is in the pink; smoked 2021. Congrats. Option-city. Four projects is terrific, whether it’s tv, features, or tiddlywinks. Well done. The Brit hustle as well. No stone unturned. Awesome. Hope everything blooms for ya!!

Comment

Originally posted by DaltWisney View Post
                  Well, I spent two months in January-February writing a period drama that did absolutely nothing for me. As soon as I finished it, I had this other idea for a horror type thing and jumped right into that with a second wind of energy. Cranked it out in about 5-6 weeks. That script wound up getting my first Black List 8 and peaking around the top 15 of all features on the site. I got a bunch of downloads, a meeting with a producer, and an inquiry from a director who just had a movie come out on streaming during the holidays. I don't think anything is going to happen with this project, but it's nice to get some validation after some lean years. I find that progress isn't always straight line, and sometimes I have to take a step or two off the trail before the next breakthrough.

You are exactly right. One thing leads to something else. That producer or that director may come across a script they think you’d be the one to rewrite. Or they’ll give that horror script to another producer and that’s who will run with it and so on and so on… my career is based on stuff like this. I’m happy to see the forward motion. It can be slow, but it’s still forward. Don’t give up.

Comment

Congrats to all the success and positive developments everyone had last year - and more to come this year for ALL OF US, I am sure.

My 2021 -

Hired to write pilot and first episode of TV series.
                    Wrote two new TV specs (currently out to companies via my manager)
                    Got director and actor attached to feature which is currently into studios

All in all - a great year!!

Comment

Originally posted by grumpywriter View Post
                      Congrats to all the success and positive developments everyone had last year - and more to come this year for ALL OF US, I am sure.

My 2021 -

Hired to write pilot and first episode of TV series.
                      Wrote two new TV specs (currently out to companies via my manager)
                      Got director and actor attached to feature which is currently into studios

All in all - a great year!!
                      grumpywriter. Tremendous flow you have going on. Clearly in the game; in the mix! Exciting times for ya. Congratulations grumpywriter. Nice having your fingers in tv and feature pies. Bad-azz. Yahoo.

Comment

Working...
                      X