Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just meant it won't last long enough for them to panic to want to buy any of my crappy specs.

Comment

This might be a good time to get cracking on a short story. All those people with nothing to read in HW might be prowling for other source material, you never know!

Comment

Seems like a good time to query. But also people were saying be better if no writer does anything with any spec or writing during this time even with reps. But seems unfair to the unrepped writers who may have more of a chance to get read if this last a few months...

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
          people were saying be better if no writer does anything with any spec or writing during this time even with reps.
          This is ridiculous and far beyond the scope of the strike or the jurisdiction of the WGA. Go ahead and query reps, just not producers/studios/networks etc.

Comment

Most producers aren't signatories - they work for studios like writers.

Comment

Technically, but the WGA sure does frown upon it. If you are non-WGA with a rep, that rep will not be sending the script out to producers. My recollection is that they didn't in '07.

Comment

If you're a guild writer working on a project, you absolutely shouldn't be writing and working with the producer.

If you're a non guild writer who's working with a non-signatory producer to get a spec ready to go sell after the strike, I can't see how that's a violation of anything.

Comment

It makes sense both ways. Not wrong but also maybe less helpful to have writers like me trying to move career forward while pros stop theirs. But I wonder what reps do during this time besides catch up on reading? Cry?

Comment

It's a mess. The WGA struck company list doesn't even have Netflix or Hulu on it and they are buyers. It doesn't have big mainstream producers on it like Bad Robot. Lots of big companies use holding companies for deal purposes so how is a non-WGA writer to know that Netflix is Storybuilders LLC and is struck? If you are non-WGA and approaching super indie producers then fine, but in the mainstream I'd err on the side of caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                      But I wonder what reps do during this time besides catch up on reading? Cry?
                      They can still send director samples, articles, books etc. They will work with their clients to prepare for post-strike - get that pitch/spec etc. ready to go. And the thousand things that get put to the side in normal times.

Comment

Originally posted by Northbank View Post

And the thousand things that get put to the side in normal times.
                        Like the slush pile?

Comment

Most execs and reps will try to clear the pile, the inbox, and the to do list.

Comment

Maybe I can get some juice going on my 30 Rock spec called SCABS written during the last strike where Liz Lemon is forced to put on a show with a bunch of scabs including the hot dog cart vendor or the show will be cancelled forever.

Comment

Honestly, the best idea I've heard in awhile. A spec about scabbing would have a great chance of getting read by showrunners right now.

Comment

Holy crap -- rereading a spec from 2007 is insane! So many outdated things. Freaking MySpace jokes! A time capsule into my mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X